pstrasma
Gallery with working Xoops search?
  • 2003/12/26 21:17

• pstrasma

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/23

I choose to use Gallery 1.3.3 on my site as it was the most popular graphics module in the download section. After using it, I noticed that the search function is not integrated with the main XOOPS search. Reading the forums, I see that there are a few other bugs in 1.3.3 that other users have hacked. I also see that there is talk of a new, better-integrated gallery module for XOOPS 2.1 along with several other heavily used .

So, has anyone hacked Gallery 1.3.3 to use the main search?

Alternatively, what is the status of the new module? Will it use the main XOOPS search function?

Thanks!

SirTanksAlot
Re: Gallery with working Xoops search?

I can't speak to anything related to a new gallery module. But as far as XG1.3.3.3 goes, I'd suggest the following:

1) Take a look at www.xoopsgallery.org. This is a site for specific help on XoopsGallery and to submit and track bug and feature requests.

2) Integrating the gallery search into the XOOPS search won't be a particularly easy or quick process. The problem is b/c the XOOPS search looks for information that is stored in the database. All of the gallery descriptions/captions/etc are stored in files as part of the base mechanism used by Gallery.

That being said there are some other requests on the XoopsGallery that speak to this dualality/problem/need.

Edit: By the way, what data are you interested in using for the searches? I haven't tried to use the search built into Gallery...

pstrasma
  • 2003/12/30 7:04

• pstrasma

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/23

Just looking to grab the captions and descriptions. I'm setting up an alumni site and it would be nice to have a search on a person's name hit both the forums (used for class notes) and the gallery (for photos).

And nope, I don't see anything useful in the xoopsgallery_image table

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/30 7:34

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I think you may have to keep them separate for now. Maybe find a way to pass that info onto your users, that if they want to do an image seach, due to server limitations (just for technical merit) you are unable to do both and that they should go to the gallery home page to do a search. All other searches can be used normally. Throw it in an FAQ and pin it into your forums.

Anyhow, I personnaly am not upgradding my xoopsgallery until the actual gallery has been upgraded along with the next major XOOPS upgrade. Following that, the xoopsgallery mod makers will need to make their upgrades compatible with both. I'm using the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' rule since I have everything I need functioning perfectly on my site as it is, without hacks or modifications. (other then esthetics and inconsequential changes)

I know it's not much help, but I get the impression that what your looking for isn't detrimental to your sites operation (for the moment).

Up to you though

CBlue

I've noticed though that my xoopsgallery module is not working correctly now since I upgraded to 2.0.5.1. I used to be able to click on a thumbnail and have the full sized pic pop up, now there is an error. I may switch to a new gallery module that will work with 2.0.5.1. Any suggestions of which one is the best for the latest version of xoops?

DonXoop

Do you have the version 1.3.3.3? They made some bug fixes recently. I can't say much since I only recently discovered Xoops. But the full size popup works for me (registered users only). There are settings for how this behaves in Admin.

I've not done much for searches but the Gallery specific search works as far as I can tell. It just doesn't tie into the main search.

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits