eric235u
How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People
  • 2007/4/18 14:52

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

hi all. i was talking with some local LUG members and they suggested a video to me. i just finished watching it and figured some folks here may find it interesting. hope you enjoy.

How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People (And You Can Too).

Quote:
Google Tech Talks January 25, 2007

ABSTRACT

Every open source project runs into people who are selfish, uncooperative, and disrespectful. These people can silently poison the atmosphere of a happy developer community. Come learn how to identify these people and peacefully de-fuse them before they derail your project. Told through a series of (often amusing) real-life anecdotes and experiences.

goodwrench1
Re: How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People

Very relevant in todays atmosphere. Thanks.

jmorris2
  • 2007/4/18 16:09

• jmorris2

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/17

Interesting presentation. Some good points there. Thanks.
The lights are on... nobody's home

Speed
  • 2007/4/18 16:34

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Remarkably good presentation. Thank you.

Lots of common sense things that while obvious are often overlooked.

Dave_L
  • 2007/4/18 17:15

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Thanks for posting that.

In my opinion, some of the points made in that video illustrate what's wrong with XOOPS development. E.g., lack of a design direction and poor communication.

wizanda
  • 2007/4/18 17:56

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

This is take 2 of this video on here, bandit-x posted this also and we added it also on my site......find it quite meta-physical and suggest everyone watches it; as in any community scenario it has allot of useful points in it for everyone.

eric235u
  • 2007/4/18 18:11

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

Quote:

Dave_L wrote:
Thanks for posting that.

In my opinion, some of the points made in that video illustrate what's wrong with XOOPS development. E.g., lack of a design direction and poor communication.

hi Dave_L,
i see that you are member of the management team. are you or others taking steps to improve design direction and communication. or could you give me a link to where this is addressed. thanks.

Quote:

This is take 2 of this video on here, bandit-x posted this also and we added it also on my site......find it quite meta-physical and suggest everyone watches it; as in any community scenario it has allot of useful points in it for everyone.

hi wizanda,
i've read some of your posts before and enjoy them very much. i didn't know this video had already been posted. i'm trying to learn more about the Free / Open Source development model. if you have any suggested links i'd love to see them. thanks.

vaughan
  • 2007/4/18 18:20

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

Quote:

hi Dave_L,
i see that you are member of the management team. are you or others taking steps to improve design direction and communication. or could you give me a link to where this is addressed. thanks.

the links are all over the forum about this particualr address, but you'll have to sort through a lot of irrelevant off topic posts in them to find the real information.. due to a few certain trolls.

but yes these issues are & will be addressed soon, but i can't give a time frame.. we had a discussion on sunday in regards to the direction of XOOPS & the development & also the community direction as a whole, although I can't say too much about this at moment, i will say there is going to be some major changes in both development areas & community areas, especially in communications and news releases..

Dave_L
  • 2007/4/18 18:50

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Quote:
hi Dave_L,

I'm not really an active member of the "management team"; no one's bothered to update my "title". I'm not even sure if the team still exists. And I'm not privy to the private discussions among the core developers, so I can't provide any insight on that.

The fact that the discussions go on "behind closed doors" doesn't give one a good feeling, does it?

P.S. The book recommended in that video, "Producing Open Source Software: How to Run a Successful Free Software Project", by Karl Fogel, can be purchased in print, but it's also online:http://producingoss.com/

vaughan
  • 2007/4/18 19:09

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

Quote:

The fact that the discussions go on "behind closed doors" doesn't give one a good feeling, does it?

sorry Dave, my comment sounded like it was a discussion behind closed doors with the devs. it wasn't with the devs, it was just relaying some information from the devs for some future news articles etc in relation to some of the communities requests, 1 of which James has already posted on the forum in the members lounge to let the community know a bit more about what is going on. But we are trying to improve the communication system as a whole, sooner rather than later.

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits