skenow
Effects of template overriding on new releases of modules
  • 2007/1/29 21:13

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

After spending a few days trying to figure out why the social bookmarking feature of the new News module release (1.51) wasn't working, I finally realized it was the theme I was using (Zeta Reticuli and Morphogenesis and variants based on those). Both those themes, and many new themes being released are making use of template overrides.

For other users updating or adding modules - know what template overrides are part of the theme you are using (look in /themes/YOUR_THEME/modules/). Switch to one of the default XOOPS themes (default, x2t, or phpkaox) to see if that solves your problems. Follow all the other recommendations for clearing templates_c and updating your templates.

For theme developers - please explicitly state what template overrides you are using and which module version(s) are the basis for your templates.

For core developers - how will the new system admin area inform users which template is in use? Viewing the template in System Admin > Templates only shows the templates added by the modules, not those modified by the themes. Even Gijoe's tpladmin module does not assist in this. Consideration must be given to this, which is part of the core, not a hack introduced by theme developers or module developers.

Sorry if this seems like a rant, but I am hoping to improve the user experiences with XOOPS and eliminate any frustration others might have in similar situations.

davidl2
Re: Effects of template overriding on new releases of modules
  • 2007/1/29 21:57

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

skenow wrote:
A
For core developers - how will the new system admin area inform users which template is in use? V

I think the XOOPS Info module will help with this.

snow77
  • 2007/1/30 1:53

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

what is it in the template overriding of zeta retilculi, morphogenesis and the derivations of these that cause your site/module not to display ok? so that way the templates can be rewritten

Template overriding exists since XOOPS version 2.0.14, so every XOOPS theme has these abilities not just these.

Thanks for noticing this, I'll have in mind expliciting the versions of these for the work process.

skenow
  • 2007/1/30 3:34

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

@davidl2 - thanks for pointing out that feature in XoopsInfo! I hadn't installed it yet, but that does answer the questions about what template is in effect.

@snow77 - News 1.51 adds a new section to news_article.html to display the social bookmark links. I was looking in all the usual places to determine why they were not displaying in my test sites. I even looked at the database to see what the template source was. After scouring the forums, I realized the theme I was using had overridden those templates.

davidl2
  • 2007/1/30 10:38

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Would definately recommend XoopsInfo Just being able to track updates on modules is worth it alone...

Login

Who's Online

501 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 501

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits