pigthree
Can't log in as administrator following install
  • 2004/1/20 17:16

• pigthree

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/16

I know that this question has been asked about a thousand times already on this forum, but in all those posts, there doesn't seem to be an answer

I've been working on an XOOPS site, and I'm now trying to install it on my web host.

The install went fine, but when I log in as administrator, it says "Thank you for logging in", and then returns me to the login screen. I have turned debugging on, globals are on, there is no firewall on my machine, etc. (although I am more than willing to revisit any of those checks if you think that's worthwhile).

One thing I did notice is that the install docs specify PHP 4.1.0 or higher, whereas the install guide on the Wiki says 4.0.5. My host is running 4.0.6, but I have installed that on my local setup, and it seems to be OK (it lets me log in, anyway). Is 4.0.6 going to be a problem?

Some of the threads have mentioned 'hosting issues', but not gone any further. What else can I check?

kjs222
Re: Can't log in as administrator following install
  • 2004/1/20 20:25

• kjs222

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/1 1

Do you have cookies turned off on your browser? I'd look at that as the issue first.

Other issue may be cache... make sure both cookies and cache are set right.

If you're still not up, try on a different browser/computer. That should help define the problem.

Hope you get it working,
Keith

robekras
  • 2004/1/20 20:43

• robekras

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2002/12/10

Your login name and your password seems to be ok. That is shown by the 'Thank you for logging in'.

XOOPS has now created (or has tried) to create a cookie. This cookie is stored (or not, if something is going wrong) on your machine under the URL name you logged in.
I would recommend to take a look at your cookies, and check whether there is a PHPSESSID cookie with that URL. And
is the URL which is shown in the browsers address field the same after the login?

In short: If XOOPS couldn't find a PHPSESSID cookie it assumes
that you are not logged in.

pigthree
  • 2004/1/20 23:17

• pigthree

• Just popping in

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I've tried in both IE6 and Firebird.

Firebird lists a PHPSESSID cookie under my site's address (path /). I get to the login screen by browsing to mysite/index.php. Following login, the URL stays the same (mysite/index.php).

I set up a test page for phpinfo(). The PHPSESSID cookie is listed under the HTTP Headers section and also in the PHP Variables section, so presumably XOOPS should be receiving the cookie as well.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate your help.

DonXoop

I would suggest getting the servers up to a more current PHP rev. But if you don't have control of the new server you might be out of luck if the problem isn't in your config.

Have you compared phpinfo() outputs between the two? You might find something that explains the problem. Have you tested a new user registration on the new server? That can appear to hang if you have zlib, gzip, or header problems in PHP or firewalls.

pigthree
  • 2004/1/21 15:36

• pigthree

• Just popping in

I'm a complete idiot. register_globals was turned on, and for some reason I thought that was the correct setting. When I compared the phpinfo() output, it was different, of course.

Thank you for all your help, and sorry to have wasted your time.

Login

Who's Online

126 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 126

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits