par14h
Migration Question: Move my Xoops to another Domain?
  • 2010/5/20 1:38

• par14h

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/2/24

I am finally ready ( I think) to deploy my first XOOPS site, and to do that I need to transfer my install from a domain I was using as a private dev/test server to it's real world home.

Both domains are on HostMoster and are under the same account, so Ideally it would be a matter of copying the files from the source directory to the Destination directory, but I am pessimistic enough to assume that is not the case.

THe site to be moved is XOOPS 2.4.4 and I have a fresh XOOPS 2.4.4 installation on the destination, (both provided by simplescripts) and I backed up my original site to my local hard drive for safety sake.

I have read over the XU-002 Installation Guide and the XU-003 Operations Guide but did not find anything particularly helpful there.

Is there a document out there that covers moving a XOOPS website from one domain to another? Am I the first to have such an issue, or did I miss the document that describes the procedure?

Thank you for helping.
NeuralJack

ghia
Re: Migration Question: Move my Xoops to another Domain?
  • 2010/5/20 1:56

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

You have to backup of your files and database from the old server.

Delete all files in the cache directories (except index.html)
Delete all records of the session table
Check all files (theme!) and database records for the use of the old domain and replace it with the new one (eg in links etc.).

Then you have to restore files and database to the new server.
Set all write permissions as explained in the release notes for a new install.
Then edit the mainfile.php and correct the definitions for the physical paths to the new situation.
Adapt also the database credentials if needed.

It should run.
Update in admin the system and profile modules.

mboyden
  • 2010/5/20 14:27

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

See these links:

Moving XOOPS
XOOPS Upgrade Notes

These two documents should get you through most anything related to moving and upgrading a site.

Good luck!
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

par14h
  • 2010/5/20 15:06

• par14h

• Just popping in

Terrific! Thanks you for the help, ghia and mboyden! I'll post again to let you know how it all works out!

par14h

par14h
  • 2010/5/26 23:04

• par14h

• Just popping in

Well, Unfortunately my attempts to migrate failed. I chuck this up to the fact that I really have no experience in this and I have simply bitten off more than I can chew.

On the bright side, the site was solely populated with sample content, so nothing with any substance was lost.

To summarize what happened, I followed the instruction as best as I could, everything made sense once i got into the files and database ( and related Help files) but I apparently muckered up something because Xoops at the new location was entirely blank, The admin credentials didn't have priviledges to use the Login block or my first six attempts to log in. Once my IP was no longer banned, the site reported not having a database. At that point I just trashed the whole build and started over. I deleted the databases, deleted the database users, and purged the domain Root so I could start all over.

I created the database users, then the new database. I downloaded a fresh xoops 2.4.4 zip file and decompressed it in my local machine. THen I ftp'd it to my webserver as per XU-002. (Installation guide) I ran the install wizard and then uploaded my modules and themes. What do I have? A Xoops site that won't display any graphics. I wiped the domain and reinstalled a few more times but I'm getting the same thing. I"ll post in a more appropriate place and include a screenshot. Thanks for the advice nonetheless!

par14h

ghia
  • 2010/5/27 1:05

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

XU-002? Was that not an old manual?
See the release notes for a link to a more recent guide.

par14h
  • 2010/5/27 19:08

• par14h

• Just popping in

I read the release notes that came with the Xoops 2.4.4 download. Couldn't find any reference to a new manual. I"ll look around the Xoops.org site and see if I can find find the current edition. Even though XU-oo2 references an older version, I thought the process was still current.

I'll also look at the Sourceforge doc repository.

Thank you, ghia.

*ADDITION:

Just looked around, Sourceforge Docs list XU-002 as current, and yesterday in this thread Mamba referred someone to this same document. What document do you have, and may I have a copy?

Also, if XU-002 is the current, can it be added to the docs directory as part of the core download along with the other current manuals?

Mamba
  • 2010/5/27 20:11

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

In the 2.4.4 Release Notes there is a link to the Installation Guide
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

mboyden
  • 2010/5/27 21:27

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

I'll note that the link Mambo provided saves as XU-002 but the document itself says XL-001. We're an anarchic organization of a community team and sometimes things aren't always clear. Apologies; thanks for pointing it out. Do let us know if this latest one that Mambo pointed you to wasn't the XU-002 document you were using. If it wasn't, try it and then report back. Thanks!
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

par14h
  • 2010/5/27 23:33

• par14h

• Just popping in

Yup! After following the links Mambo gave, the document is XL-001 written for Xoops 2.4.0. I didn't see it in my release notes because my search for "Release Notes", "Release 2.4.4" didn't produce anything, so I thought the release notes I needed to read were the notes included in the root of the Xoops 2.4.4 download.

I'll read through it and let you know how it runs.

par14h

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits