zer0fill
initial install, won't allow passwords with special chars like $
  • 2003/12/2 6:23

• zer0fill

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/2

since my password has some non-alphanumeric characters, the installer would rip out part of my MySQL dbpass ie: abcdef$a533 to abcdef3 (or something similar).

i was able to find it in the install script where a function that (guessing) made all input "safe." there are two ways to work-around this problem. edit the installer and remove the function or when the installer says it couldn't connect to the db, manually edit mainfile.php and type in the right password.

DonXoop
Re: initial install, won't allow passwords with special chars like $

I'm new to the X myself but think I might point out a thing or two. You have the options under System Preferences / User Info Settings to set name/password limits. Default is strict alpha/numerical. You can choose Strict, Medium, or Light (allows multi-byte). You could keep the login name and password at Strict (more secure?) but the user can still use multi-byte for the rest of the profile like Real Name, Location, Sig etc.

Personally I would keep database naming strictly Latin Alpha. This still leaves the MySQL optional description text fields in any language you want. Comment your settings as much as you can in your language, no problem. Less worries if you keep the database names and authentication at alpha/num. But most of the content is as you wish.

Mithrandir

database names and authentication is not always something you choose yourself

zer0fill
  • 2003/12/2 17:02

• zer0fill

• Not too shy to talk

DonXoop,

I was referring to the actual database's password, not a user of XOOPS or table names.

MithyT2,

Are you saying people who can choose their own password and like it to be a lot stronger against brute force attacks are SOL (unless, of course, they do the work-around)? I thought i would just point out this bug.

Mithrandir

I just replied to DonXoop

what's SOL?

zer0fill
  • 2003/12/2 18:24

• zer0fill

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

MithyT2 wrote:
I just replied to DonXoop

what's SOL?

ah, ok. sorry, i thought you were replying to me.

sol is Saddly Out of Luck

DonXoop

Oh I see, you have a working db password but the install barfs when you specify it in mainfile.php? That would be a bug I guess unless there is a text sanitizer against it making it deliberate, Catch-22. Fortunatly I can use a pretty good password with alpha/num and then lock down MySQL (db user from localhost or single IP only).

Login

Who's Online

217 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 217

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits