kindredwolf
New Install Successful - but can't add Modules
  • 2007/3/11 2:16

• kindredwolf

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/11

So I have successfully installed XOOPS 2.0.16 on a shared hosting webserver using a LAMP style setup.

No errors were given during install process.

When I go to the admin menu and select modules, it shows me the "system" module and nothing else. I have uploaded "XOOPS2_mod_content-0.5.zip" to the modules directory.

There is no button or option to install a new module anywhere that I can see.

If I am simply being stupid or blind, please correct me and show me what I must do to get this going.

Also - am I correct in understanding that I can not add content until I have something like this module installed? I did not see anything in the basic install that allows me to add any kind of content.

Need help ASAP.

kindredwolf
Re: New Install Successful - but can't add Modules
  • 2007/3/11 2:34

• kindredwolf

• Just popping in

The only button I have visible below the listing for the "system" module is 'submit'. There is no install or delete button, or anything else. I can still rename the system module and successfully updated from ver. 1 to ver. 1.02 - but I've hit a brick wall here now.

skenow
  • 2007/3/11 2:39

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Have you extracted the zip-file on your local drive before uploading it? The modules admin looks for a folder and xoops_version.php file in that folder.

Review the information in Starting a new XOOPS site, especially this post for adding modules to your site.

Stewdio
  • 2007/3/11 2:40

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but you didn't uplkoad the .zip/.tar to your server did you? The system won't decompress the files for you if thats what you were thinking No worries, some systems do, this wasn't one doesn't

One other thing I can think of, is that you uploaded the wrong folder structure.

Depending on who packaged the module, you may have to go one level deeper, then upload the entire structure.

ModuleName_Version_2.0.8.7.6.5.4 (etc... you get the point)
--ModuleName_Foo
----ModuleName <---- This could be the culprit
------ModuleName <--- Try this
--------Folder
--------Folder
--------file.php

Make sure you have xoops_version.php in the root of your module folder as well, thats one way to know that you have uploaded the correct structure.

I know I've stated the obvious, but I've missed some pretty dumb things in my time, so I know the first place to look when things just don't look right

Hope it helps some. If not, post back and let us know
XOOPS Community Support

kindredwolf
  • 2007/3/11 2:57

• kindredwolf

• Just popping in

Thank you - that does help and it did show up onscreen.

Now that I've got it installed though - it doesn't work, even though it says it was installed successfully.

I believe the problem lies with the permissions applied upon install. chmod of 600 on "EVERYTHING"

So I'm thinking to myself "WTF"? And there are a ton of files here to change so it will read properly.

Stewdio
  • 2007/3/11 3:02

• Stewdio

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I odn't know anything about the moudule so I Can't say for sure what the problem is. I do know that you don't have to chmod anything except folders specified, usualy in a read.me file somewhere.

Could it be a compatibily issue with your version of XOOPS?

Group permissions set via the admin?

Maybe uninstall, delete. Clear template_c and cache folders, reupload, reactivate?

Could be as a simple as a corrupt file.

Dunno. Got any other details, or error messages you can share?
XOOPS Community Support

kindredwolf
  • 2007/3/11 3:15

• kindredwolf

• Just popping in

Trying my host's tech support first.

Small annoyance I need to resolve, if possible. My host does not allow me to use chmod on anything but a single filename or folder at a time. No wildcards. (insert explitive here).

I'll get them to reset all the perms for me and if the 'content' module does not work then, I'll try clearing the cache, delete, reinstall as suggested.

Hrmm... reminds me of a song :P (to the tune of "Camptown races")

*singing* Fdisk, Format, Reinstall - doo dah, doo dah

kindredwolf
  • 2007/3/11 3:54

• kindredwolf

• Just popping in

OK, so here's how I got the chmod thing to work.

I found out how to use the shell access available in my cpanel and used the commands as listed on the following link. (God, where were these commands a year ago when I needed them for work?!)

Very simple way to chmod entire directory tree for just directories and just files...

Click here --> Recursively chmod directories only

Oh, and the 'content' module works now!!! Yay!!!

Just one more side question for you guys, slightly unrelated.

How do I modify the "Home" page of XOOPS? Do I need another module?

skenow
  • 2007/3/11 5:51

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

In System Admin (Administration Menu) -> Preferences -> General Settings: Module for start page

stefan88
  • 2007/3/11 6:56

• stefan88

• Since: 2004/9/20

Quote:
In System Admin (Administration Menu) -> Preferences -> General Settings: Module for start page

or

put some blocks on "top page" and/or create some new blocks and set them for "top page" ...

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits