• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
Agreed. Running Gentoo here as well

My brother in Gentoo!

Quote:
do they do a 64bit version of gentoo?

Oh yes. Supports: alpha amd64 hppa ia64 ppc (32 bit) ppc64 sparc64 x86

I've got it running on some of my older machines.. Gentoo with XFCE4 + VNCServer and I've got a perfect remote server which I can VNC onto.

Also got it running on a few XBOXs as well (perfect for low electricity 24/7 usage...ie running BIND, Asterisk, OpenVPN etc..)

bky1701
Re: Microsoft Extortion on Vista Licensing
  • 2006/10/18 12:13

• bky1701

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/9/18

I wish I could move to linux, but I do a lot of 3d modeling and blender just doesn't cut it. I have been working on settup up a VM to run apps that are windows-only (since my window filesystem can't get removed anyway, too much importent data).

I never bought windows- it came with my computers, but that's ending now since I decided from now on I build all my comps. I fully plan to boycot MS and other prop-software as soon as I can.

And all my comps dual boot (in the case of my server, it only has) SUSE. It's just the level of system control I want- no need to do tedious tasks like hand edit config files, but doesn't fight you when trying to do more complex tasks. The errors out of the box are annoying, but after the first time it's not hard to deal with. And it's not like other linux distros don't have them.

m0nty
  • 2006/10/18 12:54

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i would have thought if you do a lot of 3d modelling and vector work, A Mac would be the better option for you.

I don't particularly like Macs myself, but if i was a professional graphics designer or 3d modeller, or music producer, A Mac would be the choice of computer i'd use.

dadoprom
  • 2006/10/18 14:23

• dadoprom

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/3/2 1

I am the LINUX USER! Why to use MS windoze if u can have linux for free, without any restriction? I use UBUNTU and everything works the way it should! Thanx MS I´d rather don´t buy VISTA - it is wrong, the way the people from MS think... MS, by my opinion, is killing themself and it is only matter of time when they fall down on knees! All MS bussiness activity seems like dictatorship... funny monopol goes hand by hand with hardware and software manufactures, they buy, buy buy buy everybody and everything. IT SUCKS. All their bussiness is agains my philosophy - thanx. They will not fool me, perhaps only the rest of the world.

Have u seen XGL under linux?
Everything is possible......
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.mla.sk

m0nty
  • 2006/10/18 15:03

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

some people have no choice but to use windows.

linux isn't viable for a lot of people yet.. especially Gamers.

if the software I used regularly for mixing music (in realtime) software such as Logic Audio, Fruityloops, Rebirth & soundforge & video editing software was available on Linux, then i probably would have no need to use windows either.

what software companies need to start doing now, is to diversify their range of software so that they can distribute their software on linux platforms aswell. only then will the mainstream users & gamers etc have a viable use for linux.

who knows? maybe Vista will be the beginning of a Linux generation, people will not be told what they can & can't do with their own computer.. and having to buy a new vista everytime they upgrade their PC + all the crappy DRM stuff might be enough to push every1 enough to go knocking on their favourite software companies doors requesting them to start writing software for linux platforms aswell.. i'm sure if the demand is high enough software companies will take note..

dadoprom
  • 2006/10/18 15:41

• dadoprom

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/3/2 1

Ardour, Rezound, Audacity, LMMS, Rosegarden...

here u have all of it on one pagehttp://linux-sound.org/

Everything is possible......
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.mla.sk

bky1701
  • 2006/10/20 23:17

• bky1701

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/9/18

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
i would have thought if you do a lot of 3d modelling and vector work, A Mac would be the better option for you.

I don't particularly like Macs myself, but if i was a professional graphics designer or 3d modeller, or music producer, A Mac would be the choice of computer i'd use.

3DS Max doesn't run on mac (maya does... but then I don't use that) and I overall hate macs. Same MS BS, only with hardware monopoly. It would take me much longer to do what I do on a PC on a mac of the same cost. To morons, macs maybe good (not an insult, just a statment), but I have my PC overclocked and modded, and I like the freedom to do this. Apple, however, wants to sell me as much overpriced white painted parts as they can. I had many problems with my HP BIOS and overclocking- I don't want to think what would need done on a mac.

I'd much rather run on a crappy OS but with open hardware then run mac os on their crap.

[/rant]

I will be more then happy if I can get a VM to run well, but using free software would be nice... but I don't think they really care about anyone using blender other then the people who already use it. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Heaven forbid you bring the topic up with them, or you are just told to fork it and make your own.... glad this thinking doesn't go for all OSS.

And the worst part is, I'd be more then happy to fork it, but I forsee ego problems on their part keeping my fork from going anywhere.

[/rant 2]

If you read all this post, I'm sorry.

m0nty
  • 2006/10/21 0:15

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

yeah i know exactly what you're saying.. :)

last time i used a mac it was my ex-bosses mac laptop or whatever they call em these days.. was a G4 or something..
well whatever it was just stopped working all of a sudden.. was dead as a dodo.. out of warranty by 4 months.. lol so he sent it back to which he was told it couldn't be repaired as the mainboard was blown and that it would cost more to repair than it would to get a new 1.. they offered him a part ex on a G5 model.. so he passed it me in the office and said, get me that working and i'll give u £100 cash bonus..

i took it home, had it in pieces on my desk for 2 days, found the fault eventually, and went to the local electronics shop.. 6 tiny surface mount capacitors & diodes later & a steady soldering hand i put it all back together (with 2 screws spare?? dunno where they came from.. lol) connected the battery and powered it on.. took it back to work next day and got me £100 lol oh and the 6 little components that i replaced cost a total of £1.30. so i guess a G4 mac would cost about a £1 to buy if apple say it would have cost more to repair.

and that's the only experience i have with a mac except for watching some1 else on 1..

Login

Who's Online

244 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 244

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits