attock
Is xoops.org (the site) slow, or is it just me?
  • 2007/4/29 22:59

• attock

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/8/20

Is this site slow, or is it just me?

I was wondering...

Infact searching within the forums is so slow that I decided not to even search for a similar topic.

skenow
Re: Is xoops.org (the site) slow, or is it just me?
  • 2007/4/29 23:08

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

When you consider the database that drives this site is close to 1GB, you realize there will be some performance improvement opportunities - which are just a few of the reasons for the server upgrades and site reconfigurations.

attock
  • 2007/4/29 23:19

• attock

• Not too shy to talk

I have seen several forums (websites) which *huge* number of users and posts. Some of them are using Invision Power Board, while others are using vbulletin.

Does it imply that newbb's capabilities to handle huge databse is not so good?

skenow
  • 2007/4/29 23:35

• skenow

• Home away from home

A general search will use the search functions of each module to search the entire database. A module specific search, like the search function of newbb, only searches specific fields and tables of the database.

Try this experiment - use the search phrase 'slow site' in the general search. Then try the same phrase in the forum search. I found quite a difference because the scope of the search is different for each.

attock
  • 2007/4/29 23:52

• attock

• Not too shy to talk

Every things seems to work so fast right now :\

But generally, I have found newbb would take much longer.

tom
  • 2007/4/30 0:11

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Things sometimes get slow, especially when there are huge numbers of queries from members, guests, search engines and so on.

James is currently working on the new servers, once they are optimised and ready for xoops.org, the sites will be moved or load balanced during the transition (not sure on that though, so don't quote me, lol).

The new sites will be spread over two servers, which will also help improve the speed dramatically.

You should then see a massive improvement.

This changes are happening now in the background, however I'm not sure when the transfer will start though.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

ewonline
  • 2007/4/30 0:40

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

skenow wrote:
When you consider the database that drives this site is close to 1GB, you realize there will be some performance improvement opportunities

A 1GB DB isn't exactly uncommon these days. MySQL is well designed and can easily handle large databses.

I look forward to the new servers though. Are you guys using a load balancer in front of them?
Resized Image

tom
  • 2007/4/30 3:04

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:
I look forward to the new servers though. Are you guys using a load balancer in front of them?

So do I

With regards to the load balancing, I would assume so, however James is the one managing, tuning, and getting high on huge amounts of caffeine, so he would be the one to ask about this, if your interested.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

JMorris
  • 2007/4/30 3:07

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

We will be splitting Apache/PHP and MySQL between 2 servers. For the needs of XOOPS.org, this is the most logical approach as we can run 2 relatively modest servers with separated processes that will perform better than a "load balanced" pair of servers that share processes.

The fact is, once you have a site as large as XOOPS.org, you need a dedicated SQL server and a dedicated Apache/PHP server. That is what we are working on.

Also, above and beyond the server issue, we are attending to the issue of the outdated modules on this site.

Fact is, CBB is much faster than the version of NewBB used here and we will be migrating!

There is a lot of work still to be done, but progress is very good and an "official" announcement will be made soon.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

ewonline
  • 2007/4/30 5:01

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

Just wondering, does XOOPS.org use a php opcode cacher like xcache, eaccelerator, apc. etc? If yes, which one.
Resized Image

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits