epiqmail
Using Microsoft Access vs My SQL
  • 2003/12/10 6:15

• epiqmail

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/6

Does anyone know how to install XOOPS and use Microsoft Access vs MySQL? I like MySQL but I am the only one in my IT Department that knows it and people are more comfortable working with Access for the time being.

Is there any way to install Xooops and run it with MS Access vs MySQL.

Again, thank you in advance for the help. God bless.

Scott McCarthy

RicoCali
Re: Using Microsoft Access vs My SQL
  • 2003/12/10 6:59

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

Hmmm...thats odd. If you're the only one that knows MySQL and people would be more comfortable to use ACCESS, what makes you think they are going to be comfortable with PHP. I'm guessing that ASP is what they want. I don't subscribe to this site but just in case you do get into that delimna you might want to take a look at this:

http://www.aspnuke.com

As far as your original question. The support for Access, PostGreSQL, etc.. has not been written yet. The good news is that XOOPS is the only CMS I know that have design this properly. They abstracted the database calls to a middle-tier and you can find all the source for it in /html/class/database. All they need to do now is build it for all these other databases. I'm sure someone can do it for you. You might have to pay them though

epiqmail
  • 2003/12/10 14:45

• epiqmail

• Just popping in

Thanks for the info. I looked at ASPNUKE and it only supports SQL server. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a SQL license to support an Intranet site so I guess I am going back to MYSql. Thanks for the info.

It also look like XOOPS is the best designed system anyway.

Scott

DonXoop

If the concerned people knew all about MySQL they wouldn't need you right?

What would they do in Access if the board ran on it anyway? The board does all the SQL and they don't have to see the backend no matter what it runs. I won't argue MySQL vs Access, X runs on MySQL.

If they want to feel all GUI nice with Access than install MyODBC and from Access you can see MySQL via linked tables. But you definetly don't want anyone with more than read-only, let XoopS do the SQL unless they really know what they are doing.

mktwain124
  • 2003/12/10 15:05

• mktwain124

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/27

There's another possibility:

Use MyODBC

Your IT partners can use ACCESS to connect to the MySQL database via ODBC. This way you can continue to use MySQL/XOOPS as designed by the devs, and your IT people can populate/modify the data using the familiar ACCESS API.

oops, looks like DonXoop beat me to the punch

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/10 16:44

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

mktwain124 wrote:
There's another possibility:

Use MyODBC

Your IT partners can use ACCESS to connect to the MySQL database via ODBC. This way you can continue to use MySQL/XOOPS as designed by the devs, and your IT people can populate/modify the data using the familiar ACCESS API.

oops, looks like DonXoop beat me to the punch

I think you missed the point. He was refering to ACCESS the database not ACCESS the development environment.

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/10 16:47

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

epiqmail wrote:
Thanks for the info. I looked at ASPNUKE and it only supports SQL server. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a SQL license to support an Intranet site so I guess I am going back to MYSql. Thanks for the info.

It also look like XOOPS is the best designed system anyway.

Scott

Well all you have to do in ASP is change the connection string information and all the code should work as long as ASPNUKE are not calling any stored procedures.

mktwain124
  • 2003/12/10 20:10

• mktwain124

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/27

RicoCali wrote:
Quote:
I think you missed the point. He was refering to ACCESS the database not ACCESS the development environment.

Actually, I was referring to MS ACCESS, the database. MyODBC allows you to use another database such as ACCESS as the front end API to connect to MySQL, the backend database.

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/10 22:33

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Actually, I was referring to MS ACCESS, the database. MyODBC allows you to use another database such as ACCESS as the front end API to connect to MySQL, the backend database.

So how does that relate to his original question? He wants XOOPS to use ACCESS the database. He doesn't want to use ACCESS to utilize mySQL as the database.

epiqmail
  • 2003/12/12 2:47

• epiqmail

• Just popping in

Thanks for the info. I broke down and put XOOPS on MySQL. It is running great. I looked at aspnuke but it just didnt have the feel of Xoops. I really like Xoops. I appreciate the suggestions. I am going to download the MyODBC program and have our other users link to the MySQL database.

I am just afraid that if I have any problems with the MySQL database, I dont know enough to fix it. I guess I will deal with it when it happens.

Is there a quick way to backup the XOOPS site and MySQL database?

Scott

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits