cydud3
Website hacked...need help upgrading!!
  • 2006/12/27 10:51

• cydud3

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/10

Hi. I need someone to enlighten me how to upgrade my installation of Xoops. My website has been repeatedly hacked and I thought I should upgrade to the newest version in an attempt to stop this. I am running a couple of XOOPS websites, one of which is vital and cannot afford any downtime.

The version of XOOPS that I have currently is 2.0.11 and my problem is that I cannot find an upgrade package for this version. The closest ones I can find are the following:

Xoops-2.0.10-to-2.0.12a.zip
Xoops-2.0.12a-to-2.0.13.zip
xoops-2.0.14-to-2.0.16.zip

I'm not sure I can safely apply these updates since they skip version numbers between them. Can somebody please confirm if it is safe to do so.

Also, if anybody has suggestions on how to protect my XOOPS website from getting hacked please post and share. Thanks.

wizanda
Re: Website hacked...need help upgrading!!
  • 2006/12/27 12:28

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

You can install Xoops-Protector for added security.....

As for upgrading, since you have so many steps....

Easier I find is to reinstall it completely...
Take the information of each modules MySql, separately first...
Then install the latest version of Xoops....
Re-install each of the modules....
Then overwrite the information for each module.....
Then you get a clean copy and don't have to upload then upgrade, upload, upgrade, ect....also finding all upgrade scripts...

Just an idea, else you can do all the upgrades individually otherwise....which should be ok as long as you do each as instructed, as most peoples sites have had to be upgrade like that.

stefan88
  • 2006/12/27 12:29

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

In the full 2.0.14 package readme, you can find this:

Quote:
Upgrading from any XOOPS version between 2.0.10 and 2.0.13.2

1. Copy the content of the htdocs/ folder except mainfile.php over your existing installation.
2. Delete the following folders and files:
* class/smarty/core
* class/smarty/plugins/resource.db.php
3. Empty the templates_c folder (except index.html)
4. Upload the upgrade folder to your site
5. Ensure the server can write to mainfile.php
6. Login using an administrator account
7. Access <your.site.url>/upgrade/ using your browser, and follow the instructions
8. Write-protect mainfile.php again
9. Remove the upgrade folder after use

I can not say if it works by own experience, but can give this advice: BACKUP FIRST!

Good luck ...

cydud3
  • 2006/12/27 16:36

• cydud3

• Just popping in

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to upgrade straight to 2.0.14 when I have the chance. This route seems to be easier than doing a complete reinstall. Maybe perhaps 2.0.16 has a similar option.

jensclas

From 2.0.14 onwards there are simple upgrade packages.

cydud3
  • 2007/1/3 14:13

• cydud3

• Just popping in

I need help urgently. I was able to upgrade to 2.0.14 successfully. I then tried to do an upgrade to 2.0.16 by uploading the upgrade package but when i tried to go to go tohttp://www.mysite.com/upgrade it gave me the following:

Quote:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class upgrade_2014 in /home/mysite/public_html/upgrade/upd-2.0.13-to-2.0.14/index.php on line 3

The funny thing is that I did the exact same upgrade on my other site and it worked fine.

If somebody knows how to fix this or work around it, please let me know ASAP.

cydud3
  • 2007/1/4 5:54

• cydud3

• Just popping in

Bump....

I still need some help with this...anyone?

Can somebody tell me how a partial upgrade will affect my site? I've done everything except run the upgrade script. Or is there a manual way to run the script?

jensclas

If it worked fine on one site and not the other my incination is to suspect cyber grmelins - I would try reuploading the package - it possibly missed a file somewhere. It's less time consuming than troubleshooting for the file in error if it works. Sorry i don;t have the skills to suggest what is causing the error other than this.

cydud3
  • 2007/1/5 9:00

• cydud3

• Just popping in

Thanks for at least suggesting something. Unfortunately, I reuploaded the full upgraded already...that's the first thing I did basically. Still, the problem exist. The site is still working fine though but I can't help but think that it's going to fall apart soon.

I hope any of the core developers will be able to see this and help me out.

cydud3
  • 2007/1/5 9:05

• cydud3

• Just popping in

Thanks for at least suggesting something. Unfortunately, I reuploaded the full upgraded already...that's the first thing I did basically. Still, the problem exist. The site is still working fine though but I can't help but think that it's going to fall apart soon.

I hope any of the core developers will be able to see this and help me out.

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits