Catzwolf
Re: Use name() instead of uname()
  • 2003/11/10 2:11

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

GIJOE wrote:
Users have two type of name in most systems.
I think that the two names have the following characters each other.

1) Login name
It is used at login.
Therefore, it is necessary to limit the character which can be used.
(Especially with mutlibyte languages)
This information should not be opened to the public too much.
There are some systems which conceals Login name.

2) Nickname ("Real name" in some systems).
It is used for the display.
Because more various expressions are permitted,
the character which can be used should be abundant.

In XOOPS, I believe that uname should be "Login name" and name should be "Nickname".

But almost modules use $xoopsUser->uname() instead of name() for displaying.

"All modules should display Nickname instead of Login name."

If 'name' field isn't suitable for Nickname, 'nickname' field should be added into the user's table by Core Development Team.

All modules will have the ability to switch between the two.

chapi
  • 2003/11/10 7:45

• chapi

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/1/22

One more suggestion. Every module should have the possibility to create more than one mainmenu entry. At the moment it can have only one, but as many submenu entries as you like.

But when I think on it, this should propably get on the todo list for the core ...

PureLuXus
  • 2003/11/10 8:07

• PureLuXus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/3 2

xoopspolls
use the updated version fromhttp://wellwine.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=17
- add group permission

contact
usehttp://www.brandycoke.com/home/modules/cryptica/showfile.php?file_id=10
- option for multiple forms, i want more then 1 contact site.

partner
- using xoopsforms

blueangel
Re: make easy some administration functions
  • 2003/11/10 8:15

• blueangel

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/2/20

some new feauture to help the work of administrators

MyLink and MyDownloads Modules

In order to delete/modifiy an element you have to know his ID,
I think that is annoying. What about showing a simple list of ALL elements (displayed by page obviously) with their most important fields, with the buttons EDIT near each entry and also a checkbox near every record (like phpMyAdmin) to delete more than one if you desire? And also the feature to sort this records by date, clicks, etc. ?

Newbb
Likewise the above modules for Newbb module I would like to have a brief list of topics so you can decide for example to delete the oldest topics, or delete the topics without replies and so on

ps. sorry for my english and I hope these few ideas will be helpful

Mithrandir

Quote:

blueangel wrote:
some new feauture to help the work of administrators

MyLink and MyDownloads Modules

In order to delete/modifiy an element you have to know his ID,
I think that is annoying. What about showing a simple list of ALL elements (displayed by page obviously) with their most important fields, with the buttons EDIT near each entry and also a checkbox near every record (like phpMyAdmin) to delete more than one if you desire? And also the feature to sort this records by date, clicks, etc. ?

Excellent request - and something, I'm rather sure we'll do. I also find it annoying that it is easier for me to go to the MyDownloads section, modify the download and then approve the contest.

I believe there should be
a) A list in the Administration Menu listing downloads (sortable)
b) Auto-approval of moderators' modification requests (why do I have to approve my own modification? I'm webmaster for God's sake )
Quote:

Newbb
Likewise the above modules for Newbb module I would like to have a brief list of topics so you can decide for example to delete the oldest topics, or delete the topics without replies and so on

ps. sorry for my english and I hope these few ideas will be helpful

This idea, I like
Search like in "Members" for all forum topics more than a year old or noreplies and then have a single button to kill them all (with some confirmation steps afterwards... wush a mess you could do with this functionality, if you by accident took all the topics LESS than a year old)

Catzwolf
  • 2003/11/10 17:08

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Mithy:

No gold star for you my Boy, go to bottom of the class

My_downloads RC1 (RC2 will be released this week) already has this feature included in it!

We are also going to be releasing an interim version of newBB that will have a few of the most important features request, the one mentioned will be one of them. Will see if I can get the team working on this ASP

Mithrandir

Bottom of class?
Sorry, but I haven't been able to find time to upgrade to 2.0.5 and on the module dev site, I cannot find anything about editing downloads in the administration menu.

Still good suggestions, though - keep them coming, I'm sure Catz is taking notes and assign tasks.

For general information, I can add that there is already assembled a team of module devs to focus on the Newbb alone.

dlh
  • 2003/11/10 20:55

• dlh

• Since: 2002/2/20

Great news all the way around Catz!

I understand about the separation of modules from core. I have to watch my language and not call them core modules anymore. Perhaps "standard modules" would be better terminology.

Thanks for the updates, I love hearing what's on the horizon!

Dan

malexandria
Re: Xoops 2.1 Module development Roadmap

NEWS CATEGORY BLOCKS

A way to display News Topics by Individual Categories
in Blocks - with automatic bullets to distinguish headlines. So on the Home Page you can have 4 Blocks
for 4 Separate Topic Categories. Top News, Top Reviews,
etc... The ability to display these by recently added.

And maybe a single Top Line Block for the Headline of
the moment, where you can have a big photo with some
intro text or something. Which goes to the question of multi-column news.

REVIEWS MODULE

Although not at the top of my personal wish list, I know a lot of other people have been requesting some sort of reviews/ratings module for awhile now.

<b>TOTALLY REVAMPED SECTIONS or a SEPARATE DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM</b>

That allows for Unlimited Categories, User Uploads for documents, Chaptering Feature for individual articles, and unlimited category. See Fanfiction.net for an example of complete functionality.

NEWS MODULE

1) The Ability to upload pictures with Admins having the ability to set the picture size.

2) A real article ordering system, with the ability to set article order by length of time or "sticky articles" so we as editors, have more control over what articles permanently stay in the top one - three slots on the home page, with any newer articles going after those top three stores. I.E. I like my feature stories to remain at the top of the home page for at least a week, but I have writers who will just post 7 articles in one day, which screws up the look of the home page for that week. Beyond yelling at my writers, I would like a little more control over my home page and how/when articles post on it.

<b>DEACTIVATING READS/Views and any Article related stats FROM ADMIN SYSTEM</B>

I've been lobbying for this for several versions now, hopefully we'll get it for 2.1. But I think it's important
that site admins are able to activate or deactivate, or
set group permissions on the Read/Views in the forums and
articles. I don't think it looks professional to have the number of "reads" on display, and if you are just starting a new site, and people see that your articles or forums are getting (3) page views, I don't think that encourages participating. Like I would like writers and maybe the pr folks that I deal with to see the Reads/Views, but I don't want anonymous or regular readers to see that information.

I would also like to be able to deactivate the number of words, and bytes numbers as well.

<b>BUILT IN USER POINTS SYSTEM</B>

One of the most popular features on my site was the old User Points Mod, which doesn't work in the 2x Series. This feature would be completely customizable, allow us to assign points based on posting activity, and allow site admins to randomly change the start and end dates, etc...
The system already tracks all this activity, and we already have to the Top Members block, it's just a matter of adding more functionality to it.

<B>UNLIMITED HEADLINE CHARACTERS</B>

Characters in the headlines need to be unlimited. I hate being forced to change my headlines because they won't fit into the headline box.

<b>THEMES</b>

The only thing I'd like to see with the themes is to create 3 or 4 standard theme packages (A Corporate Package, a Magazine Layout Package, and?), but allow site admins to customize the colors, fonts, button navigation, etc., from within Xoops. Similar to how PHP BB and other apps do it. I think this "simple" feature will really open up XOOPS Themes to non-designers.

The ability to set different theme sets based on Categories.
Similar to how the old PN did it. I haven't used PN since the first few versions, so I don't know if they still have this feature, but it is very usefull for distinguishing sections.

<b>CATEGORY/SUB CATEGORY GROUPING AND BETTER URL PATHS</b>

I would like a way to really properly group all the various
news categories. So for instance I would like to have
users click Movies in the Navigation menu, and then have a
dedicated Page (with its own theme) for Movies. And then on that Home Page you have all the latest Movie Information nicely organized by Interviews, Movie Reviews, Movie News, etc.... And then if Someone clicks DVDs, or Technology we would be able to have something similar. As it is now, there's no way to do that.

Better URL Paths, that will make it easier for other sites to automatically index our contact. So if we tell someone that all our Movie Reviews are under Movie Reviews, all someone would have to do is link or write search scripts that pull content from "www.yoursite.com/moviereviews " right now the url path is really messy, and it's one of the reasons that my partner Google News, MRQE and other such indexing services is having trouble indexing our content, because it's properly categorized in the URL string.

<b>MENU NAVIGATION</b>

Automatic DHTML Menu Generation and the ability to put navigation on either the side or a top - drop down system (ala MS)

<b>META TAGGING</b>

A cleaner, more intuitive metatagging system. A way for the module to automatically generate metatags based on the actually documents, and not the static catch all way that it's doing now.

<b>MAIL USERS AND REAL NEWSLETTER FUNCTIONALITY</B>

I would like to get a Newsletter or Mail Users function that actually works. To this day I still can't get the Mail Users thing to work all that well. I would like to be able to send out a weekly newsletter with the option of sending it in HTML or Text format, Send A Specific Page (i.e. homepage, or maybe a special non-linked custom designed newsletter page, etc...) And then have automatic opt-out process.

<b>A Quiz/Contest Module</b>

A contest module would be pretty cool. A way to randomly select winners based on correct answers, after they post a certain number of times.

Win free stuff, visit us online at
http://www.eclipsemagazine.com

gruessle
Re: Xoops 2.1 Module development Roadmap
  • 2003/11/11 23:32

• gruessle

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/20

Never mind, already done. - Sorry

Login

Who's Online

252 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 252

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits