Xman04
[Xman04-blog] Positioning XOOPS for the future.
  • 2007/11/2 16:08

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/12

I do a lot of reading on the latest technology trends within the Internet industry. What I've been noticing is that there are many CMS type social networks in existence, and more on the horizon. I'm concerned about this, because I feel that XOOPS needs to more clearly distinquish itself in the minds of the general public, especially since the competition is increasing in other areas.

An example of this potential competition is Ning.com. Ning is a free network that allows anyone to create their own social network or CMS type site. A user can register a free account, create their own CMS type portal, and configure many options. There is nothing to install and no need for a separate host server. It comes with several core features, such as forums, blogs, a basic article system, groups, photo galleries, a membership/profile display system, etc. Ning also comes with domain mapping (for a small fee), which will make a user's network appear as if it is self-standing and not part of the Ning network. I've come across several respectable organizations that are using NING for their CMS.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because Ning is one example of a trend towards more networks like this. I believe that XOOPS needs to clearly establish the advantages of using XOOPS over something such as Ning, in order to make it an attractive option to companies and organizations starting or migrating a CMS.

As for the capabilities, customizability, and applications of something like Ning, it is obviously very limited when compared to XOOPS. However, I'm not sure if the nondeveloper community perceives the significant differences between XOOPS and something like Ning. The XOOPS community and developers need to focus on making these differences obvious to the general public.

In my opinion, one of the major strengths of XOOPS is that it is a well structured CMS framework that allows the installation and easy administration of a wide variety of sophisticated CMS modules. Thus, I think that one of the major keys to distinguishing XOOPS from the other stuff out there, is to put a focus on developing modules with sophisticated functionality for a wide variety of business, media, and nonprofit applications. Yes, XOOPS already has modules like this, but I think that it needs to be expanded even further after the Core XOOPS upgrades are released, and include cutting-edge features such as AJAX functionality.

Another important element is to promote the degree of customization and extensibility available with XOOPS. I would like to see the creation and release of developer tools (for the web or desktop), which help developers streamline the customization and development of modules. Providing documentation and PDF style books that educate aspiring XOOPS developers would also go a long way towards this effort.

There are many aspects (that I've not mentioned here) of the current XOOPS and future versions of XOOPS that clearly make it a very powerful and superior CMS system. My main point is that these exceptional features need to be promoted and continuously evolved to clearly position XOOPS as something that is way above and beyond the other tools and systems out there, including the Drupals, Joomlas, etc. XOOPS is without question potentially the most powerful CMS system on the planet. I've experimented with just about everything out there, and I have no doubts about the superiority of XOOPS. We just need to clearly distinguish and focus on what makes XOOPS so special.

By the way, I'm willing to contribute to this effort. I'm not a PHP programmer right now (I will be working on that), but I am willing to start some kind of discussion group and/or a blog/site regarding the promotional aspects of XOOPS. If anyone is interested in getting involved with that or involving me in their own efforts, send me a message.

suico
Re: Positioning XOOPS for the future
  • 2007/11/2 19:25

• suico

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/24

Thanks for bringing this for the discussion.

ning seams a good effort but not a direct competitor for xoops. People who uses XOOPS often want to have full control of their aplications, some even use it only in internet.

About opening a new site about XOOPS you have my sign of good luck, but if you can put your efforts here in xoops.org as they always need people wanting to help, even if sometimes it is not that easy.

Thanks anyway for this info.
Yogurt Social Network Service
Visit:http://www.marcellobrandao.eti.br/

Xman04
  • 2007/11/2 20:30

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
ning seams a good effort but not a direct competitor for xoops. People who uses XOOPS often want to have full control of their aplications, some even use it only in internet.

There are reputable organizations that have decided to use Ning and networks similar to Ning for their CMS, even though they would have done much better with XOOPS.

I agree that companies wanting full control will not be satisfied by something like Ning, but there are many companies that do not realize the differences between different products, and will go the path of least resistance when all else "seems" equal.

I've seen many companies select a platform that was inappropriate to their needs because the marketing of the better platform was too weak to gain their attention.

You are right that Ning is not a direct competitor to XOOPS when the technical details are compared. They are very different animals. However, I believe that Ning is part of a larger trend towards the mentality of setting up a CMS in 60 seconds. And networks similar to Ning are trying to lure companies into going their way. In my opinion, XOOPS and anyone else in the CMS industry needs to consider this trend when marketing their own product.

There are a lot of CMS type products arriving and about to arrive, which means that every CMS organization needs to clearly articulate the unique strengths of their product in comparison to other products.

Quote:
About opening a new site about XOOPS you have my sign of good luck, but if you can put your efforts here in xoops.org as they always need people wanting to help, even if sometimes it is not that easy.

I would definitely be willing to help here at XOOPS.org in the same role that I mentioned earlier.

BlueStocking

May I suggest changing the heading on your original post here to

Then those interested, and I am, can keep track of where you are and your replies -- as it is I now look for your name to read what you have to offer.

Using the braces around your name for emphasis (in the heading). Could kind of give you a personal blogging corner. There (which is here) if you wanted to expand on the subject or change it completely, we would know where to find you, and could follow along without the need for additional subject headings to monopolize the board.

IT is a theory, I believe worth trying.

Do you wish to start it?

There are several people that have much to offer that I would like to see carve out a corner for themselves.

...darcy
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

seth_sd
  • 2007/11/2 20:54

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

XOOPS is in a bit of disarray right now but there are many people working to bring some accounability and organization into play. At times there have been "Marketing" teams here at XOOPS with differing levels of participation.

If the proposal to get the foundation layed for establishing teams is succesful I am sure that your efforts will be greatly appreciated. There is a lot of work to do in the area that you speak of.

Seth
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

Xman04
  • 2007/11/3 19:08

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
May I suggest changing the heading on your original post here to

Then those interested, and I am, can keep track of where you are and your replies -- as it is I now look for your name to read what you have to offer.

Hi Darcy,

I suppose we could give this a try. I've changed the heading as you suggested, and I will post my future thoughts and ideas regarding the positioning of XOOPS in this section. I'm sure that I will have a lot more to say in this area.

Although, I have some concerns as to how some members may react to me squeezing my own blog column into the forums. I'm thinking that it may be more appropriate if a blogging module is installed on XOOPS.org, so that anyone who wants to write on a particular topic area can have their own blog.

I read something a while back about a simple blogging system being developed, where each community member could have their own blog space. I'm not sure how that would work out though, especially if some of the arguing and negativity in the forums moves over to the blogs. I believe that any kind of blogging system should exist only to provide valuable information and positive ideas for the community.

Dave

Xman04
  • 2007/11/3 19:14

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
If the proposal to get the foundation layed for establishing teams is succesful I am sure that your efforts will be greatly appreciated. There is a lot of work to do in the area that you speak of.

Hi Seth,

I'm more than happy to do what I can to help in this area.

Dave

BlueStocking
Re: [Xman04-blog] Positioning XOOPS for the future.

Well, they can yell at me...
This was my idea and It served me well when you posted again.

Keep it up...
We may be on a roll.

I would like to see you involved in what we are doing now toward encouraging more community input from those that matter.... End-users like yourself.

It is my understanding we will have a wiki set up soon to help move things along in community participation direction.

Meanwhile keep giving us the benefit of your knowledge and experiences.

BlueStocking aka darcy in real life
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Login

Who's Online

153 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 153

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits