Mithrandir
Guard against defacement

Well, I had a little surprise waiting for me, when I loaded up my site.

Some punkasses from the other side of the world had found it funny to replace all my index.html and index.php files with their l33t page.

I'm a bit puzzled as to, how this can be done? How can someone gain access to a website's files just like that?

So if anyone feel like retaliating, please do so on ir4dex@hotmail.com

Oh - and is there a simple way to change all index.html files to the standard <script>history.go(-1)</script>? (well, obviously there is... since that is what they have done to me...)

WarDick
Re: Guard against defacement
  • 2004/1/17 16:18

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

What's up with l33t? I saw post on this site the other day speaking of their mischief. I did a google search of it. I went to the first link on the search page. When I left their site I unknowlying contaminated every one of my sites I visited? Who are these guys? What is their game? The site I visited just talked in tongue. Yes I am definitely interested in retaliating soundly. But how?

Bazus
  • 2004/1/17 18:49

• Bazus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/9/23

take a look at these two posts: 1 and 2

my sites were hit by this hacker too and looks like came back later and renamed my theme.html by theme_.html so be aware

Herko
  • 2004/1/17 20:01

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I've been told these guys/gals enter by misusing known lunix holes. That way they gain access to every account on the server, and with a script they replace index files with their own.. server wide. Contact your hosting provider to make sure that they have the latest patches and are aware of the issue. This is important, even tho the damage is done, they leave backdoors open or create superuseraccounts to gain access the next time...

Herko

NRTMOD
  • 2004/1/17 20:06

• NRTMOD

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/13

In a way that is good news to here. Good to hear that XOOPS is not at risk. Sorry to hear another XOOPS site got hacked.

Thanks for that Herko!

svaha
  • 2004/1/17 21:45

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Thnx Herko,
I've send a note to my host onsmart
Aloha

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits