Ace_Armstrong
Migrating to Dreamhost...can anyone help?

I very much wish to move my existing XOOPS sites from my old host provider--which was great until about six months ago when they went to crap--to Dreamhost.com. My problem, of course, is that Dreamhost.com seems to have a very different way of dealing with, well, everything than my old host provider did.

Has anyone successfully migrated a XOOPS site to Dreamhost, and if so, can you tell me how you did it? My biggest problem seems to be in setting up the database and paths thereto without starting over from scratch.

Thanks!
Ace Armstrong
The Man. The Myth. The Mammal.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Intelligent, informed debate good. Innuendo bad. See for yourself!
www.GLOAMING.us

irmtfan
Re: Migrating to Dreamhost...can anyone help?
  • 2006/12/30 7:27

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

moving a XOOPS site is not related to the host unless the new host has different MySQL version ( 4 and 5)
please read this faq:
How do I move my site from one server to another

jeffgr
  • 2006/12/30 7:56

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

I just moved a site to dreamhost the other day...because they offer php v5!

I had to set up a new db using their control panel..I believe it was under the "goodies" tab, and then under the MySQL link.

I think it was straightforward after this...but if you have any other specific questions, ask them here.

Cheers,

J.

Ace_Armstrong

Quote:

jeffgr wrote:
I just moved a site to dreamhost the other day...because they offer php v5!

I had to set up a new db using their control panel..I believe it was under the "goodies" tab, and then under the MySQL link.

I think it was straightforward after this...but if you have any other specific questions, ask them here.

Cheers,

J.

Well, part of the problem I'm having with my old host is that they upgraded to PHP5 and it broke my XOOPS sites. Then they moved the sites, but didn't set the DNS correctly. Then they went in and modified the A records and set them up wrong. Then they moved to new servers but didn't modify any of the records, so my domain names were all pointing to non-existent servers, then . . . .

Anyway, my problem is getting the database set up. Unless I give my clients permission to add new domains and such (which I *don't* want to give them), I can't seem to find any way to let them manage databases. I'm also not sure how to get the physical path of the database; Dreamhost's setup is very, very different from my old host provider. I'm not even sure where to upload the sql files the paths are so different.
Ace Armstrong
www.GLOAMING.us

irmtfan
  • 2006/12/30 19:51

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

read the faq in my prev post.
if your new and old hosting has cpanel you dont have any problem in moving your site

Ace_Armstrong

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
read the faq in my prev post.
if your new and old hosting has cpanel you dont have any problem in moving your site

Well, that's the problem: the new host doesn't have cpanel. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to use Dreamhost for any of the sites other than my own because you apparently can't give customers control of their own databases without also allowing them to create their own domains. Kinda dumb, but that seems to be the way it's set up.
Ace Armstrong
www.GLOAMING.us

Ace_Armstrong

Well, I got most of it to work: moved my XOOPS site to a new server, got the database moved and installed and connectable, and edited the mainfile.php . . . but I now get this error whenever I try to get to the site:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /path/path/path/header.php on line 35

I got nothing on why it's doing this. Any ideas?

(Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!)
Ace Armstrong
www.GLOAMING.us

Ace_Armstrong

FWIW: I think I'm running 2.0.15 (although it might be .14 or .16) and I haven't modified the header.php file. When I modify the header.php file to remove the lines referring to the start and stop events (which seem to be the offending lines), the error goes away and I get a blank page. I am unable to activate the debugging mode, though, even by running the sql query.

If anyone has any ideas at all, I'd love to hear them. (Fortunately, the site is still intact on the old server and I still have the backup files, so if I screw this up I can just delete it and start over without too much trouble.)
Ace Armstrong
www.GLOAMING.us

jensclas

That particular error is explained in the blank page FAQ and is related to 'failure to connect to the database' - please check it out and see if that helps...a search on the phrase 'Call to a member function on a non-object in /path/path/path/header.php on line 35' into search you may also find forum posts. (The search will ignore the 2 letter words)

Ace_Armstrong

Quote:

jensclas wrote:
That particular error is explained in the blank page FAQ and is related to 'failure to connect to the database' - please check it out and see if that helps...a search on the phrase 'Call to a member function on a non-object in /path/path/path/header.php on line 35' into search you may also find forum posts. (The search will ignore the 2 letter words)

Yeah, I checked that FAQ before I posted the first time and it didn't help. I also searched the support forums for keywords and couldn't find anything. I've been here a while.

It appears that I'm connecting to the database. I had some errors earlier that looked like they were related to a lack of database connectivity, but I believe I fixed those by pointing to the subdomain where the database is kept instead of "localhost" (Dreamhost won't let you use localhost.)

I'm wondering if what I need to do is wipe out the site, reinstall it from scratch, and then basically upload everything except mainfile.php. Does that sound like it might work?
Ace Armstrong
www.GLOAMING.us

Login

Who's Online

156 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 156

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits