thans
global categories
  • 2003/12/22 11:19

• thans

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/29

hi there

Are there any plans to make global categories? Something like the group permission feature. So you can categorize (or "tagging") articles, events, forum posts, contacts etc.

what do you think about?

- Thomas

DonXoop
Re: global categories

I'll let the devs comment further but I like the idea. The mod devs would have to include code to use these categories. There is an Images system that I thought would be part of a global category system but most modules don't use it. When I have an option to apply an image I'm told that images must be located in modulexx/images/ directory. Would have been nice to select from images already available instead of populating yet another directory with perhaps redundent images.

But that is only the easy part of global categories.

skalpa
  • 2003/12/22 14:31

• skalpa

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/16

I've just started writing a big document that will explain all the planned features extensively, so I won't comment deeply here today: both ideas will be implemented (having global cats to store content + setting up central data repositories easily usable by module devs).

Skalpa.>

DonXoop

This is good news!

For just the global images module that is partly there now it would really help a site to make it available to any module/template/block . Instead of selecting from proprietary image locations you could select from the global images. You could have sizing options so that only one core image is needed (or not). The resulting sized image is cached and would notice when the core image has changed and then refreshed. Even without sizing options you could categorize all the needed images already sized.

You could store all the site's images, buttons, backgrounds, etc. in this system. When listing the images you would get a generated URL suitable for insertion into themes etc where a config isn't present. Right now I get the URL from a right click and link copy so I can live with that. I then cut the full hostname and replace with a $xoops_url etc. variable.

Good work devs..

Login

Who's Online

250 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 250

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits