NitroFoO
Backing up Site (Xoops + Modules)
  • 2003/10/5 20:59

• NitroFoO

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2002/1/26

I just want to get this all correct - and so I know what I'm doing before a major problem occurs. I usually back up my database every other day, and I want to know as long as I back it up, and have those - can I fully restore the database and its contents?

Like how would I go about using XOOPS and all the modules if I the DB becomes corrupt?

Would I need to install all XOOPS over again, and all the modules exactly, then upload the database overwriting some files?

Thank you.

ackbarr
Re: Backing up Site (Xoops + Modules)

how are you backing up your database? Are you exporting the data using phpMyAdmin? MySQL-Front? some other DB Front-end?

DobePhat
  • 2003/10/5 22:34

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Ackbarr:
your advice:

I currently back-up my db in a very crude way. ie:I just copy the data folder from mysql. Is that bad?

I have MYSQL-Front
I disabled PHPmyadmin for security reasons...
How do I do a clean backup with MySQL FRONT?

Thank you for your time:

ackbarr

Backing up the data folder in MySQL is ok - as long as nothing is modifying the tables as you are doing the copy. If this is what you are doing, stopping the MySQL process, copying your backups into the data folder then restarting the MySQL process should work fine.

In MySQL-Front you can make a db backup by going to
Im-/Export -> Export Tables

If interested in other db backup techniques (via shell commandline or through mysql) check out this article on mysql.com -http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Backup.html

NitroFoO
  • 2003/10/6 5:23

• NitroFoO

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2002/1/26

I'm backing up my MySQL database through CPanel, gives me the option to backup the database, by clicking on its name.

The DB's name is "xoopsdb" and my backups are downloaded as "xoopsdb.gz" - so i assume its downloading the entire db - but how to restore it? what do i need to do?

MadFish
  • 2003/10/6 13:29

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
Would I need to install all XOOPS over again, and all the modules exactly, then upload the database overwriting some files?

I would love to know the answer to the modules bit. We've done one restore from a backup of the database, but we only managed to recover the 'core' modules back - couldn't get the contents of other modules back.

Is there something 'extra' you have to do to recover modules as well ?

If some one who knows could have a go at the 'restore database' part of the Wiki, it would be a great service

DobePhat
  • 2003/10/6 14:22

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

ya know, it may LOOK like the module info is not there, BUT if you reinstall the modules...you will find that the data exists. Its kinda disheartening at first...but I think you will find all the information there....

Hober
  • 2003/10/7 21:23

• Hober

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/13

what would be really useful would be a module that could automatically do a db backup at specified intervals...maybe I'll sick myself on it.

But then again I don't really know mySQL very well. Maybe somebody else could do it though?

Login

Who's Online

122 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 122

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits