awreneau
RSS News Feeds Not Working
  • 2003/11/10 16:45

• awreneau

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/2/4 1

The hosting provider I have has asked some questions about the RSS News Feeds and I was hoping that I could get some specific answers here, being that I donw know. The questions are as follows:

"We don't have any such software running, unless this is a function of the site you have put up. What port is the other server trying to send to? Do you have an overview of how the process should work? If you can determine this, I will try to determine what piece is missing or being blocked. "

My thoughts are that they may be blocking something.

danruiid
Re: RSS News Feeds Not Working
  • 2003/11/10 17:58

• danruiid

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/3

Well, if your provider happens to be Aplus.net, they block all incoming and outgoing traffic, excepting HTTP, FTP, SMTP, POP and IMAP.

I called support once, I think I'll try it again...maybe this time during business hours, and get the real support staff!!!

techgnome
  • 2003/11/10 18:28

• techgnome

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/8/9 5

Well, as far as I know the RSS runs through the HTTP port. HOWEVER, there is a little known fact that the XML that is generated is not fully formed XML... it's got some flaws in it. What it is, I don't rightly know. A couple of tags are not supported I think. Are you trying to recieve an RSS feed, or use the backend.php RSS news feed to feed to another site?

TG

awreneau
  • 2003/11/10 18:30

• awreneau

• Friend of XOOPS

I'm trying to recieve and RSS feed.

From Slashdot, LinuxToday and Linux-Universe.

ackbarr

RSS Feed syndication causes your webserver to make a HTTP GET request to the url specified in each feed. This request should return a specially formatted xml file, which is then parsed and displayed in the xoopsHeadline block / module.

Your server uses the php function fopen() and requires the php directive allow_url_fopen to be enabled to function.

To troubleshoot RSS feed problems, turn on php debugging. If a feed cannot be accessed or is prohibited by security settings a php Warning error message will be displayed.

Additional Info:
fopen() - PHP Manual
XML.com - What is RSS?

svaha
  • 2003/11/11 1:32

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Well I found something on getting this RSS-feeds with some programming in Python, but I haven't the faintest idea what Python is.
I would like to test the rss feed of my weblog on another site (want to see if it works) but I don't know where and how to start. Is there anywhere a doc for beginners?

Aloha

ackbarr

is this other site also powered by Xoops? If not, you could take a look at this article, RSS Feeds for Dummies (author's title, not mine) for some programming tips on how to include an RSS feed using PHP.

If you just want to check that your feed works, you can retrieve your feed in your webbrowser. Each XOOPS site automatically has an RSS news feed available at:

<XOOPS_URL>/backend.php

So Xoops.org's RSS feed is located at:

https://xoops.org/backend.php

Open this page in your browser. If everything is working correctly the browser should display the rss feed in your browser. See the what Xoops.org's RSS feed looks like in Mozilla.

If the other site is using Xoops, you can use the XoopsHeadline module to display your feed. First, install the module. Next, enter the Headlines administration by clicking on the "Headlines" button.

In the "Add Headlines" section fill in the following:
Site Name: The name of your website
URL:http://www.yoursite.com/backend.php
URL of RDF/RSS file:http://www.yoursite.com/backend.php

You can leave the rest of the settings at the defaults. Click "Submit" to store your feed's information, then make sure the block is enabled in "System" -> "Blocks" and that the proper groups can access the headlines block in "System" -> "Groups".

Once done, navigate to the other site's home page. If everything is working properly you should now see the headlines from your site in the "Headlines" block

Good Luck!

Catzwolf
  • 2003/11/11 3:46

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Your hosting provider may have disabled file linking and this is where your problem may lay. If this is the case there is nothing you can do about it.

awreneau
  • 2003/11/11 17:08

• awreneau

• Friend of XOOPS

I've sent an email with a link with this thread in it so maybe your answers will clear up the questions that I'm not able to answer.

Thanks for the help.

awreneau
  • 2003/11/11 17:19

• awreneau

• Friend of XOOPS

I was shocked at the number of errors it generated about a few things, but specifically I see these errors.

Notice [PHP]: Undefined index: image in file templates_c/file%3A^var^www^html^lugot.org^modules^xoopsheadline^blocks^headline_block.html line 7
Notice [PHP]: Undefined index: items in file templates_c/file%3A^var^www^html^lugot.org^modules^xoopsheadline^blocks^headline_block.html line 18
Notice [PHP]: Undefined index: items in file templates_c/file%3A^var^www^html^lugot.org^modules^xoopsheadline^blocks^headline_block.html line 18

But I doubt this is a problem, given the fact that is generates and error about an image?

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits