megworld
Freezing there account
  • 2007/12/23 22:09

• megworld

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/4 8

hello,

i am running a XOOPS system on my site (www.megworld.co.uk) i am wanting to freeze peoples accounts if they spam on the forum or use inappropriate language etc..... how would i go about doing this i know how to ban there ip but they can just use a different computer e.g. assess it at school (its a teenager only site) or something. i need to be able to freeze there account for a time period i specify. how would i go about doing that ???

thanks

Peekay
Re: Freezing there account
  • 2007/12/23 23:48

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

You can delete their posts, but don't delete the account of an offender - just change their password. That will stop them from logging in and will also make the email address and username invalid for a new registration.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

megworld
  • 2007/12/24 12:09

• megworld

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/4 8

thanks wont they just request there password via email though

Quest
  • 2007/12/24 12:26

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

You can create a new group called something like Banned or Suspended. Then go to the Module Access portion of the Banned Group and dis-allow them access to modules. Now find the users violating your Terms of Service and move them to the newly created Banned Group. Make sure they are only assigned to this one group only. That should do it for you...

Quest

Peekay
  • 2007/12/25 2:35

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

megworld wrote:
thanks wont they just request there password via email though

Actually, that is a *really* good point. The solution proposed by quest is better.

skenow
  • 2007/12/25 5:29

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Quote:

Quest wrote:
You can create a new group called something like Banned or Suspended. Then go to the Module Access portion of the Banned Group and dis-allow them access to modules. Now find the users violating your Terms of Service and move them to the newly created Banned Group. Make sure they are only assigned to this one group only. That should do it for you...

Quest

Yes - this is a good approach. I have taken to creating 2 new groups - one for restricted users and one for banned users. You can also use these accounts if you suspect an account has been hijacked. Be sure to remove the users you place in these groups from the registered users group.

Peekay
  • 2007/12/25 14:28

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

For managing users and groups, I can recommend the 'groups' module referenced in this thread. It's a relatively simple solution compared to managing groups using the conventional XOOPS control panel and it's ideal if you don't want to give the site operator full webmaster control.

Quest
  • 2007/12/26 10:14

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Thanks Peekay, I will give this module a try. I didn't realize Kaotik had this solution. Haven't heard from Kaotik in a while. Hope all is well...
Looks like he switched to wfdownloads so the new download link for the Group module is:
Group Manager 1.01

Happy Hollidays Everyone!

Quest

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits