Anonymous
IPB 1.3 FINAL is out and...
  • 2003/11/24 17:49

• Anonymous

• Since:

Ok, IPB just release the 1.3 final and it is an awsome product from previous verions.
I have been beta testing the 1.3 for a while now.

I would like to ask if the IPB 1.2 Module can be upgraded so we can integrate IPB 1.3

I am running vB3 on most of my sites BUT what I will do is integrate IPB 1.3 when the mod is available and I will put a link to my vB3 forum called Old Forum and leave both forums running and I will ask the vB3 users to re-register on the main forum etc. etc.

Will you guys do this please? I will donate additional funds to support you guys if you please update the IPB Mod.

Max

tom
Re: IPB 1.3 FINAL is out and...
  • 2003/11/24 18:00

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I know this module is being developed on these sites:

bbpixel

which used to be Koudanshi <--- http://www.koudanshi.net

It's not the latest version of IBF but it's worth asking, and it may already be being worked on.

Hope this is of help.

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/24 18:15

• Anonymous

• Since:

Thanks Tom. I would feel more comfortable if the Mod was done but the XOOPS core team who know XOOPS inside an out cause I would hate to have a bunch of bugs in it.

But I will check with those people too but from experience, their work is full of bugs. Trust me, I hand out on that site ;)

Per4orm
  • 2003/11/24 18:21

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

Hang on just a second... there's been a bit of a change of heart here hasn't there? Not complaining at all though!

Only yesterday you wouldn't touch IPB with a barge-pole! Out of interest then, is the new 1.3 somewhat closer to what you get from vB3 currently?

tom
  • 2003/11/24 18:35

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

To be honest and blunt, unless you find a independent developer on here, I very much doubt a core developer modulising the new version for you. here are some of the reasons:

+ We already have a Forum mod
+ We are currently looking into improving usability and features
+ Porting a whole forum board (PHPBB, IBF, etc) there's a hell of a lot of scripts here and a hell of a lot of work too, we're not talking about hours of work more like days, or months dependant on that developers free time, and unless they have a use for that mod, well then it's a lot of there time wasted when they could be improving what we already have easier, and better, so that we're not restricted by other licensing.

Don't get me wrong I know NewBB lacks in a lot of ways, but there are many reasons I wouldn't use another forum module:

+ When XOOPS upgrades the system for say a security bug, or just general upgrade, and it's essential for you to upgrade, your left waiting for further development of the module to ensure it works with the new version of Xoops.
+ You cannot guarantee that developer is going to be able to help you if needed, where as XOOPS you can guarantee some Dev can offer advice and support
+ And most importantly for me, I believe in XOOPS and it's product, we have imho the best team out there, and we're all committed to further development of Xoops, we're all here to continuously support, and I would sooner wait and see our product progress than use any 3rd party module and find it hard to come back later when newbb far outruns other forum software.

I have faith in our team, our community they've had patients & support with/for me when I first got here, so I owe the same back and will wait to see further development of the XOOPS core and XOOPS modules, including NewBB.

I see from other posts you will be determined to try and find a dev for this project and I really do wish you luck

Please don't take my post as a argument, I have simple point out reasons a XOOPS Dev may not take the work on and reasons why I stand by XOOPS & Newbb

Take care

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/24 18:36

• Anonymous

• Since:

Yes, 1.3 is very stable and has some key features I needed.
When they said it will be released soon I did not expect it to be like that fast. It still has a long way to go to catch up with vB3, but the key features are all there.

Max

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/24 20:11

• Anonymous

• Since:

Tom, that is very nice BUT what are people who want to use XOOPS supposed to do when they already have a large community on their forums. There is no Import script even and the XOOPS forum canno even handle the data in the vB3/IPB databases. So there is NO practical use for the built in forum. Even on a fresh installation, the built in forum is very unattractive and lacks most of the basic features and interface items mature BBs have.

Per4orm
  • 2003/11/24 20:19

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

Max,

What I might consider doing for one of my own sites, where I do need a more mature BB, is simply have it as a seperate entity. For example, I disallow comments so the only reason somebody would log into my site is to use the forums or to PM other members. Therefore there's no reason that the forum can't be completely seperate from the main XOOPS site, which I use for news delivery etc, but sharing a common header, theme etc to give the impression of being fully integrated. Still with me?

It's not going to be the best solution for ever, but it might help until the required integration is available.

Gareth

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/24 21:12

• Anonymous

• Since:

Yeah, that is a good point gareth. BUT I have some 100 authors who will be publishing their articles, columns and op-eds and they will also use the forums. Furthermore, members will also be allowed to post articles and thus far they have to log in twice, once for the forum and once for their email and soon a third time for the XOOPS driven site. So, can you see my frustration?

Max

CBlue

Too bad you couldn't create a portal around your VB board. Or maybe you could hunt for someone that could do it for you. It would be easier to do that then to move all your current users into xoops.

Login

Who's Online

367 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 367

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits