biomech
Blank Page After Login
  • 2004/1/3 14:24

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/2/25

Hi,

I've just installed 2.0.5.1 (a bit of an upgrade from 1.3.8) and have been fooling around with themes/templates. In the process, I think I've got my theme and template out of sync (accidentally set a theme with a wrong template set or vice versa). Now when I log in, I get a blank page. This happens even though I'm logging in as an administrator, so I'm not able to access any of the control panel features.

I've been looking through the database with phpMyAdmin, but I'm still not sure what values should be set to what in order to reset - I was previously able to log in with the default template set and the 'phpkaox' theme. Anyone know what database values I'd have to reset to get back to that configuration?

Any help appreciated.

- b -

Herko
Re: Blank Page After Login
  • 2004/1/3 15:12

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

When you have logged in, go to yoursiteaddress/admin.php as that should let you in the admin section. There you can restore the themes and templates.

By the way, themes and templates do not need to be synched, you can use any theme without changing the template set, and vice versa. The theme controls the placement of elements, the templates controls the look of those elements.

Herko

biomech
  • 2004/1/3 16:36

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/2/25

Thanks - I was up late doing this and totally forgot that I could get around it by going straight to the admin panel page. I think the problem was that I had a different theme set as the "user selectable theme" than I had set to be the default theme for the board. I'm not too sure exactly, but its working for now.

Thanks for the reminder about themes and templates as well. I'm just starting to wrap my head around those concepts.

One other thing I'm still trying to figure out is... Can a user select his own theme in 2.* or not? I don't see an option for that in the Edit Account page...

- b -

CBlue

If you put the theme block on your site and set the group permissions for that block for whatever groups you want to have access to it, a user will be able to select the theme they want to have for your site the entire time they are on your site. But as soon as they leave your site and come back later, the theme they see will be the default theme you set in your general settings in system admin. Just don't forget to go to the general settings and highlight all the themes that you want users to be able to use.

DonXoop

I seem to remember that the users table has a setting for the theme. I'm not sure if the System always sets this to the default or if it is just a missing feature to have it personalized. Of course this setting should reset if the configured theme isn't available sometime later.

CBlue

There is no place in the user account pages to set a certain theme as your default. phpBB2 has that feature and I'd love XOOPS to add the feature of theme default option for registered users in their accounts.

Mithrandir

e-xoops has this, but not XOOPS

CBlue

I believe that postnuke and phpnuke has this option for users too. I think it is something extra for users of a community site to be able to choose their own theme for the site. If that site wants to provide lots of theme choices for their users. I have the theme block for all my users available on one of my sites and they all love it.

Users have different screen resolutions and sometimes they have problems with seeing certain themes, so it comes in handy for a webmaster to be able to give their users different choices in themes to suit their users.

Mithrandir

True, could be something to set in a user profile, but the theme block even makes it possible for anonymous to select their preferred theme. I like that

CBlue

I like that too. But you can have the theme block visible so that people can try out the different themes, but if your users want to have a certain theme showing on their site everytime they visit it, then it would be much easier for them to do that if they can set a certain theme as default for them so that they don't have to keep searching through your theme block to find the one that they like to use. So having the theme block is a must but also allowing your registered users to set their own theme default for everytime they visit you is a plus.

Keeping registered users as happy with your site as possible is a good thing and keeps them coming back. Every little thing a webmaster can do extra to personalize their site for their registered users, makes happy users and a happy webmaster.

Login

Who's Online

259 user(s) are online (182 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 259

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits