phppp
[XoopsProject] request - report from XOOPS official sites under-construction
  • 2007/6/10 12:57

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

There are a couple of websites planned to be part of the Project official site collection.

The XOOPS Project Council is requesting reports from the sites under-construction that are supposed to be "official":
site name, site url, site constructors, site purposes, site contents, current progress, time for available for community evaluation

Sites that are not reported by Friday (June 15th) will be considered as personal sites.

The XOOPS Project Council

Note:

what is a XOOPS official site?
A site that is officially announced by the XOOPS Project AND is using domains held or authorized to use by the Project.
Currently root domains authorized to use by the Project: xoops.org
root domains held by the Project: xoops.com

An official site shall use unified XOOPS Project theme or a theme recommended by the Design Team and approved by the Council.
Official site themes are mainly, if no exception, provided by the XOOPS Design Team.
Official site code bases are maintained by "XOOPS Technical Group" appointed by the XOOPS Core Development Team.

Local Support Site
A local support sites announced by the Project is recognized as "officially certified support site" instead of "official site", for instance the French support site htpp://www.frxoops.org

BlueStocking
Re: [XoopsProject] request - report from XOOPS official sites under-construction

Resized Image

Quote:

debianus
debianus
Send Private Message to debianus
Visit Website
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #9
Just popping in

From Spain, society on fault

tom wrote:
The XOOPS Communications Team Proposal

Tasks:

- Community coordination
Team will fall under it's own - [XoopsTeam] progress - community coordination - June 10th

Currently open to applicants and suggestions.

Suggestion: Tasks: communications with the XOOPS support local sites, organization, assistance, feedback etc.

I think that could to be a good idea this: all local support sites could use the same design theme and get an organization as ubuntu.

And the web name could be: xoops-es.org, xoops-it.org xoops-pt.org etc.

Excuse me; I do not know if this message is for "Community coordination" or "Tasks of XOOPS Communication".

The local support sites are very importants for the community: a lot of users do not understand english and they need support in the local language.
-------------------------------
Quote:
- Translations
-- Translate to other languages for use in international support sites

I want to help in translations to spanish: I had offered my help to Riosoft and I had request to the spanish community about this

Who I am?. Certainly I am registered since few time ago. I had used XOOPS three years ago but I am not a encoder a my english must to enhance. But I know XOOPS as normal user and think that translations an a strong local support could help to xoops.

I had translated to spanish: mpmanager (new version here) and hterror modules

Posted on: 2007/6/10 8:39

web-M
web-M
Send Private Message to web-M
Visit Website
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #10
Just popping in

From Netherlands

I think that could to be a good idea this: all local support sites could use the same design theme and get an organization as ubuntu.

Well I tink it's indeed important that there will come a (new) list of local supportsites that is up-to-date. I also think It's a good thing that they are presentated on the official site with the standard localsupport badgets.

But I think and I feel that the local supportsites are important sites that throug the years have build their one usergroup and have got their own identity. I think, from that perspective that it's not nessesary and maybe even not wanted that they have to give up there onw identity by giving up their URL and personal design. It's my personal opinion that this would be a great loss

If you want that you can better build a multi language site where support members translate the news and articles in that one particular site.

Dutch XOOPS support: www.xoops.nl
Personal: www.web-M.nl

Quote:

Rated: 1 Votes
kurak_bu
kurak_bu
Send Private Message to kurak_bu
Send Email to kurak_bu
Visit Website
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #11
Quite a regular

From Poland
Posts: 213 I agree with web-M, we should leave old domains and designs on local support sites. Personally I like the domain xoops.pl and theme which made DefianceB0y.

In my opinion current support list is good (https://xoops.org/modules/xoopspartners/ ).
Keeping local sites good-looking and up to date is a problem of local admins, not XOOPS.org leaders
Posted on: 2007/6/10 9:19

debianus
debianus
Send Private Message to debianus
Visit Website
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #12
Just popping in

From Spain, society on fault
Posts: 18 Perhaps you are in the right and the domains must not change. Ok.
But the current support list need the atention of xoops.org. Of course keeping local sites is a problem of local admins but xoops.org must pay some attention.

Posted on: 2007/6/10 9:53

DefianceB0y
DefianceB0y
Send Private Message to DefianceB0y
Send Email to DefianceB0y
Visit Website
YIM
MSNM
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #13
Quite a regular

From xoopsville

Pleases me you guys liked the theme and I'm privileged to have one of my themes installed on an official support site such as XOOPS.pl.
Thank you
Posted on: 2007/6/10 10:00

Mamba
Mamba
Send Private Message to Mamba
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #14
Quite a regular

From

But I think and I feel that the local supportsites are important sites that throug the years have build their one usergroup and have got their own identity. I think, from that perspective that it's not nessesary and maybe even not wanted that they have to give up there onw identity by giving up their URL and personal design. It's my personal opinion that this would be a great loss

Loss of what? If this is about :

- being part of XOOPS world family
- support for XOOPS

then what is wrong with having a consistent "look & feel" across all support domains?

Sure, almost every Webmaster wants to show off his/her skills and wants to make changes, but why not to use your own Website to show it off, but stick to a standard "look & feel" of the "official" local XOOPS support site?

We have to be more "customer driven" in our thinking. If a user who speaks 2-4 languages wants to switch from US site to German and then to French support site, why do we want him to spend several minutes before he figures out the local design and navigation, because everybody has something totally different?

Wouldn't it be easier for him if the sites would be consistent in their design?

There should be a difference between an "official" support site, and Joe's, Jean's, or Johann's personal XOOPS oriented Website.

Posted on: 2007/6/10 10:00

snow77
snow77
Send Private Message to snow77
Visit Website
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #15
Just can't stay away

From B612
There should be a difference between an "official" support site, and Joe's, Jean's, or Johann's personal XOOPS oriented Website.

When it is defined what makes a site considered to be "official", and why it should be like this and how it's planned to be succesfully achieved.

Then it would be easier to make the differentiation you mention.

...away, following the teachings of zetareticuli
Posted on: 2007/6/10 10:07

BlueStocking
BlueStocking
Send Private Message to BlueStocking
Visit Website
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #16
Quite a regular

From
I absolutely agree, all official XOOPS sites should have a like continuity from an end user stand point of view. And the theme should be both IE6 and FireFox user friendly across all official sites.

End users such as myself are interested in getting to the information needed so we can get on with our lives. We have engough to worry about without the added question, "Is this official and why must I change browsers in order to get the information I need?"

Those of us, not "in the loop", need a representative.

In the END it is the END USER that will determine the fate of Xoops.

BlueStockings

Posted on: 2007/6/10 10:24

phppp
phppp
Send Private Message to phppp
Visit Website
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #17
XOOPS Core Developer

From Montreal
Posts: 1745 Please move "official sites" related discussions to Official Sites report
*http://xoopsforge.com for open discussion
Posted on: 2007/6/10 10:29

BlueStocking
BlueStocking
Send Private Message to BlueStocking
Visit Website
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #18
Quite a regular

From

Absolutely, that is the first step in making the WHOLE XOOPS site multi-language. MediaWiki is setup to accommodate that naming convention. I love it.

BlueStockings

Posted on: 2007/6/10 10:29

DefianceB0y
DefianceB0y
Send Private Message to DefianceB0y
Send Email to DefianceB0y
Visit Website
YIM
MSNM
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #19
Quite a regular

From xoopsville
Posts: 338 Maybe a Quality Assurance team or Promotion team should be in charge of a matter such as this.

Among other things they should decide what sites are to be labeled as Certified XOOPS Support Sites, as XOOPS can't afford sending people the wrong way when it comes to support in other language than english, they should evaluate the area of help a site can provide for its XOOPS users and never the less the quality of the content the given site has.

XOOPS Support Site admins have paramount work to do but that doesn't mean certain areas must be overlooked.

Registering www.xoops.mycountry does not make me an official support site as i'm unable to give support due to my lack of knowledge in php.
Posted on: 2007/6/10 10:31

kurak_bu
kurak_bu
Send Private Message to kurak_bu
Send Email to kurak_bu
Visit Website
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th #20
Quite a regular

From Poland
de.xoops.org
es.xoops.org
ru.xoops.org , like in wikipedia :)
It would be only redirections.
every xoops-xx.org domain costs, subdomain is free. IMHO existing domains like xoops.ru have to stay still alive and work as a (maybe) main adress.

Thread Copied and pasted from...
[XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

snow77
Re: [XoopsProject] request - report from XOOPS official sites under-construction
  • 2007/6/10 16:21

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

Site Name: XOOPS official site
URL: xoops.org / xoops.com
Site constructors: none, all aborted (used to be all members of mxo)
Site purposes: Main XOOPS site. Promote the XOOPS product, explain what the XOOPS project consists of. Download of official core releases, language packs and security releases. News exclusively classified as official. Availibility in multilanguage.
Site contents: HTML example of content structure given by the past core developers, Skalpa and Rowdie.
Current progress: NA
Time for available for community evaluation: NA

- Only site that was considered to be official which work was done on.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

BlueStocking

Resized Image

JMorris
  • 2007/6/10 17:01

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

BS,

I disagree. Please see the XOOPS Certified Local Support Site Guidelines.

Local Support Sites are not built and/or managed by the XOOPS Project and XOOPS Foundation. They are built by community members for community members. They receive "Official Recognition" as a Local Support Site, but they are not "Official" XOOPS Project sites, there is a difference here.

"Official" sites are owned and managed by the XOOPS Project/XOOPS Foundation.

"Officially Recognized" sites are built by community members, for community members.

To force Local support sites to adhere to a strict guideline of theme and domain would be to remove elements of control over the site from the community that built it.

I thought we were trying to move away from a situation where the Project decided what the community could and could not do.

IMHO, the only websites that should be under the control and management of the XOOPS Project/XOOPS Foundation are www.xoops.org (Project Homepage) and docs.xoops.org (Project Documentation). ALL other sites should be built by and managed by the community.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

sailjapan

In this new dawn of openness, I hope that this comment by a relative noob isn't out of place.

I (and surely others) have always felt that the fracturing of the various sections of XOOPS.org into a handful of different sites at different domains was one of the most ludicrous decisions made by the old management team. It seemed that while folks were keen to see a revamped site here, once told by the management that sections were to be farmed out, all the energies that could have been harnessed to undertake the re-make at XOOPS.org were scattered in various directions and weakened by their division.

I am in no way criticising the good XOOPizens who went out and set up as best they could (Carnuke, rabbideu, et al), I just think that it was a terrible mistake to send them off like that.

Support should be here. Modules should be here, Themes should be here, News should be here, Devs should be here, the Wiki should be here. All with the same image, integrated, united, run by the community.

There's room for privately run, and independent sites if folk want to do them. Nothing wrong with that. On the contrary, variety is the spice and all that. But the official site... what on earth would it be without all those section?

Please, if we're trying to present XOOPS as project for a diverse (as in nationalities and character) yet unified (as in direction and focus) community, then surely we have to start with our own front yard. XOOPS.org

I don't really understand what this 'mxo' group was up to, and it doesn't really matter now. What matters is moving on in the right direction.

Subdomains for local XOOPS communities and main sections sounds like a reasonable idea. Offer the various 'National' sites the chance to become more identifiable with the project as a whole, rather than an offshoot, and I'd imagine they'd jump at the chance...

I've probably said too much but I will add that I sincerely am not knocking anyone's efforts to date. What we need and, from the tone of the people rallying to phppp's call, what we're going to get, is one of the most 'together' and vital OS communities out there.

Goodness knows, we have the tools and the enthusiasm.

P.S. If anyone can find a good use to which I can be put (be kind please), I'm standing here ready and willing.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

sailjapan

Quote:

JMorris wrote:

I thought we were trying to move away from a situation where the Project decided what the community could and could not do.

IMHO, the only websites that should be under the control and management of the XOOPS Project/XOOPS Foundation are www.xoops.org (Project Homepage) and docs.xoops.org (Project Documentation). ALL other sites should be built by and managed by the community.

Why can't the community be trusted to maintain the various sections here? XOOPS is great with permissions Seriously.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

JMorris
  • 2007/6/10 17:57

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Community is to an Open Source Software Project as fans are to a Baseball Game.

We have the "opportunity" to be on the team that's doing the work, but we are not guaranteed a position. Skill, effort and hard work earn us our place. Ultimately, it's the coach that calls the final shots and leads the way for the team.

The fans in the stands make the game possible. Without them, there would be no reason to play the game. However, the fans don't dictate how the game is played.

If you need a clearer example, look at how other large Open Source Software Projects are run.

What some of the community are proposing is not open source. It's a fee for all.

The definition of insanity has been said to be, "doing the same things and expecting different results."

If the project is going to grow into a true enterprise class CMS, we are going to have to stop making the same mistakes over and over.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

BlueStocking

James,
My comment referred specifically to Official sites...

In my opinion Xoops.org is the official site along with the ones they list as local support.

I would expect to find everything I need on my local XOOPS support site, namely... *xoops.org* *dev.xoops.org*
extending it to *languagesuffice_.xoops.org* if it be multilanguage.

themes.xoops.org would also be nice!

Unofficial sites could be at anybodys whim... I may or may not find a need to visit them.

BlueStockings

Marco
  • 2007/6/10 19:19

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Quote:

snow77 wrote:
Site Name: XOOPS official site
URL: xoops.org / xoops.com
Site constructors: none, all aborted (used to be all members of mxo)
Site purposes: Main XOOPS site. Promote the XOOPS product, explain what the XOOPS project consists of. Download of official core releases, language packs and security releases. News exclusively classified as official. Availibility in multilanguage.
Site contents: HTML example of content structure given by the past core developers, Skalpa and Rowdie.
Current progress: NA
Time for available for community evaluation: NA

- Only site that was considered to be official which work was done on.

as long as i know, rowd was supposed to work on the xoops.com, and made already one good attempt. What's going on on that? Lost?

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
BS,

I disagree. Please see the XOOPS Certified Local Support Site Guidelines.

Local Support Sites are not built and/or managed by the XOOPS Project and XOOPS Foundation. They are built by community members for community members. They receive "Official Recognition" as a Local Support Site, but they are not "Official" XOOPS Project sites, there is a difference here.

"Official" sites are owned and managed by the XOOPS Project/XOOPS Foundation.

"Officially Recognized" sites are built by community members, for community members.

To force Local support sites to adhere to a strict guideline of theme and domain would be to remove elements of control over the site from the community that built it.

well, are we clever enough to know the subdirectory redirection feature?
On an end user point of view/need, to have a remarkable memotechnic url would be nice indeed.
fr.xoops.org ==> frxoops.org
de.xoops.org ==> myxoops.org
etc.
marco
Do synergy or die.

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits