BlueStocking
Would you know where 2.3 info is because

Sent: 2007/12/17 18:45:27
Re: I need to ask you some questions please?

Would you know where 2.3 info is because I have been looking at Drupal and it has everything I want, even if it's a steep learning curve, it is highly configurable from the backend, you don't seem to have to hack files, for them to work.

I will give one small example, the XOOPS profile absolutely sucks you have to hack files to get what you want, in Drupal the backend allows you to fairly easily add form functions without hacking the files, that is just from the core modules, I didn't need to add another module to do it. That is just a small part of my gripe with xoops.

So if you know where the 2.3 list of possible features are that would be great?

I love XOOPS and I like that DJ has taken over believe it or not, (dont understand all the #OOPS# going on lately) but I need to know that I am on a winner with xoops. Everything I want and need right now is in Drupal.

I wait for things to become available in XOOPS but release after release I am disappointed not from a coding or security point of view but from the POV of someone who wants to run a true community site, for those less techy.

I need to know if the devs are going to add the silly things like a birthday feature, or a configurable profile page that can be made site/topic specific, a simple thing that I know users want. I shouldn't have to add to more modules to do one simple thing lol.

If you can help that would be great if 2.3 don't have what I see as important then I will change to Drupal I have waited for years for the things I want, I really am getting sick of it lol.

Please make no mistake I love XOOPS and totally respect the people behind the scenes, but I also need to look forward, I have waited years so I am not going to just jump ship, but I also dont want to have to keep applying hacks for things that should be able to be done from the backend ;o)

XOOPS FRIEND;
First thank you for bringing your question to XOOPS where we can work together to provide the answer. I believe there are some persons who are suggesting module packages developed for specific purposes. Maybe some of those persons will give you a better answer than I could. Let's see...
Again Thank you for your interest in Xoops.
BS
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

nachenko
Re: Would you know where 2.3 info is because
  • 2007/12/18 13:22

• nachenko

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/18

Tricky question.

I'll tell you where Drupal sucks the first time: theming. This is one of the worst surprises you'll get from it. You're making amazing changes on the site without writing a single line of code, then suddenly you have to code a big fat lot overriding some osbcure theming function you didn't know it existed, just to add a linebreak somewhere. Oh, you will love Smarty after that and talk pests about PHPTemplate, no matter how much Drupallers defend it.

Drupal is also heavier than Xoops, doing many more database queries and requesting more memory for some tasks.

But as an application, it gives you all the features you could ever need for your day-to-day job on the site, and the taxonomy+CCK gives you amazing tools to change content structure "on the fly". You'll never get short on features with it.

That's the truth. Breeze on content management, horrible pain for theming. Once you beat theming, everything works like a charm.

stefan88
  • 2007/12/18 13:39

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Quote:
I will give one small example, the XOOPS profile absolutely sucks you have to hack files to get what you want

Why hack files - use a module instead. There is SmartProfile module. Use the one from smart factory if you have PHP5 or the modified version for PHP4. (The latest vestion from CVS should work with PHP4, but I had some problems...)

Quote:
I didn't need to add another module to do it

Yes, you add module, but this is why it's flexible. Why put everything in core if you do not need it. In 2.3 it is module again. In fact the SmartProfile module is based on that code from Myth.

And as nachenko pointed, XOOPS is very friendly to theme and customize thanks to smarty. I'm having some problems on that part with wordpress, as I volunteered to help a friend with his blog and use this as opportunity to have a look on another system...

Catzwolf
  • 2007/12/18 13:53

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

And Now that Marcan is with ImpressCMS, how long do you expect this module to continue?

As I have said before, any information regarding user information should be CORE and not in a module. If XOOPS wasn't at war with itself over everything maybe we could have all this as core rather than bickering about little things.

nachenko
  • 2007/12/18 13:58

• nachenko

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/18

Stefan88, Profile module is not in the core for Drupal. I mean ,it's in the main distribution, it's a "Core - Optional category" module, but you can deactivate it as any other module. If you want to compare on flexibility and you want XOOPS to win, don't compare to Drupal.

Will_H
  • 2007/12/18 14:42

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

lmao! All I know is SonyBMG (among other HUGE corps) is using Drupal for all their artists websites.

Name a Sony artist and then go to their website.

nanchenko is correct, theming for Drupal S.U.C.K.S.

However, I am becoming more and more a fan of php driven template engines, Smarty is great and simple... but the possibilities are certainly not endless. That is exactly the reason that every major designer works with php driven software. Why hasn't XOOPS got the designers that every other cms does? Simple.

1.) Designers get the big tsk tsk for tinkering with the engine. There really is no integration for us. A big "stay on your side" from big brother.

I am sorry but <{php}> only goes so far.

Resized Image Flame on.

hervet
  • 2007/12/18 18:28

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hello John,

Quote:

catzwolf_ wrote:
And Now that Marcan is with ImpressCMS, how long do you expect this module to continue?

You know, life without Marcan is possible
And I remember you this great sentence from his great friend, "James Morris" :
Quote:

Nobody is irreplaceable. This is Open Source, in spite of what some may think. Members, Developers, Moderators... They all come and go. Those that go are eventually replaced by someone with equal or greater skill and life goes on.

Concerning smartprofile, I recently used it for a client and I had to make some corrections (sent to Marcan)
You will find a corrected version here

Bye,
Hervé

mboyden
  • 2007/12/18 19:51

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

Yes, profiles has been a thorn in the collective side of XOOPS, However, Herve is right: SmartProfile is a great way to go, albeit not without a little effort along the way. Some time ago, I had posted on X.o my experiences with SmartProfile 1.0. Since then, a CVS version 1.0.3 was released via the forums at SmartFactory based on a number of bug fixes from others as well as me. I've posted on my site a list of remaining bugs I've found (most of which were reported on the now-down XOOPS dev forge) along with the code I used to fix them. I suppose that I could release the code I have, too, and I should compare it with Herve's code as well. Overall it works great, but there were a few things that needed fixing and tweaking. I'm awaiting a new release of the module, but I haven't heard anything from the factory about future plans (must be busy).

Links:
- SmartProfile
- SmartProfile CVS 1.0.3
- My Notes about SmartProfile

Hope that helps.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

wizanda
  • 2007/12/18 21:55

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

So much for all Skalpa's work and 2.2, which has profiles with added field....Smart Profiles is a copy of that module, without the added fields.....

I agree with Catz and would like to see it all brought into the core and installed as part of the main system also....

So XOOPS is continuing with 2.1 and me personally fixed and tided the whole of 2.2 for another fork that shouldn’t need to be......

It makes no sense that we have done all this work to make 2.2 a reality and then skip it (=2.3) or just miss it entirely.....

stefan88
  • 2007/12/19 16:30

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Quote:

good point, but...

1. When module was released for the first time it was only php5. It took just a few days for someone to make a php4. It is OSS - if it is something good, someone will pick it up...

2. ImpressCMS is something yet to be seen. I remember a person going out for another CMS, then starting his own, changing the name and I think he is still around with XOOPS, just can't remeber the name right now...

Quote:
As I have said before, any information regarding user information should be CORE and not in a module.

That is your view... But just imagine a site just for content - news, articles, maybe links and so on, no user submisions. Why do you need a user autentication functionality? For the Admin part? - Wrong, you may do this by a desktop application that will serve as content editor and secure client to update your site. Then you can have two database acounts - one for the site with permitions only to read the data and one for the desktop app with permitions to write data in database ... More secure, more simple and faster

@nachenko and anyone else
Speaking for Drupal - what version are you using? What is the compatability of modules and themes ...?

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits