Anonymous
Re: XOOPSdemos launched - - enjoy !!!!!!!!!!
  • 2008/12/5 16:44

• Anonymous

• Since:

Nice site lapsa! About the criticisms on sharing files on your site I agree. For some modules it is allready a crime to find out where to find the latest version resides. Sometimes it can be found on xoops.org, in other cases it is on the developers website, or on a local XOOPS support site. A site like yours sharing also makes it only more confusing.

You would give us all a great service by linking to the site where the latest version normaly is.

skenow
  • 2008/12/11 1:06

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

You know, I and other developers spend no small amount of time working on modules and themes, asking little in return. Yet, you see fit to provide downloads of our work directly from your site. Please let all your visitors know, that unless they have downloaded the module from a link I have not provided, support will only be available from the source of the download (that is - NOT me).

In addition, your download page states the modules are under your copyright, this also is not true.

You expect me and other developers to visit all the sites that feel like offering our work for download to keep you up-to-date. Well, that ain't happening. Because of the current environment, I already need to monitor 3 forums for support of SimplyWiki. Adding even 1 more is not productive.

ghia
  • 2008/12/11 2:30

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

I think none of the release dates are correct. They may give the downloading user a false image of a recent module, what for many modules is not the case.

It is nice to have a one stop for downloading the modules. But it should be here at XOOPS.org with the module repository. Links for downloading to developer sites are OK, but a local copy should be available at hand, in case the developer site vanishes.

Altough there is nothing against redistribution and the GPL even encourage it, it seems to me that many of the active developers are very sensitive to this issue and in general don't like it. It is also a very emotional issue, because I saw a lot of false arguments (and even threats) passing in this thread.

lapsa2000
  • 2008/12/12 4:04

• lapsa2000

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/10/27

Obviously I can not make everyone happy, what else can I say, in the downloads section is the direct link to Web Developer, users are free to choose where they want to download the module, also want to mention that no module has been modified, are with their corresponding credits for developers.

The time will be a witness, if I can keep the site updated .... would be a good alternative for the community.

XOOPSdemos
Persevera...y seguiras
Perseverando !!!

QertysXasder

Thanks a lot!

Jinju
  • 2008/12/18 20:14

• Jinju

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/4/19

Well in my opinion as a demo site, xoopsdemos in an invaluable resource. You have no idea how long I've been looking for something like this. Many times you don't always want to go through the headache of downloading and installing a module just to see if it does what you need. With this site now you won't have to ^_^. Just a few things, respect the developers wishes. Generally follow the lead of this other demo sitehttp://www.opensourcecms.com/ (i.e. host demos and send users to original site for download. only mirror if module is unavailable) and you should be fine. and try to get as many of the modules as you can and keep them updated. These is a good idea and i hope it remains successful.

lapsa2000
  • 2008/12/20 5:44

• lapsa2000

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/10/27

Thank you for your comments ... I try to keep the site updated! ...

Developers are invited and may publish their modules and their respective download links to your site.

XOOPSdemos
Persevera...y seguiras
Perseverando !!!

Runeher
  • 2008/12/21 13:35

• Runeher

• Module Developer

• Since: 2008/1/24

I think this is a very good service, and i'm sure it have been missed!

Having said that, you might want to link each download to the download page for the module on the developers website. That way, this site will please all developers as it will drive traffic, users will get right instructions in case of updates etc, and you will also free some of your own bandwidth.

Hopefully more modules will be added!

Runeher
  • 2008/12/22 10:15

• Runeher

• Module Developer

• Since: 2008/1/24

BTW!
If you don't grant the developers wishes, I'm sure similar sites will pop up, which does what developers want and your site drift away into nowhere as it will not get linked to if there are better options, etc. Just face it... You have made the easiest XOOPS site possible and it would take a good webdesigner about 3 hours to make a similar site.... (ftp all the modules)

So if you want your site to be the one, you better listen to the people providing your content...

As Trabis said: "Feel free to ignore"... (but it would be a mistake...)

Rune

Login

Who's Online

236 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 236

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits