RicoCali
Re: Xoops 2.1 Module development Roadmap
  • 2003/12/2 5:56

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/7/29

I think everything should be a block since it really is anyways.

ajaxbr
  • 2003/12/3 2:42

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

Quote:
I think everything should be a block since it really is anyways.
Dingdingdingding!
You nailed it, most of my suggestions and all important wishes I have can be summed up in one sentence:
Take the extra step and make XOOPS content handling Object Oriented for the end user

So... how does that sound? I can give a couple examples of advantages and even show some related implementations. Any takers?

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/3 3:23

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Umm, can I have a Twinki Module? If I feel like a snack, I just click a link in the module and a Twinkie pops out. I'm sure the development of more options can be added later. Like, Coke and a Smile, Bun and a Blintz or Bong and Shmoke?

Seriously, I can't think of anything to add, because it's all been mentioned. Some really great ideas.

Cheers

Mmmm, Beer Module....

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/3 5:06

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

ajaxbr wrote:
Dingdingdingding!
You nailed it, most of my suggestions and all important wishes I have can be summed up in one sentence:
Take the extra step and make XOOPS content handling Object Oriented for the end user

Well I think if they go down this direction they will do more streamlining. They are smart streamlining the modules. They might as well streamline the content repositories as a block instead of having a block and a module frame. Hmmm..I don't think they even have a name for it.

thans
everything as a block
  • 2003/12/3 14:15

• thans

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/29

yeah, having all the content as a block is a really nice idea.

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/4 3:38

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

Could we also make the poll block show the results of the current poll on the block itself instead of going to a separate page to show the result. Also log it into the database that the user has already polled so that the next time he logs back into the site it doesn't ask the same question that he already answered. Instead he sees the graphical results on the block...Thank you

gruessle
  • 2003/12/4 8:12

• gruessle

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/20

Great idea RicoCali.

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/4 19:13

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Ok, I think I thought of something I would like to see. If this is a duplicate request, my appologies in advance, but I don't think I've seen it in this post.

Would it possible to have a pre-made "How To" section for users of the site. To understand more of what I am talking about, you can see what I mean by looking at phpbb2's How To areas that come standard with installation.

The more complex our systems get, the more our users (read site visitors) are going to want and need to now how to use a certain area of the site. I could create the How To myself, but being just one person and only using parts of XOOPS I need, I would invariably overlook some areas. If the development team were to create this for each of there supported modules, it would save us (or me) painstaking time and effort. Essentially, just covering the core modules that come with a standard distribution.

Naturally, if I were to add other interactive modules for my users from third parties, I would have to create my own how-to's and not expect mod developers to include this sort of material on their own. So my next addition to this module would be, or need however the case me be read, to have an option for the site administrator to add their own how-to's for anything they need, with the ability to modify and delete any of the entries that would come standard with the XOOPS installation.

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear, sometimes I tend to talk in circles

RicoCali
  • 2003/12/4 21:16

• RicoCali

• Not too shy to talk

I think your statement is more directed to "content" rather than a "module" feature. You can do that with a few modules and just add the "how to" content.

pstrasma
Re: WF-Channels in Core & Contact Us module
  • 2003/12/24 0:08

• pstrasma

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/23

Apologize for the cross post, but my comments on WF-Channels seem more appropriate here.

Basically, I'd like 2 things from the 2.1 modules. First, I'd like to see the Contact Us module beefed up into a total About this Site package. Second, I'd then also like a robust way build / wrap content pages whether this is provided by the new Sections, WF-Channels, or some other add-in.

Quote:
A few things strike me as good ideas after playing around with this module [WF-Channels] on my site (http://piquant.us/imsa/):

1) Integration to Contact Us module & Site Info block
There is an overlap of intended functionality between these three parts. WF-Channels should superscede the "refer a friend" function of the Site Info block. And why not enable a WF-Channels about link and the Contact Us link in that block as well? I've done by editing the templates and hinding the other modules; however, it would be much cleaner if 3 three parts were integrated.

2) Ability to manage multiple top-level content trees
Often there is a need for more than one content trees. If possible, it would be helpful to have the option to make each channel a parent with it's own main menu link. For example, I am currently implementing my site's "About this Site" content tree with WF-Channels and the "Reunion 2004" content tree with TinyContent. I next need to add a third tree with another set of content. It would be ideal to manage all these pieces in the same module, sharing the same set of templates, images, etc...

3) Separation of About, Refer, Link (& Contact Us) functionality
Counter to my above statement, it does seem like these pages are truly specialized. Features like RSS generation out of the news module are great but pretty unrelated to the general content function. So maybe it would make sense to split this project into 2 separate modules, WF-Channels & say WF-About? WF-Channels should become the generalized content manager with multiple trees in point #2 and WF-About could become to specialized about this site module.

Just my $0.02. Great work!

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits