sergentzimm
module installation issue
  • 2006/11/17 17:58

• sergentzimm

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/17

First off, why is there not a section to upload modules in the module area? I have a website that I am helping a friend out with and I am very new to Xoops. I do not have all the information about the site, so I cannot upload anything to it at the moment. I am frustrated that there is a way to upload templates but not modules?? help please

tripmon
Re: module installation issue
  • 2006/11/17 18:31

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

There are file transfer modules for xoops, but you will need to upload & install one of them before you can use it ;)

Some web hosts have file transfer applications in their control panel, look there.

Your Best Solution-> Try looking into an FTP client if you are planning on doing much work with -any- web system.

A simple & free one is filezilla (google it).
GL

sergentzimm
  • 2006/11/17 18:54

• sergentzimm

• Just popping in

The problem is that I am locked out of the ftp site, ie I dont know or have a username that works... The owner of the store is clueless about the website, so I am forced to track everything down on my own...

tripmon
  • 2006/11/17 19:04

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

Lol
I feel your pain & I'm not trying to rub salt in when I say:
Solution -> Make the 'store owner' get the info you need.

If they (owners) don't even know who is hosting it, you can do a whois search & give him a phone number or e-mail.

Tell him 'You can't make a skyscraper out of popsicle sticks and expect to keep an elephant on the 23rd floor...'

GL

sergentzimm
  • 2006/11/17 20:04

• sergentzimm

• Just popping in

Ok here is the kicker, the domain is registered through Network Solutions, so whois is a joke. I know just enough to be dangerous here, but I can't find out who is the host, just the domain registrar. Basically the Network Solutions page only has stuff about the domain name.

sergentzimm
  • 2006/11/17 20:19

• sergentzimm

• Just popping in

Ok now that I have explained it a bit better to him, he found it. So now all I have to do is wait for the password reset and I am golden. Thanks for helping me work this out. I forgot that I had not explained the difference recently...

Still lame that the module upload is not standard.

jensclas

Hi there

here are your sources to help you as someone new to xoops:

New users should always checkout the following:
1. Documentation - linked on the left. Specifically the administration manual
2. The FAQ section - linked on the left - specifically the sections on gloassry, beginners first steps, modules, blocks and themes. There are links to visual tutorials here.
3. The search function on the top right.
Please check also the read B4U post link below if you have problems.

For Visual tutorials please go here

Quote:
Still lame that the module upload is not standard.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this but just so you know XOOPS took a change of direction this year as it is so pliable, so customisable that what used to be considered key modules are no longer in the core download. This means that as a webmaster(site owner) you are encouraged to do some predesign work and consider exactly what modules you want.

Ever since I started using XOOPS 2 years ago this was the 'standard procedure'. Find the module you want, unzip it to your hard drive, upload it via ftp to your website, go to site admin/modules and press the install button, set the preferences and permissions, go to admin/blosk and set block access. The process has not differed in anyway except that we now do this for all modules since there are none in the core download.So IMO and experience there is nothing 'not standard' about it because this is how it has always been with xoops.

So the next question is where are the modules? Well XOOPS community is in the process of designing a new updated module repository which is not yet open. In the mean time you, and your client can both go and check out:
here for latest modules and here for the module playground. You can use the search function and look for news releases to also find recently released modules.

The other page to look at is the news pages on this site where module developers have announced latest releases of their own modules and host them themselves.

Finally 'search' is the best tool, or search google with 'xoops module' included in the terms of reference if you are looking to track something the is proving to be hard to find.

Hope this helps in your journey as you get used to the ways of doing things in xoops.

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits