Anonymous
Re: "User Profile" Module Broken
  • 2013/3/18 20:39

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
This will not work...

I guess this was an unfortunate incident Xoops development works because we are a community without strict rules or policy's. Developers are free minds, you have to give them some room to develop and make mistakes on the run. Threatening with bans does not stimulate, let's discuss these kind of issues in a friendly way on xoops.org!

Mamba
  • 2013/3/18 21:58

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Threatening with bans does not stimulate, let's discuss these kind of issues in a friendly way on xoops.org!

Of course!

But we'll need to be clear about what's the process. For example, the Profile module by Wishcraft was basically a "hack", and people need to be aware that it is not officially supported, and that it is a hack.

Or Wishcraft can develop and release a "wishProfile" module, that won't conflict with other XOOPS modules.

We just need to be mindful, and based on this experience, I'll be paying more attention to SVN and to what is being committed
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoobaru
  • 2013/3/18 22:16

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

How about two SVNs. The yellow brick road SVN for working modules, and the beyond thunderdome SVN for the modules that are in known failure mode.

This status could be documented based on number of bad reports in the forum, that have exceeded a grace period for developers to remedy. This not happening they are relegated to beyond thunderdome with their known unaddressed issues documented in the comments.

Developers can still work on them, and reclassify once documented as fixed.

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/18 23:04

• Anonymous

• Since:

In the end we can't rely on 'digital' judgement by bad reports in a forum xoobaru. Complaints can be based on a malfunctioning module, but in many cases a user does not know how to handle or server specs are wrong. I agree with Mamba, we all have the responsibility to test the changes made to modules in svn, and let us not hesitate to bring a sloppy developer making mistakes back to earth.

Mistake in this case is Wiscraft used the original Profile module as a base for developing, but without making clear enough it is a fork.

biomech
  • 2013/3/18 23:29

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/2/25

Thanks for the clarification guys...

So, about upgrading the module... will it break if I upgrade it? :)

(Just for clarification, I'm currently using:
User Profile 1.63 RC (2011/10/8)
by Jan Pedersen, Taiwen Jiang, alfred, Wishcraft)

- b -

Mamba
  • 2013/3/18 23:37

• Mamba

Just use the one that came with the XOOPS installation.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

biomech
  • 2013/3/18 23:46

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Ok, that's what I'm doing.

I misunderstood what flipse posted before about upgrading to version 2.0. I thought he was telling me that I should upgrade - didn't realize he was talking about upping the version number in the next release.

Cheers,

- b -

biomech
  • 2013/7/30 23:18

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

This broke again when I upgraded to XOOPS 2.5.6:

=========
User Profile 1.85 Final (2012/7/30)
by Jan Pedersen, Taiwen Jiang, alfred, Wishcraft
Updated:2013/7/31 9:12
=========

Logged in as admin, I can view my own profile, and the profiles of other admins, but when I try to view a non-admin user's profile, I get "Sorry, you don't have the permission to access this area." and get bounced back to my own profile.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

- b -

Mamba
  • 2013/7/30 23:23

• Mamba

try to run Repair on the whole database. I believe, somebody said that sometimes it is happening if there are issues with the "sessions" table.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

biomech
  • 2013/7/31 1:09

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks Mamba,

I went into Maintenance, cleaned all cache folders, emptied the sessions table, selected all tables and did a repair, logged out and back in again, and was still not able to access user profiles. I then went and performed Optimize, Check, Repair, and Analyze on the sessions table, logged out and back in, and was still not able to access user profiles.

Maybe I need to try re-installing the module?

- b -

PS: In the meantime, I ran a checksum on the files, found some differences, re-uploaded those files, confirmed ok via checksum. Then I uninstalled, re-uploaded, and re-installed the User Profile module, cleaned cache, emptied sessions table, repaired all DB tables, logged out/in, and .... still have the same problem. :)

Login

Who's Online

254 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 254

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits