robling
want to create multiple "forums" or newssites
  • 2006/10/26 15:39

• robling

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/26

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me toward adding multiple
"forums" (fora, if you're latin) or "newsgroups" to a XOOPS site. (thanks XOOPS creators, a donation is forthcoming). can someone point me in a direction? I'm so new to this that I don't even know if my email will appear it is rob@colorist.org

Background: I am attempting to move my Mailman-based mailinglist into
a web-based tool and find XOOPS excellent, though am a little lost with the
docs. I have 2000+ subscribers to a professional site (http://www.colorist.org/ ) and really want this to work well from the beginning so as to make a smooth transition.

My main question is: how do I develop multiple news forums, and where can I find more docs on the admin options for creating these? platform in case you need to know is Fedora Core 3.

thank you very much in advance.
Rob Lingelbach
rob@colorist.org

jensclas
Re: want to create multiple "forums" or newssites

Hi robling

Take a minute to have a look at the XOOPS fourms setup here - you will see that there are loads of 'categories' and inside each one is a set of forums on different topics. eg Community support forums, module support forums etc. With the module called CBB you can create as many forum categories and individual forums as you wish. So you only need the one module and within it you can structure as you wish. Spend a bi of time planning your categories and the individual forums within them.

As for news articles the same concept applies - you create 'categories' or if you like sections for news - eg world news, sports, site new etc. Then you can post article into your 'news' module and select which category you wish it to appear under.

Quote:
and where can I find more docs on the admin options for creating these?

You can't do much better than this as a starting point:
New users should always checkout the following:
1. Documentation - linked on the left. Specifically the administration manual
2. The FAQ section - linked on the left - specifically the sections on gloassry, beginners first steps, modules, blocks and themes. There are links to visual tutorials here.
3. The search function on the top right.
Please check also the read B4U post link below if you have problems.

For Visual tutorials please go here

Please look at the 'visual introduction to xoops' at the documentation website so you get a sense of how it works.

Our latest vesions of XOOPS do not come with core module packages as described or referred to in the documents - but there are xoopsers who have put together module packages and module playgrounds for your benefit:
You can try here for latest modules and here for the module playground. You can use the search function and look for news releases to also find recently released modules.

HTH

RachelVirago
Re: want to create multiple "forums" or newssites

Hi robling, regarding your email address I would not recomend posting your email address in forum, over the long haul it's likely to attract a lot of spam. The profile field email address plus the check box "allow otheres to see email address" allow for a more secure way to "publish" your address (or not).

When you set your XOOPS up it's also a good idea not to use the master email account for your hosting, instead create one for admin purposes which can easily be changed if you have any problems.
Being transgender is NOT a choice.

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits