Mamba
Re: What a ranker!
  • 2010/5/25 18:24

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I will like to sincerely apologize to anyone that may have felt that I am attacking them, or who may have found my questions or long posts annoying, but I am trying to help by trying to bring about clarity by asking questions in a respectful manner because that is what my area of work is. I am not a developer, nor a theme designer, and I am here because I use xoops for my website and I love it.

Trying to help in whatever little way I can

No offense taken, since your question were, as you said, stated in a respectful manner. All of us here on this forums will not always agree on everything, but as long as we're respectful of each other, we'll be able to move forward and continue to work together.

But I would like to challenge you and every other "user" here - please get involved! Move from "user" to "contributor". As I always say - each of us can do it in so many different ways: coding, designing, writing documentation, donating money, or just hiring somebody to do something for XOOPS. If somebody doesn't have the time to do it himself, please hire a writer to document a module for us. Or pay a developer to write a missing feature. Or hire a translator to do a release in a local language.

So many different ways, so many different opportunities!!!

Please get involved & contribute - don't stand just on the sidelines! We need your active help and we need your active involvement! From each and every one of you!!!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

joel
Re: What a clunker!
  • 2010/5/25 18:27

• joel

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/5/13

I heard rumours that 3.0 is the "Duke Nukem Forever" in the world of open source cms.

Perhaps DJ's vision of 3.0 are not my visions. The chance of having something included I like, would be way higher if more people were working on this branch.

I know that this is unpopular:
a) make a clear cut and drop support for ALL old functions. If the code basis is good and WELL documented the sooner re-worked modules appear. We had quite the same at the time switching from 1.x to 2.x, but also there the core coders were thinking too much backwards.

b) let the community decide, which functions are needed - not decided by a single man

c) ... left for editing later on.

sugar
  • 2010/5/25 19:20

• sugar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/24

Quote:

nmshah wrote:

A request catzwolf do not leave now. May be we will see the change soon.

I think 3.0 will very perfect and thanks DJ do the greate work
but we still need listen more voice and request more developers like Catz to make XOOPS better, right?

Peekay
  • 2010/5/25 22:49

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
wishcraft wrote:

What about X-Movie 3, mamba if your so nice why has the guy installed 4 virus and php trigger code in it, that i had to remove..

Sorry to back-track a little, but this module appears to be in the module repository. Does it contain a virus?
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

nmshah
  • 2010/5/26 5:35

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

Quote:
I hope 3.0 will very perfect and thanks DJ do the greate work
but we still need listen more voice and request more developers like Catz to make XOOPS better, right?

1+

Mamba
  • 2010/5/26 6:42

• Mamba

@ Peekay:

Quote:
Sorry to back-track a little, but this module appears to be in the module repository. Does it contain a virus?

See this thread
Support XOOPS => DONATE

redheadedrod

I work 2 jobs and am a single parent and I REALLY want to get involved with Xoops as a developer so I can definitely appreciate when someone has some things going on in their lives. Personally I am slowly ramping up trying to develop for xoops but I am trying to get things together to do so..

My view is that I am not going to worry about when Xoops 3 comes out. I am going to do what I can to extend the useful experience of 2.4.5 , 2.5 or whatever comes out between now and then. It would be nice to have the newer version to be able to test out things but I expect there to be things that just won't convert over just as we have had differences between 2.0.18, 2.3.3, 2.4.4 etc..

And many of the items I have in mind to extend Xoops could very well make it the best social network CMS available but I can't personally worry about if/when the next version comes out of xoops. I will make due with what is available and go from there. If I am correct in what I am working on many of the things I create could become a part of core but it has been many years since I used to hack into mainframes and reverse engineer software. It is a very tall task and takes alot of knowledge and experience to write good secure code in PHP for something like Xoops. I do look forward to the day I am writing code in PHP in the same manner I used to write basic and machine language code but my personal view is as long as there is some progress being made I wouldn't get on DJ or anyone else about future developments.

We really just need to work with what we have and not worry about what the future holds. And hope in the process that DJ can make some serious progress and bring some new ideas to the table. And if it all does happen like that and we end up with a 3.0 then great, we will spend the next 6 months upgrading modules and such to make them work with 3.0...

phppp
  • 2010/6/15 9:12

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

redheadedrod wrote:
We really just need to work with what we have and not worry about what the future holds. And hope in the process that DJ can make some serious progress and bring some new ideas to the table. And if it all does happen like that and we end up with a 3.0 then great, we will spend the next 6 months upgrading modules and such to make them work with 3.0...

Dear redheadedrod and others,

You are really appreciated for your understanding and support.
In the past 13 months I have concentrated on X3 and left XOOPS 2.* branch to other developers. Then we saw a big boost of code contribution to XOOPS 2.0 core from developers like catzwolf, wishcraft, trabis on 2.4* and Muss with his team on 2.5*.
However, due to lack of communication or different understanding of XOOPS engine, the XOOPS trunk and 2.* branch got out of control of quality and compatibility.
Fortunately we have some great developers who have made wise decisions on quality control to prevent our 2.* froom going away too far. Just like the below post I sent to Core Dev list on June 5th when I started to clean up XOOPS 2.* branch:

Quote:

Thank you trabis!
I did not realize you saved XOOPS once by the revision:

Quote:

Revision #### - (view) (download) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
Modified Fri Jun 12 00:40:14 2009 UTC (11 months, 3 weeks ago) by trabis
Original Path: XoopsCore/trunk/htdocs/modules/system/admin/groups/main.php
File length: 11976 byte(s)
Diff to previous ####

Removing ####, ####, etc
(we need to this other way, really!)

I felt really desperate when I looked at revision ##### and was about to give up cleaning XOOPS svn.
But, thanks god I saw your great decision on revision #####.

Thanks!
I will continue.

We need X3 come out as soon as possible. However we can not leave X2 branch broken. Thus I have to stop X3 dev and move back on 2.* branch cleaning up, since about four weeks ago.

Our plan was to have XOOPS 2.4.5 final released in first week of June and an internal preview of X3 by end of this month.
However due to some license conflicts caused by code introduced in 2.4 and potential compatibility issues, we have to spend more efforts than expected.
Currently I am going through every single commit in XOOPS SVN from revision #2902 to #4769 to rebuild XOOPS trunk.

I hope with help from trabis and other developers we can clean up 2.* branch and rebuild trunk soon. Then we can resume 2.5 on a solid code base.
Meanwhile I still continue developing X3, but not that concentrated unless 2.45 final is released and svn trunk is rebuilt.

Before X3 is ready for public development/design, I wish developers can focus on module development and theme design, or proof-of-concept development.

wishcraft

Well I don't know newbb isn't working like usual with pagination an long threads, seems to be stuck at five. I am officially mark as all the all time ranker.

We need more women in xoops I think i am sick of the hard edge male contigencies here they need some more softening up.. I recon mariane should do womens libration movement for XOOPS

i am sick of the man fights about little snotty nosed individuals who are prudes and try to behave as a control mechanism.

Even my wife offered to come on as a Female moderator to support he XOOPS as a family effort but michael wrote back even when she said like he she is not technically literate like me.. She should list herself in development for hire.

I don't think the guy really even read the email.. I was offended at the brush off.. Like they say one american like all americans.

Anyway I am the biggest ranker of all seeming I suggested all the stuff that has made xoops popular including this new look.
Resized Image
www.ohloh.net/accounts/226400

Follow, Like & Read:-

twitter.com/RegaltyFamily
github.com/Chronolabs-Cooperative
facebook.com/DrAntonyRoberts

Mamba
  • 2010/6/23 5:22

• Mamba

@ Simon:
Quote:
i am sick of the man fights about little snotty nosed individuals who are prudes and try to behave as a control mechanism.

Even my wife offered to come on as a Female moderator to support he XOOPS as a family effort but michael wrote back even when she said like he she is not technically literate like me.. She should list herself in development for hire.

I don't think the guy really even read the email.. I was offended at the brush off.. Like they say one american like all americans.

Simon, on June 16th, you sent me an email with the subject "Hi my friend" where among other things you said:

Quote:
There is heaps of opertunity to growin both myself and the community. My appologies about how i acted toward you it was immature - You know XOOPS is the first crowd I have tried to be compatible with.

My response to you was:
Quote:
I do appreciate your effort to reconcile with XOOPS and put all of the negativity behind us.

But it's important to see that you really mean it.

It's not good if you bash us in public, and then apologize in private.

So it would be nice if you would say something similar to what you just said in this email in the "Ranker" thread, so we can close it and move on, and focus on making XOOPS the best CMS!!!

Is it fair enough?.

Simon, to be honest, your message above in this thread, is not the one I was hoping for, which then questions in turn if you really meant what you said in your email to me

Also, please refrain from making negative generalizations about any nationality, as it is against our rules.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits