Per4orm
News module enhancements
  • 2003/11/24 4:13

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

God, you guys must be getting sick of the sound of my voice (metaphorically speaking, of course!) - but at least I ask nicely! ;)

It just occured to me that it would be nice to have a few basic alterations made to the News module:

1) When you are in News, the menu expands and shows the news topics as sub-sections within the main menu.

2) Each topic has it's own archive, or topics can perhaps be filtered from within the main archive.

3) Instead of the News module just showing the most recent news, it displays the most recent news by topic.

Maybe it's just me who would find it useful - and if so, just tell me to hide in a corner with my hands on my head. I just kind of think it would help create a "channels" feel to a XOOPS site. To be honest, I might have a try at hacking it myself - but that would mean dusting off ye olde book of PHP and having a bloody good read of the API before I can even start, so it might be easier (and about 10 years quicker!) if another dev wanted to do the honours!

Cheers,
Gareth

Herko
Re: News module enhancements
  • 2003/11/24 7:17

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Gareth,

I think your suggestions make sense, I also like to see the news module enhanced in this way. What I can tell you is the the XOOPS Module Development Team is currently getting ready to give a number of 'core' modules a major upgrade, starting with the newbb forum module (there's a thread started by Predator circulating around here somewhere asking for feature requests for the newbb forum module). This will also be done for the news module. We can't do everything at once, but within 10 years, we should be able to manage that

Herko

Mithrandir

Expanding on Herko's post, I can now proudly announce that I will be responsible for the update of the News Module.

Quote:

Per4orm wrote:

1) When you are in News, the menu expands and shows the news topics as sub-sections within the main menu.

Would be nice, but would also need a new way of building the main menu (/me kicks the ball to the Core Dev's court)
Quote:

Per4orm wrote:

2) Each topic has it's own archive, or topics can perhaps be filtered from within the main archive.

Deffo an improvement.
Personally, I'd say that a search page would also come in handy
Quote:

Per4orm wrote:

3) Instead of the News module just showing the most recent news, it displays the most recent news by topic.

This has been voiced by several people today (or are you cross-posting? Can't remember the author of the other post) and I will look into the possibilities and find the optimal way of displaying/toggling this

Huzza

Big_Bro
  • 2003/11/24 23:58

• Big_Bro

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/26

Regarding #3, to display the news by topic, that is on alot of peoples lists for sure but it would be best I believe if you had the choice to keep the main news block as is and add another news display block you can insert elsewhere for a topical listing of stories.

Having a topical display of the news instead of the regular news listing as was specified above would make me very sad.

Choices are always better!

I think the ability to specify the # of stories displayed for each topic, and the ability to make it into a 1,2, or 3 column listing would be very cool indeed.

Per4orm
  • 2003/11/25 0:05

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

I'm in total agreement that choice is best. I know with other CMS systems, my main bug-bear has been the rigidity with which content within a module is displayed. I don't think, given the talent on the team, it would be too much of an issue to make the said improvements AND allow the the site administrator to decide which layout he/she prefers.

Mithrandir

Right - I will make this a toggle in News module admin for sure. No reason to ditch what is already made

Mithrandir

And for #1 of Per4orm's points, I've just been informed that this should not be a great nuisance - so expect that, too

(No ETA on it, though, I'm quite busy as it is atm - but keep those comments coming )

Big_Bro
  • 2003/11/25 0:19

• Big_Bro

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/26

Will it be done as a separate block so you don't have to even choose between topics or traditional, but run both? If so, my life will be complete.

Per4orm
  • 2003/11/25 0:22

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

Quote:

MithyT2 wrote:
And for #1 of Per4orm's points, I've just been informed that this should not be a great nuisance - so expect that, too

(No ETA on it, though, I'm quite busy as it is atm - but keep those comments coming )

Wahoo! Looking forward to it!

Mithrandir

I'll look into the possibilities of having toggles for

a) "Normal" news display or by topic
b.1) "Normal" block with latest news or big block with latest news per topic
OR
b.2) Per-topic news as a stand-alone block

Login

Who's Online

183 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 183

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits