sol812
CMS benchmarking, Really interresting - ( Xoops slow)
  • 2004/5/3 15:24

• sol812

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/4 1

CMS benchmarking. of many CMS systems
Xoops is very slow - more slow than e-107 and php-nuke

you can see the real report here and get your view
feedback welcome -

Click here>XOOPS CMS benchmarking test > slow

kind regards

SOL812
Easy Find property.com ( real estate listing software)

DonXoop
Re: CMS benchmarking, Really interresting - ( Xoops slow)

Says them.

"really slow" and "really interesting" is very subjective.

My neighbour's car is faster but mine is still better.

Maybe I'm a magican but my XOOPS site seems really fast despite having limited available bandwidth. But I'm doing something much different than the stated "standard installation, 1 news".

Your mileage may vary. Mine does.

studioC
  • 2004/5/3 15:54

• studioC

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/7

of course, perhaps this XOOPS installation has catched a cold or they loose a zero before counting load time of xoops, it's sure 0.16390 that will mean ....

michael

sol812
  • 2004/5/3 16:34

• sol812

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/4 1

hi DonXoop

I did not write " REALLY SLOW " I just write = slow
and I believe the testers made a fair job.

I like more hear from Viking "mithrandir" what we wil see in future development - maybe there will be more focus on speed in next generation XOOPS -

maybe some developers like to chat and give a wink - about XOOPS -

of course I undertand XOOPS have a lot of modules and coding so it need load a lot - other CMS are just lite vertions and have not so big modules program to offer - Only php-nuke, and postnuke compatible can follow XOOPS in this -

but I believe a lot of users like to have a helicopter view about what we are going to see - in future development of XOOPS - to make better performance - of there are something the development team can do - I am not a programmer but more a program editor

best regards,
Sol812

Mithrandir

Pffff - no caching

Quote:
I like more hear from Viking "mithrandir" what we wil see in future development - maybe there will be more focus on speed in next generation XOOPS -

I have only recently joined the core team and so far, I have been busy with other things as well, so it has only amounted to 2 bugfixes towards 2.0.7.

The guys with the big perspective are Bunny and Skalpa.

DonXoop

Quote:
sol812 wrote:
I did not write " REALLY SLOW " I just write = slow
and I believe the testers made a fair job.

you're right, it was "really interesting, XOOPS slow". Sorry.

But notice that the site is all about promoting a competing product and no surprise that the test has themselves as #1. It has limited validity to me, maybe true in a somewhat narrow context. I'd call it "slightly interesting, XOOPS gets a mention"

There is as with any site more than a basic install and obvious options and tweaks. The sites as tested if they were real sites would be very boring (basic install: 1 news). XOOPS can be very fast at least in my limited experience.

carnuke
  • 2004/5/3 17:43

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

This may sound very odd, but I have just installed Reynaldo's ShortURL hack and my site loads pages significantly faster!!! I mean I was not expecting this, but its happening. Maybe there's agood reason for this, but I am not aware of it

Richard

Riklaunim13
  • 2004/5/3 19:43

• Riklaunim13

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/3 1

no cold, no zero missing :) The load time may be different than on other computers but compared to other CMS XOOPS is there where he is :) Note that most of the biggest CMS are the slowest...

ackbarr

in a pure footrace, a procedural application will outperform an OOP performing the same tasks nearly every time. In addition, since PHP is an interpreted language, each class has to be "re-compiled" on every page execution, adding additional overhead. These results are close to my own personal impressions. As Riklaunim13 said, the biggest (feature-wise) CMS will end up being the slowest.

Does this mean that XOOPS is going about the problem "wrong," when there are demonstrably better performing ways of solving the problem? No, because the benefit of a proper OOP design is simplier code maitanence.

To the rest of the dev team - this does raise a good point. What can we do to improve performance of Xoops? Do we understand where the bottlenecks are?

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/3 20:48

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

ackbarr wrote:
in a pure footrace, a procedural application will outperform an OOP performing the same tasks nearly every time. In addition, since PHP is an interpreted language, each class has to be "re-compiled" on every page execution, adding additional overhead. These results are close to my own personal impressions. As Riklaunim13 said, the biggest (feature-wise) CMS will end up being the slowest.

Does this mean that XOOPS is going about the problem "wrong," when there are demonstrably better performing ways of solving the problem? No, because the benefit of a proper OOP design is simplier code maitanence.

To the rest of the dev team - this does raise a good point. What can we do to improve performance of Xoops? Do we understand where the bottlenecks are?

I personally think that Smarty is the biggest bottle neck of Xoops.

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits