Sir_Saeed
Some users registered with a same username!
  • 2009/11/18 8:15

• Sir_Saeed

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/10/10

I think that should be a hack! There are three users in my site with a same username!
I checked the Protector and saw that the ip is bad-listed, but I'm not sure if it's enough, or I have to do some extra works to avoid it in future.

May somebody help me, please?

vamptrix
Re: Some users registered with a same username!
  • 2009/11/18 8:49

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

If these are badlisted, you should delete the users in your database.

(maybe deleting them in your administration could do the trick too, but with this you're completly sure).

Do you have access to the database (using PhpMyAdmin)?
And do you have experience with working in databases using PhpMyAdmin?

ghia
  • 2009/11/18 9:30

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Best is to rename these users in phpMyAdmin.
Can you find in you Apache logs the registrations and the links followed to do it?
The registration date in the users profile should lead you to them. Are these dates different?

vamptrix
  • 2009/11/18 9:58

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

You're right ghia, it can also be because of pushing too much on the submit button..

deka87
  • 2009/11/18 10:15

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/10/5

Quote:
You're right ghia, it can also be because of pushing too much on the submit button..

that's true. i had like 5 users with the same username. 1 was actiave and the rest are inactive with the same registration data. the weird thing is the the year fo registration of inactive users was 1970 o_O. had this bug twice as far as I know and in both cases it was 1970. what happened then?

Sir_Saeed
  • 2009/11/18 10:25

• Sir_Saeed

• Just popping in

Thank you pals. The story is someone registered into site and started activating, after a while, he had a fight with another member and threatened him to send bad message by his id. This guy told me about it and I answered it's impossible. Today he sent me a private message and said that there are two other users with his exact information, including username.

So my conclusion is that it's not an accident, and therefore there is some hole somewhere.

And I know who has created this new users, all ip-s are same either. I deleted the new ones, and Protector has banned the ip already, and I do have some experiences with phpMyAdmin, but anyone has any idea what's happened? and what's the source of this problem?

I wanna make sure no one can do similar thing anymore.

vamptrix
  • 2009/11/18 10:47

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

Do you got the emailadress? Do you know which adress it ends to?

If I have such things, I who.is the owner, search the abuse mail and mail the administrative contact of the domain to put pressure on the owner of the email. A bit "heavy", but it works.

If it's Hotmail or Gmail, I'm sure you'll find some page somewhere.

If they continue to treathen you, ask your host for the apache logs. Check the IP's and actions, and mail it to the abuse of the domain (generally abuse@domain.ltd). Most of the times, the host will then undertake action. If not, just mail the owner of the domain. If you take a serious layout and very formal language, they'll shut up in no time.

Sir_Saeed
  • 2009/11/18 10:58

• Sir_Saeed

• Just popping in

Well emails are from yahoo and as any user creation needs an email address to activate, I guess this work spend a lot of time for ppl to do than some seconds for me to undone.

So, the real point I'm after is the root of this problem. What if a robot can do this job? What if there's a way someone can do this with a same email? Then it will be too late to use pressure or sth.

vamptrix
  • 2009/11/18 11:08

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

Well, in that case, blacklist yahoo.com, but warn your users on your registration page and/or homepage. If it's a robot, it'll stop, if it isn't, it could continue.

Also, add a CAPTHA to your registration (preferably something better than the standard XOOPS one, like reCAPTCHA, but I haven't figured out yet how to do that). That can stop robots too.

Login

Who's Online

176 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 176

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits