robin_hood
Upgrading.. worth it?
  • 2008/12/6 16:39

• robin_hood

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/12/6

Hello I would love to read your opinions. I am running on this version XOOPS 2.0.18.1

I have too many modules installed and working fine. Is it worth that I upgrade?

If I upgrade, do I have to upgrade the modules too? Won't this cause problems?

Please share your opinions.

DarinAllan
Re: Upgrading.. worth it?

In my opinion it is much wiser to upgrade when a new release comes out, any problems and issues are fresh in the support forums, although I generally at least wait a week to upgrade after a release, I would prefer the clever Xoopsers try the upgrade before me, having said that I do have a site I use to test the upgrades first, though I am not really clever enough to give detailed information about any problems.

Don't forget most updates to the core and modules usually include a security fix or two, so to me it's well worth keeping current. XOOPS is moving ahead, don't get left behind.

Anyway just my 2 cents ;o)

trabis
  • 2008/12/6 21:46

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

I think that you should not upgrade unless you have a need for the new features or modules that only work with the latest version. If your site is working fine as it is and as you want, then let it be.

But if you were to start a new site then I would recommend last core version.

DarinAllan

oh well, listen to trabis, he is definitely one of the clever ones, I think I should bow out of trying to answer questions lol ;o)

trabis
  • 2008/12/6 22:03

• trabis

• Core Developer

Come on Darin, this is just my opinion, I don´t know better than you. I´m sure Mamba has a different opinion to! I feel that XOOPS 2.0.18 is more stable then XOOPS 2.3.x. It has been here for a long, loooong time. And devs promised to keep fixing security bugs in case they happen. XOOPS 2.3 is great but it needs a little more time to gain my fully trust.

DarinAllan

It wasn't said with any malice trabis, I have had a bad week, my eyesight seems to be getting worse, I don't really know if I am reading things correctly, I also have some cognitive problems, that don't seem to be getting any better, I really don't think I can be much help anymore, I really don't want to lead people astray and stuff up all their hard work on their XOOPS sites, I have nothing but respect for all you guys.

Anyway I don't want to bring people down, I am still healthy in other respects.

Cheers ;o)

trabis
  • 2008/12/6 22:31

• trabis

• Core Developer

I did not notice malice in your answer and that is why I replied back. Just wanted to state that your opinion is as valid as mine or anybody else.

robin_hood
  • 2008/12/7 4:37

• robin_hood

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/12/6

Thank you both of you. Yes, i agree it is not a good thing to be left behind especially that some new good modules work only on the latest versions.

So, Darin, can you please tell me how to Upgrade from version 2.0.18.1 to v 2.3.2a?

Don't worry about stuffing up my hard work, because it is still fresh, and under construction.

ghia
  • 2008/12/7 11:48

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

For upgrading follow the installation instructions in the package meticulously.
(You can also wait for a more stable version as 2.3 or 2.4.)

Anonymous
  • 2008/12/7 12:10

• Anonymous

• Since:

Perhaps if you your list of modules was posted then the community could tell you of any that definitely don't work?

My own experience of upgrading has been positive; I haven't found any of the modules that I use not to work properly on 2.3.2a. Having said that, I've been most diligent in updating the modules to the latest versions when they were released.

The only thing I had was the well-documented issue with CBB 3.08; it is also well-documented that the 2.3.2a update solved this

Having said that, and like DarinAllan, I always test on both a local test-site (on xampp) and on server-based test-site first. xampp highly recommended

Login

Who's Online

87 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 87

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits