BigJim
can i utilise google in my website
  • 2009/2/26 2:50

• BigJim

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/7/16

Hi guys, I'd really appreciate some advice on this regarding using google on my site.

1. Can I use Google's 'I'm feeling lucky' feature to build links on my site. For example if I have a huge list of businesses I could use I'm feeling lucky and insert the business name to produce a link which takes visitors directly to a related website (most often probably that business's website).

2. And could I use frames to have those websites open in my site. I wouldn't try and hide anything, it would be clear that I am displaying another website and I would give users the option to remove the frame and go direct to that webpage (so just like images are displayed in image searches in engines like Google and Yahoo).

I've tried searching to see if this is breaking any rules or Google's TOS but can't see any clear answer so if anyone could advise I'd be really grateful.

thanks

ghia
Re: can i utilise google in my website
  • 2009/2/26 9:42

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
And could I use frames to have those websites open in my site.
No, if they are not your own or you didn't have written consent.Quote:
I wouldn't try and hide anything, it would be clear that I am displaying another website
Oh, huge difference: willingly and knowingly.

BigJim
  • 2009/2/26 10:45

• BigJim

• Just popping in

thanks Ghia, ok I won't do it if its not ok but how come google and yahoo can do it for their image searches (do you know the bit I mean, if you search for images and click on the image the original website page is shown within a frame)?

thanks again, I don't want to waste my time setting the site up like this if I'm going to find out its against the rules or etiquette.

ghia
  • 2009/2/26 11:03

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Google is a special case, but you can instruct them by robots.txt and meta tags to not cache your site or having your images.

deka87
  • 2009/2/26 12:05

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/10/5

but there is a module that can display some outter content. you've gotta search for it in modules repository
Mind anchors

BigJim
  • 2009/3/2 10:45

• BigJim

• Just popping in

yeh, that's a good point Ghia, thanks

Login

Who's Online

196 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 196

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits