shivaji
subscription module
  • 2003/9/25 5:17

• shivaji

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/18

Hi:

I am interested to know if any progress is made in developing a Subscription based Membership Module like Promembers yet ?

I found this topic "Ramping up for subscription module (Promembers)" posted by tbrillon athttp://modules.xoops2.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=31&topic_id=181

========================================>

we look forward to just getting this project off of the ground, I thought it might be helpful to give you all some expectations of what we feel this module will do. If at the end of this reading you think there is something missing, please feel free to add a comment or two.

User Features:
* automated approval for user/members
* tied into the XOOPS User profile page for editing of info
* automatic renewal of memberships
* able set which memberships are renewable and which are not
* able to use PayPal
* able to use NoChex

Admin Features:
* able to activate and de-activate users on demand
* able to send bills out to customers on demand
* automatic ban to users for violating set number of ip's
* user account automatically switched to in-active if delequent on payment
* able to activate and deactive types of payments on demand
users/members password request form
* able to view active, inactive, and awaiting approval accounts
* able to search for members by username, e-mail address, first name, or last name (tied in to the XOOPS members piece)
* customization of module is done in admin
* automatic renewal of memberships
* able set which memberships are renewable and which are not

Thats all for now....

Please reply me. I am drastically looking forward to get a module like this. I have found good subscription manager software.http://www.cgi-central.net/scripts/amember/

Thanks and Regards,
Shivaji.

Herko
Re: subscription module
  • 2003/9/25 7:57

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

As I understand, that project is on hold due to other priorities of the developers We hope they'll soon pick up the thread and start developing again.

As for the amember software, that will not be incorporated into XOOPS as a module, since it isn't opensource software, and the licence doesn't permit it.

Herko

tom
  • 2003/9/25 14:11

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Apart from what Herko has already commented on, I wouldn't recommend AMember, for many reasons, 1 being it costs, then if XOOPS upgrades and AMember is not compatible, then you may need to pay them again to upgrade their own scripts.

I also so require a subscription mod, but for now I take payments in OSC then move members groups manualy, although this takes more work both on the web accounting, it is the safer option at presant.

Hope this helps.

shivaji
  • 2003/9/25 14:44

• shivaji

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi Herko:

Thanks for your reply. The features which was given at Promember was good enough to start Subscription based membership system for xoops. I am talking about when exactly you are going to start that thread ? Though I am bit microsoft inclined but still able to co-opearte you in your development. I am sure if you want, you can start that thread very immediately. Please tell me in what way you want my co-opeartion.

I am looking forward to you for a postive reply.

Thanks and Regards,
Shivaji.

shivaji
  • 2003/9/25 14:54

• shivaji

• Friend of XOOPS

.Quote:

tom wrote:
Apart from what Herko has already commented on, I wouldn't recommend AMember, for many reasons, 1 being it costs, then if XOOPS upgrades and AMember is not compatible, then you may need to pay them again to upgrade their own scripts.

I also so require a subscription mod, but for now I take payments in OSC then move members groups manualy, although this takes more work both on the web accounting, it is the safer option at presant.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tom:

You are right regarding AMember and its disadvantage, specially if we look from XOOPS compatibility issues.

Let me ask you few question.

Am I talking to Tom, who actually initiate a discusssion about Subscription Membership athttp://modules.xoops2.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=31&topic_id=181

I am curious to know. I saw him taken great interest for this module and posted many threads with no or less supportive reply from XOOPS core team.

Lastly, what is OSC ?? I am intersted to know about it. Please reply me with itys details.

Thanks and Regards,
Shivaji

tom
  • 2003/9/25 17:58

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Yeah I'm tom fromhttp://modules.xoops2.com I have great interest in this module as it's something I require, I know a few do and I've been talking with some via E-mail, including a gentleman called Bill Johnson.

Some one did take up the project but as you know sometimes things come up in real life which have greater importance, and thats what happened here from tbrillon.

Just to clear up a few things though, I'm not currently developing this module nor hacking it, just making a request like yourself and offering some ideas.

I feel this type of module would offer a great deal to the XOOPS community, there are so many magazine, newspaper and music sites that use subscriptions, plus other sites too, and this would benefit all.

Quote:
what is OSC

OSCommerce is a shop, found athttp://oscommerce.org/

There are currently two version being modulised at the moment, the one I prefer and has a demo athttp://www.myxoops.info/modules/shop/ and found at ttp://www.myxoopsforge.de/ <--- There is a new and more stable version coming out soon.

The other XoopsOSC makes core changes to XOOPS files which means it will be harder to upgrade XOOPS versions should you need too, whether it be to a better verion or just a security bug fix, but it can be found here:http://www.oldpa.com.tw A thread on this can be found here: xoops shop modules osCommerce

Although there is more work involve in my method of moving groups, it is the safer option for now until a subscription module is out.

OSC can take payments via many online gateways, inc.

Paypal
Nochex
WorldPay

and even cheque or postal order, plus many others.

Hope this helps.

shivaji
  • 2003/9/26 4:28

• shivaji

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi Tom: :)

Its nice to know that you are the person whom I am looking for. At last I hold you here.

I am going through your message in details. I have to run "bable fish", and you know why. I have already downloaded dutch version..and soon I finish my installation and I will be in touch with you again.

I have heard about OSC but is this the thing which actually solve my requirements. This I guess a pure shopping cart script based on Physical products. I am looking for a script based on "virtual products" like say for example...

There are two categories of members in my website. Registered and Premium. Premium members allowed to see "Special Articles", allow to "chat" whereas regular member get access to "normal articles" and without "chat" feature. As a Admin, I will be able to set feature for "normal" and "premium" members from XOOPS admin Panel. Set the price (USD, pound) for subsription..etc. Members of my site will be allow to choose between "normal" and "premium" at the time of Registration. So the Payment option will be at "Registration Page" for users.

Anyway, I will be in touch with you soon. Let see how OSC works...Till then bye and Thanks for your excellent reply.

REgards,
Shivaji.

dlh
  • 2003/10/3 19:08

• dlh

• Since: 2002/2/20

I wanted to second Shivaji's comments regarding the need for this module for commercial XOOPS users.

I guess it depends on the focus that the XOOPS developers want to take - either from a hobbyist (game site) platform or a commerical (business) platform.

If they want to move more toward business we have to have:

1) Integrated articles management.
2) Integrated shopping cart - OSC is a nice stopgap but not ideal
3) Subscription managment.
4) Expanded content management features (category management, authors, by-lines)

You guys get the idea. But I'd put subscription management at #1 or #2 definately!

Thanks for listening!

Dan

djsckizo
  • 2003/12/9 1:43

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

I second everything everyone said above me.

A subscription option module thing would be great. It would help keep me from having to do things outside of xoops.

thirdeye
  • 2006/2/23 4:26

• thirdeye

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/31

check out the subscription module i created...

http://products.thirdeyesoftware.com/modules/content/index.php?id=2

Login

Who's Online

167 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 167

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits