middleton
Storytelling Module
  • 2007/3/19 20:18

• middleton

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/21

Back when my site was perl-based, I was using a storytelling script, where members could start stories or collaborate on existing stories. Each member could edit any of their submissions; each new submission (if part of an existing story) was added as a chapter, and a table of contents was generated.

I haven't yet found a XOOPS module that does this, nor have I found an existing module that I could modify into a storytelling module.

So I thought I'd see if any of you can suggest a module that could (easily?) be modified to suit my needs.

Thanks,
Brad

middleton
Re: Storytelling Module
  • 2007/3/19 22:16

• middleton

• Just popping in

I did find a copy of the last known version of the "Storyline" module from 2002:

Storyline v1.5

It installs fine in XOOPS 2.0.16 however it doesn't work as far as the functions go (create categories, stories, etc.). I don't know enough about how XOOPS works in order to 'upgrade' this module to work with the current version.

davidl2
  • 2007/3/19 22:20

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

The trouble is, the developer dropped support for the stand-alone Storyline - although I believe a couple of people may have carried on with this in its free-standing form.

www.tthfanfic.com uses a more up-to-date version of the script, but I don't know if they'd make it available.

You may be better looking at one of the other XOOPS content modules - and seeing if they can be adapted to something suitable... I would suspect perhaps "SmartSection" or "Article" may be the closest - although the templates etc would need a bit of work....

davidl2
  • 2007/3/19 22:26

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

A fairly recent updated version of Storyline can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/cab_moore/storyline.html

In an earlier thread about Storyline - the stand-alone script efiction was mentioned as one worth connecting with XOOPS - I don't believe this was done, but you can find eFiction here:
http://www.efiction.org/

middleton
  • 2007/3/20 4:02

• middleton

• Just popping in

Thanks for the info, I actually had read up on the past posts too. Too bad it the development was dropped.

I have installed efiction and am trying it out. It looks to be more than I could ever want as far as fan fiction capabilities go. The only thing is, it isn't integrated into Xoops, so users will have to register separately.

Not the best solution, but I guess it's a small price to pay for an extensive storytelling script.

davidl2
  • 2007/3/20 8:57

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I'm sure it should be possible to create a bridge between the two systems... now if eFiction supported LDAP - that would be easy enough...

middleton
  • 2007/3/20 15:49

• middleton

• Just popping in

Whoa you lost me there.

Not sure about the LDAP thing (a search in their forums didn't bring up anything) however I know that someone created a 'bridge' to use eFiction in conjunction with the Coppermine image gallery.

But that's as far as my little brain will take me...

davidl2
  • 2007/3/20 15:58

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Sorry - I went off in a tangent there

LDAP is a method of sharing information across different systems - ie you could allow XOOPS to use a forum that is not a native module, but allows LDAP logins.

(I think I'm correct in this - but I'm not 100% sure )

Yes, it seems they don't use this feature - but who knows... perhaps someone will be able to hack some way of sharing user details across the two systems....?

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits