Bulls
Can you answer this one?
  • 2004/4/19 20:42

• Bulls

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

Hi

Well uptil now you have answered every query of mine without fail. Been delighted. Right, next one is as follows:

If my main site has server probs or anything else that slows the site access to an unacceptable level could some detection code be written into the index file so that the user gets redirected to another site? I have 2 sites with the same company but oddly enough where i store my main site access problems rears its head now and then (like today). Last thing i want is someone not to be able to access the site as i am trying to create a commercial venture. I thought that if i mirror the site then have redirect capabilities built in to the main index file i can vastly reduce the above occuring.

Bulls
Sites-4u

Mithrandir
Re: Can you answer this one?

It all depends - do you know, why the site is slow? Is it the server response time? Processing time? Transmitting time (bandwith)?

If it is the first or last, I don't see how it can be done.

If it is the second, I guess it is possible to insert some checks to evaluate whether a certain limit has been reached and then redirect - but where those checks should be or how they could work, I don't know.

Bulls
  • 2004/4/19 20:54

• Bulls

• Just popping in

Hi Mithrandir

I am trying to find out why my site has problems. In the meantime i am cleaning it up bit time as there are a lot of redundant files. But getting back to the redirect question. What about a timer? If the site can't be loaded in say 10 secs then a redirect occurs?

Bulls
Sites-4u

Bulls
  • 2004/4/19 20:56

• Bulls

• Just popping in

Hi Mithrandir

I am trying to find out why my site has problems. In the meantime i am cleaning it up bit time as there are a lot of redundant files. But getting back to the redirect question. What about a timer? If the site can't be loaded in say 10 secs then a redirect occurs?

Bulls
Sites-4u

Mithrandir

Yes, but where should that timer be? The webserver doesn't know, when the request was sent and thus not how long the loading time has been. The only measure, we have available, is the processing time... which takes processing to do something about (see the paradox?)

Bulls
  • 2004/4/19 21:15

• Bulls

• Just popping in

Hi Mithrandir

Yes i can see your point but what is really bothering me at this point is why i have double posted hehe.

Bulls

Mithrandir

It happens from time to time

Login

Who's Online

95 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 95

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits