skenow
Re: Best Wiki Module
  • 2011/3/1 0:32

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Currently working on adding 'children of this page' and 'siblings of this page' functionality - just tweaking for performance

Quote:

bhndbrwneyes wrote:
is there a wiki mod that allows categories? I am currently using simplywiki and I created a page, then I created several pages under it. I want the parent page to act as a "category" and display links to all the pages that are under it, sorted by alphabetical order

bhndbrwneyes

ok great thanks. Do you have any idea of a time frame?

Also, I don't think it is present in the current version but the "Add Page" function is sort of weird. You have to go to the Edit Page URL but with the extension of the name of the page you would like to add. So I created a link where the page title would be "TITLE" and hopefully all my users understand to change out the title with what they want to call the page.

Also, in the text box where it's like, what is the parent page to this page, the user has to type in the page name exactly that they want it to fall under. Some people might not even fill this out not understanding what it is. This is where the category functionality needs to come in. You should be able to make categories in the admin area and then have a drop down select to choose what category the new page will fall under.

skenow
  • 2011/3/2 2:04

• skenow

• Home away from home

One thing I'd like to add is an autocomplete for the parent page, rather than adding in categorization. For one thing, I think tagging has much more power and flexibility than a category hierarchy, especially for a wiki.

There have been many discussions about whether to use categories or tags, not just for this module, but for documentation, in general. Based on how people really use the web, categorization is a lot of work for little return. It's too monolithic. To convert the parent page into a category would severely limit the usability, in my opinion - a page could only be in 1 category. Once you alter that to allow multiple categories, you might as well move to tagging, instead.

Quote:

Also, I don't think it is present in the current version but the "Add Page" function is sort of weird. You have to go to the Edit Page URL but with the extension of the name of the page you would like to add. So I created a link where the page title would be "TITLE" and hopefully all my users understand to change out the title with what they want to call the page.

hmm, I think that would work for the first page, but after that, you'd be taken to edit the first page created, not create a new page. Remember, the page title is not the same as the page name, which must be unique.

If you create a link in a page to a page that doesn't exist, when you follow the link, you will be taken to the create/edit page URL and the original page will be added as the parent (automatically). I might find a way to mimic that behavior in the Add Page form/block.

Quote:
Do you have any idea of a time frame?

It's already been committed to SVN - you can check out the latest trunk and use it. I know several are using it on live sites (including me). Officially, it's still on alpha stage because there are a few more features I'd like to add before releasing it.

Anonymous
  • 2011/3/2 9:02

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
skenow wrote:
It's already been committed to SVN - you can check out the latest trunk and use it.

Great news

You know that I really like Simplywiki and your changes will make it even better. Off to SVN now

Very many thanks for your work

bhndbrwneyes

I'm very new to Xoops, what's SVN and is there a way I can see and use the latest version like you said others are doing?

skenow
  • 2011/3/2 23:53

• skenow

• Home away from home

Quote:

bhndbrwneyes wrote:
I'm very new to Xoops, what's SVN and is there a way I can see and use the latest version like you said others are doing?

SVN = Subversion, a source control platform. SimplyWiki is on SourceForge.net, under a different CMS project (treated like Lord Voldemort here - the name isn't spoken).

As for current examples, if you go back in this thread, to the post just before yours, you'll see links to several sites in a post by me. For a demo you can play with - nothing live at the moment (but things are in the works )

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (176 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits