Reintjan
Undelivered mail problems with Hotmail
  • 2010/5/18 10:00

• Reintjan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/3/17

When using mail through Xoops Hotmail is refusing all mail due to spam control. After contact it seems that mailheaders are the reason.

When i send mail through Xoops mailheaders are created like this:

Quote:
Subject: Testmail
Message-ID: <c7bff930352f7c5b3bebfcca4f9a1866@www.mysite.nl>
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: PHPMailer (phpmailer.sourceforge.net) [version 2.0.0 rc3]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

As you can see the From and Message-ID contain strange caracters in it...

Urgent help is required to solve this!

Thanks in advance

p.s. It does not make any difference which mailing method I choose, headers are the same when using sendmail, PHP mail or SMTP
Be smart, stay smart. Stay one step ahead...

mboyden
Re: Undelivered mail problems with Hotmail
  • 2010/5/18 14:52

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

Please provide the entire email bounce response (redacting appropriate information).

First, I'm going to assume that the admin@mysite.nl actually exists and that I could send an email to that address. If not, you'll want to fix that. Can YOU send a message from the admin@mysite.nl address to your hotmail address that actually works? Do you send from the same server? What is different between the headers?

Your Message-ID looks just fine.

It looks like the From name could be your problem but without the error code and bounce message from Hotmail, it could be difficult to know for sure.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

Reintjan
  • 2010/5/18 15:10

• Reintjan

• Not too shy to talk

I changed the header a bit so my actual mailaddress would not show up.... for spam reasons.... The real mailaddress actually excists.

There's no problem sending an email to a Hotmail address from this mailaddress. There's only a problem when sending the mail through Xoops....

This is the delivery error reported back from Hotmail:

Quote:
Reporting-MTA: dns; vhosting-relay.mail.pcextreme.nl
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: D1D26415B6
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; admin@mysite.nl
Arrival-Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:27:40 +0200 (CEST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; address@hotmail.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;address@hotmail.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx4.hotmail.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 SC-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for
policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with
spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems. If you are not
an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider
for help. Email/network admins, please visithttp://postmaster.live.com for
email delivery information and support

Note: in this error report I also altered the mailaddresses for X-Postfix-Sender, Final-Recipient and Original-Recipient. The original addresses used all excist...

ghia
  • 2010/5/18 18:12

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
There's no problem sending an email to a Hotmail address from this mailaddress
You tested that by sending via webmail (eg Horde) from that mailbox?

What is different in the headers, when you send it the XOOPS or webmail way?

mboyden
  • 2010/5/18 18:47

• mboyden

when you send the email the "normal" way and when you send it from XOOPS, do they come from the same mail server? Do you use SPF? What about DomainKeys? As Ghia asked, what is different about the two messages? Since we don't know the domains or the IP address, it's hard to see if those are setup correctly and/on on RBLs. If your www and mail servers are the same, then it really shouldn't be an issue, but if they aren't then it's possible that one or the other is on an RBL or your SPF/DKIM setup specifies one and not the other.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

Reintjan
  • 2010/5/20 20:53

• Reintjan

• Not too shy to talk

I found out after resetting sender settings in Hotmail emails from the same address that I use sending through Xoops all mails where blocked, sent through Xoops or my regular mail application made no difference...

De resolutions in this case was setting up and add a spf record to the DNS records at my hostingcompany. I still don't know what this does actually but it solved my problem.

Maybe it is to someone's use......

More info:http://openspf.org

mboyden
  • 2010/5/20 21:18

• mboyden

Glad you got it solved.

SPF (sender policy framework) is a fairly decent fix to a problem related to spam. Without SPF, it is very easy to spoof a message. I can send a message "from" any email address pretty easily. What SPF does is give mail servers a method to check whether or not the originating server that sent the message is one that is actually allowed to do so. It's a verification of whether or not the message actually was sent by the sender or not based on the server used to send it. The information is stored in the DNS for the domain which is ostensibly administered by the domain owner thus giving control to the domain owner.

There are still some related issues, but it's a huge step over not having SPF at all. Another one in fairly common use by Google and Yahoo among others is DKIM which signs messages using a private public key combination.

canada87
  • 2011/6/8 15:40

• canada87

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/6/7 1

I had a similar problem but just don't use hotmail. There are so many free email providers and hotmail's spam filters have to be the absolute worst of all of them. Try using gmail and it won't end up in the spam box.

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits