elroy62
Module File for Not Found! - Save Xoops from Joomla!
  • 2007/1/11 21:10

• elroy62

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/11

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone is able to help me as I could potentially look pretty stupid - about 6 months ago someone was asking what the best CMS would be for developing a simple site and I recommended Xoops. Most other people recommended Joomla, but I said XOOPS was more stable and robust.

However, having spent ages installing the cms, the modules, editing all the html, etc etc it's gone pear-shaped because I installed a module (now I'm getting shedloads of slack because all the Joomlaists are saying it couldn't happen in Joomla as it error-checks every file before it uploads and you don't even need to manually ftp everything etc and that only a poorly-designed CMS would do this.

So I need some help in recovering this, basically I get loads of empty module entries saying 'Module File for Not Found!' which basically mean the entire CMS grinds to a halt and I can't install/remove/modify any modules...

- I've read through the FAQ entry on this an umpteen posts, however nothing seems to work - I think it might have been the annoying Archcontent module as it had everything in a sub-sub-directory for some reason in it's pack that I missed...

I've reuploaded it, to no avail.

I've tried everything except the final stage which says about going into phpmyadmin and modifying all the tables manually - my host doesn't supply phpmyadmin preinstalled and so it's a pretty enormous task which I haven't a clue where to start with - I had a go but I just don't understand.

I haven't even made a backup of the tables because I only installed XOOPS a little while ago and I was building the whole thing with the site shut.

So can anyone help me out with just getting this site back to normal?

I've been angrily told that if this 'silly CMS' isn't fixed by Monday they'll move to a 'proper CMS'...

So any help/suggestions would be MOST appreciated!

jensclas
Re: Module File for Not Found! - Save Xoops from Joomla!

Question 1: What was the module that made everything go pear shaped???

general advice:
Don't know if this will help but maintaining file integrity when you unzip a downloaded module is really important. You ftp program could also be dodgy - I have tried a few and ended up with smart ftp which gives me very little grief.

The next thing to consider is make sure you are uploading current modules that go with the current version of xoops.

Please make sure you have followed the module unzip and upload steps in the tutorials link below:

New users should always checkout the following:
1. Documentation - linked on the left. Specifically the administration manual
2. The FAQ section - linked on the left - specifically the sections on gloassry, beginners first steps, modules, blocks and themes. There are links to visual tutorials here.
3. The search function on the top right.
Please check also the read B4U post link below if you have problems.

For Visual tutorials please go here

HTH

Bender
  • 2007/1/11 22:07

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Did this happen immediately after installing a new module?

Look into your folder structure - it should be

Xoops Main folder \ modules \
and inside here for every module you find there should have in its main directory a file xoops_version.php.

Is that still the case?

You can contact me by pm if you are willing to have a stranger have a look at the inside. Not sure about your timezone ... but a good time to contact me probably would be some hours before the post you made today .
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

LiliVG
  • 2007/1/12 2:23

• LiliVG

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/12/25

it shouldn't be in a sub-sub directory. i've had that problem before when I accidentally uploaded the "cover" file with the module file within. All modules need to be directly inside the modules folder.

MadFish
  • 2007/1/12 6:00

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
So I need some help in recovering this, basically I get loads of empty module entries saying 'Module File for Not Found!' which basically mean the entire CMS grinds to a halt and I can't install/remove/modify any modules...

The good news is that this is easy to fix. What you have done is upload the wrong folder into the /module directory. Many modules come 'wrapped' in several layers of folders that you don't need, for example:

public_html/modules/whatevermodule

You need to discard the outer folders, ie. only upload the whatevermodule directory into /modules. If you put *anything else* in there it will generate the errors you are seeing.

In your current situation, you can simply delete anything reporting 'module file not found' as it is not currently installed (but leave the index.htm file alone).

Quote:
I've tried everything except the final stage which says about going into phpmyadmin and modifying all the tables manually - my host doesn't supply phpmyadmin preinstalled and so it's a pretty enormous task which I haven't a clue where to start with - I had a go but I just don't understand.

Do not do this, it will not help. However, there is a phpmyadmin module available that you may find useful to install later on, since your host doesn't provide it.

Quote:
I haven't even made a backup of the tables because I only installed XOOPS a little while ago and I was building the whole thing with the site shut.

Everyone makes this mistake at least once However if you haven't got the modules installed properly yet then you have only lost a few minutes work in configuring the site.

Quote:
So can anyone help me out with just getting this site back to normal? I've been angrily told that if this 'silly CMS' isn't fixed by Monday they'll move to a 'proper CMS'...

1. Have a look in your /module directory. Delete anything that is reporting 'module file not found' in the admin => system => modules section of the control panel. The errors will disappear.

2. Take a look at each module you want to install. Remove any unecessary outer folders, and upload only the one bearing the module name into the /modules directory.

3. You should now be able to cleanly install all the modules you want.

But don't forget to check each module's readme as some require additional steps to be taken, such as making certain folders writable etc, and some newer ones like CBB may require additional tools to be uploaded in order to function (eg. Frameworks).

Please also download the Operations Guide.

elroy62
  • 2007/1/12 7:45

• elroy62

• Just popping in

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for your replies - it's given me hope that I'll resolve this!

I think I'll take up Bender on his offer in case I break it any further!

elroy62
  • 2007/1/13 17:36

• elroy62

• Just popping in

Hi everyone, I'm very pleased to say that Bender has managed to do some clever stuff and the site now works hunky dory - I'm installing backpack as we speak and will ensure a regular backup is ready to be used whenever needed! ;)

Bender
  • 2007/1/13 19:27

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Just to close this up.

Basicly there were three issues:

- some empty module entries in the database (no belonging module tables, no uid/group connections)
- a missing (renamed) module folder
- one module folder with wrong use of upper/lowercase.

(did i mention that it is a bad idea to use uppercase in module development for foldernames/filenames?)
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits