psaxtiri
How to install captcha at XOOPS 2.0.18.2 version ?
  • 2013/5/8 8:32

• psaxtiri

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/6/17

We have a site athttp://www.iek-01.com .
Recently we face a spam problem at the registration of new users process.
As I remember we had captcha installed but now I see there is no captcha there!
Anyway because we are on the transition to our upgrade portal I would like to face the problem till the new site is in air.

Can you show me a way to install captcha at the registration form (http://www.iek-01.com/register.php ) please ?

Mamba
Re: How to install captcha at XOOPS 2.0.18.2 version ?
  • 2013/5/8 8:57

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You mean, you still didn't upgrade it from the last time in 2011????

To be honest, I am not even sure if we had Captcha for registration in 2.0.18.2

It would be much better to update to 2.5.6, especially because of security improvements, if it is an option for you...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

redheadedrod

You probably should make a better effort to upgrade and in the mean time lock registrations from your system so you don't get these spammers.

psaxtiri
  • 2013/5/8 11:25

• psaxtiri

• Not too shy to talk

Hello Mamba . You remember right :)

I didn't upgrade cause wee were talking about update the total site and may use new modules etc.

So the case was frozzen and i never had same problem with spam .

It is a month now i face it :(

psaxtiri
  • 2013/5/8 11:27

• psaxtiri

• Not too shy to talk

Your thoought is correct but till the new site is up i will lose with the spammers and the good users who trying to register.

Can i lock IP's of bad users or e-mails of them something ?

redheadedrod

You should be able to block specific IP addresses through your hosting service so they never even see the xoops site. However most spammers are likely using IP addresses that are spoofed or not really the IP addresses they are at. If this is the case they can change that IP address easily.

You can try doing a search through the forums for things people have done with newer versions of xoops and see what will work with your version of xoops.

But realistically, you may find the effort it takes for you to prevent spammers from joining is more than it will take to upgrade your system to 2.5.6 with compatible modules.

psaxtiri
  • 2013/5/8 21:05

• psaxtiri

• Not too shy to talk

You are absolutely right at every word you wrote.

I was asking , trying to find a temp solution cause the new site that will come is under construction from a webcompany so i don't want to bother them with an extra problem.

If the prob get bigger i will think again what to do :(

redheadedrod

Another option you have depending on the number of spammers that register is to not allow automatic registration and to only let the admin approve people. I believe that should be available with the 2.0.x branch.

You could get in touch with the people doing your upgrade and see where they are at. If the main content that is essential to your site is working you may want to convert your site over now and then add the rest at a later time either as they are finished or all together.

There is no reason you need to wait until the new site is 100% finished unless you are still missing major portions that you need.

psaxtiri
  • 2013/5/10 11:13

• psaxtiri

• Not too shy to talk

Good morning from Greece :)

Yeah i already do that . I mean i have to approve the registration. I just have to delete all of them when they arrive to my email.

I am afraid not to overflow my email and real users dont have the ability to register cause a month now i have no real user registration applys and i think it depends to this matter .

I will think about telling them your suggestion :)

timgno
  • 2013/5/10 13:29

• timgno

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/21

I wonder how does it run on remote servers version 2.0.18.2, when all hosts have already upgraded, to a minimum of php 5.2

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits