kozuch82
Re: [design] The design framework
  • 2007/1/14 15:39

• kozuch82

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/2 2

Hi folks,

what about a design summary? Or what is the state of the topic today actually?

davidl2
  • 2007/1/21 23:54

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Work is progressing slowly, but moving along.

Mamba
  • 2007/1/21 23:58

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Work is progressing slowly, but moving along.

Thanks for the update! Are there any previews options?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

snow77
  • 2007/1/22 0:14

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

if you download the trunk from the SVN that can give you starting idea.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

rabideau
  • 2007/2/5 21:01

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Hi all...

In the better late than never category ????

I have been playing around with themes quite a bit lately. Some of you may have noticed.... Anyway, I have created a demonstration site for my 10 most recent wireframe themes at:

http://eirenicon.org (see the Test our Themes block on the left)

All of these wireframe themes are rooted in exactly the same code (CSS & html). As I've moved from format to format, I have been trying a number of different and some peculiar layouts. I think all work well within the construct of the individual site. I've also done my best, such as that is, to make certain these themes are w3c compliant.

Other items I've been incorporating in my themes include:

1. the use of Opacity,
2. Flash and
3. Font resizing
4. speed (small size with minimal use of large images, except the flash stuff )

In the spirit of sharing what I've learned... I am happy to work with anyone to further the cause of developing an elegant interface for XOOPS.

You may download two versions of my wireframe themes without registration on thehttp://eirenicon.org site.

If someone on this forum or team would like access to a specific variant that is not currently downloadable, just let me know (pm?) and we can make appropriate arrangements,
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

carnuke
  • 2007/2/6 9:30

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

The designs so far look very promising, but I would really like to see them on a stripped down mirror of xoops.org As for the theme features and layouts; again, many of them look good on paper, but we need to test them to see how they translate in real usage. How useful are 'hideable side panels'? Ive had them on my site for years and never used them. Maybe others do?

Menu systems are usually a major area for lots of differing opinions. We can get completely locked up in trivial details which prevent us moving forwards.

We need a test site so that these concepts can be trialled by a variety of users like my 87 year old grandmother and my 5 year old daughter as well as seasoned XOOPS users.

The filtering process must come from real life usage, not just theoretical constructs.

Ultimately we should have a theme selector here on the main site where users can choose and test and make their decision on a poll.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

rabideau
  • 2007/2/6 12:12

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Thanks Richard,

I fully agree. I would add that I am more than willing to host a skinny version of the XOOPS site for development, testing and ultimately roll out purposes of a revised XOOPS site.

I think it is time we make demonstrateable progress on this effort, for the sake of the XOOPS community and furtherance of XOOPS.

I would additionally say that in looking at our competition, we ought to be able to make a significantly better and more flexible presence than many.

My recommendation would be that this effort, like most open source efforts, be iterative. We need not come up with the perfect solution the first time. As Richard says we can poll folks for their opinions and go with what seems good within a limited time window; from there we should not be shy. It is okay to have version 2, 3, +. I, also, think, it ought to be acceptable to offer multiple themeatic views of XOOPS.

To my mind, we are trying to do more than one thing here. We want the site to be elegant, useful, tailorable, customizable and standards oriented. To achieve these objectives we need a robust environment, not necessarily a single simple solution.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

JMorris
  • 2007/2/7 12:21

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Relevant quote from my post in the How do we give XOOPS appeal and user satisfaction? thread.

Quote:
I have to be 100% honest here, and I apologize if this offends anyone. I’ve seen the proposed new theme and it’s a nice theme that would be well suited for many professional applications. However, it hardly screams to me “cutting edge CMS”. Quite frankly, it’s not even all that original. Also, since it’s based on a theme that came out over 2 years ago, it’s already dated and tons of sites already have a simpler variation of it installed. Again, no offense intended, but I don’t feel the proposed new theme is the very best that XOOPS can do.

IMHO, we should challenge the community to design the most modern, cutting edge, standards compliant theme out there, with included module templates. Of course, we would have to supply them with a list of modules to be used so they will know what modules templates to rewrite.

How to go about that you ask? Break the elephant into smaller chunks!

There are some exceptionality gifted graphics designers in this community, but many of them are only OK with XHTML/CSS. There are a lot of XHTML/CSS experts in this community, but many of them are not that great with graphics design. There are some who are great at both, but many of them are too busy with their paid work to take on the full challenge. So here’s what I propose…

Ask the community to submit their very best PSD/PNG layout. Give them a 1 month deadline. Allow multiple submissions, but do not allow discussion (no 20 page thread!). After a month, put up the Poll module and screenshots of each layout and give the community 1 week to vote on their favorite submission. The layout with the most votes wins, period! No discussion.

After the winning layout is selected, hand it over to a small group of XOOPS most skilled XHTML/CSS coders along with a list of module templates that need re-written. Let this team sub-divide the work between them and give them 3 months to complete the task using a test XOOPS site with content. After three months is up, present it to the community and install it on the sites.

IMHO, the theme that is currently being proposed for the new sites would actually be best suited as the new “Default” theme that is included with XOOPS. It’s generic enough to fit many applications, it’s a good example of proper theme coding, and it’s highly flexible for those who wish to customize it. In other words, it’s the perfect default theme.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

davidl2
  • 2007/2/7 13:16

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I believe a variation of this comes with the latest releases of 2.3

carnuke
  • 2007/2/7 13:23

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

JMorris>>Quote:
I have to be 100% honest here, and I apologize if this offends anyone. I’ve seen the proposed new theme and it’s a nice theme that would be well suited for many professional applications. However, it hardly screams to me “cutting edge CMS”. Quite frankly, it’s not even all that original. Also, since it’s based on a theme that came out over 2 years ago, it’s already dated and tons of sites already have a simpler variation of it installed. Again, no offense intended, but I don’t feel the proposed new theme is the very best that XOOPS can do.

James, Im sorry, but what theme are you talking about? Is it publically available for us to see? If not it's somewhat violating to discuss this here, as n0-one else can comment.

Ive seen some screen shots of themes by designers in this thread. Is it one of these.

Please be specific, this is a public discussion and I dont think you should divulge privileged information where others cant comment.

(my knife is NOT drawn)
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

Login

Who's Online

231 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 231

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits