Per4orm
Re: IPB 1.3 FINAL is out and...
  • 2003/11/24 21:20

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

Yeah, I can see what's bugging you, and it has been (and still is) one of the implementation issues I'm currently facing myself on one of my sites. If it's JUST a common log in you're after, I might be able to get somebody to have a look at it, though I can't promise anything. I'm not a programmer myself, but a freelance PHP developer did offer some free help on my site. I'll ask him if he's got the time to have a look at integrating the logins and profiles.

At this point, I'd just like to say that Herko was right when he closed the other thread. Things got way out of control, and there was a lot of animosity floating around... that's not what the XOOPS community is about. For my part, I'd like to appologise, and hope that everyone else involved can do the same.

Gareth

tom
  • 2003/11/24 21:36

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:
So there is NO practical use for the built in forum. Even on a fresh installation, the built in forum is very unattractive and lacks most of the basic features and interface items mature BBs have.

OK but you said:

Quote:
I am running vB3 on most of my sites BUT what I will do is integrate IPB 1.3 when the mod is available and I will put a link to my vB3 forum called Old Forum and leave both forums running and I will ask the vB3 users to re-register on the main forum etc. etc.

Which means they would they would need to re-register that way any way, so that is very nice BUT if you chose this method, then your members would still need to re-register.

OK how about trying this approach, you want DEV's to do you VB or IPB, more than likely not going to happen so........... and please read:

contact: Catz he is the team leader for module developers or Draven who you've already met and word it like this.

I've see and tested XOOPS capabilities however the newbb lacks a few things most people would love to see, How much would it take to sponsor you/xoops to work on developing additional features for newbb, not only would this help me (that's you) but would help give something back to the community, also as a side issue would you be willing to make a conversion script so all my member accounts are transferred into xoops.

or is it important to keep all the content intact too, after all you can lock all your old forum up for posting, and use it as a archive/reference base.

This may work, sponsored module development, I'm not guaranteeing anything though, but worth a try, and there is more chance of this than module intergration with VB

Sponsored Module Development for the community.

hope this be of some help

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/24 22:14

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
Which means they would they would need to re-register that way any way, so that is very nice BUT if you chose this method, then your members would still need to re-register.

It really bugs me when people who have no clue try to sound intelligent.

No, they would not have to re-register because IPB has a import script which will convert my vB3 forum to IPB 1.3. OK?????

As far as buging the Devs to improve this forum, it would take them years to catch up with IPB or especially vB3.

And I am starting to like XOOPS more and more by the day therefore downgrading my vB3 to IPB is a real hearbreak and that is puting it mildly.

Furthermore, there will be a IPB 1.3 Mod for XOOPS very soon because the guy who is doing it assured me and others it will be out VERY soon, so people will only have to register once for the site and once for SocketMail. ALSO, we hope to have a SocketMail mod soon as well.

tom
  • 2003/11/24 22:25

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

It really bugs me when people who have no clue try to sound intelligent.

I was simply trying to help by offering a solution and possible way for you get close to what you need, and you throw insult at me, this is uncalled for, rude & disrespectful, you have no idea how intellegent I am, and if your so intellegent do it your self.

You may consder this post an official warning from the XOOPS Core Team. This means that your posts will be under scrutiny, and you will have to behave. If your posts are found any of the following: rude, disrespectful to another member, unfoundedly bashing the XOOPS system (and not just here), obnoxious, overly demanding, rude (again, want to make this VERY clear), your account here will be removed.

This is now the second time.

tom
  • 2003/11/24 22:28

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

May I just add, and I quote from your firs post:

Quote:
I will put a link to my vB3 forum called Old Forum and leave both forums running and I will ask the vB3 users to re-register on the main forum etc. etc.

so therefore it was you who said they would re-reg first, I was working of that suggestion.

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/24 22:43

• Anonymous

• Since:

Yes Tom, but I just found out that the IPB 1.2 Import which imports vB3 to IPB will also work for IPB 1.3 so the re-registering part is only for people who want to post on the new forum. I cannot delete the posts from the current forum because they are indexed by the search engines, so I will make a db backup and run both at least for a while.

And I am sure you can see how frustrating all this is. I mean here we have a great product lie, XOOPS but is is so proprietary and we have other products which would complement one another if there were a standardised registration and login system.

So I am frustrated big time. What can I say I am at my wits.

tom
  • 2003/11/24 22:56

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
So I am frustrated big time. What can I say I am at my wits.

You maybe but what fault of this is mine, none, we offer a free product developed by people in there free time, I'm sure if you bought a commercial system like this you would pay thousands $$$, but that is not the point.

If your really stuck why not search the web find a independant developer and ask him for a quote, I know most would do the work, if payed hansomly.

At the end of the day all has been said in this thread or another, CORE Developers have said they will not modulise these products, especialy a commercial product governed by other copyright laws, being a CORE developer, they Develop the CORE which is XOOPS and it's CORE Modules, as you see in the STD DL package.

Now please by throwing insults will get you know where, and people will loose respect, it's just not called for.

End Of topic.

TOPIC LOCKED

Login

Who's Online

381 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 381

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits