AlienHand
Re: Somethings fishy with email sending from newer xoops versions...
  • 2006/9/5 9:56

• AlienHand

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/12

Quote:

McNaz wrote:
I am not sure if this relates to your problem but I had a similar issue where my host's EXIM server would reject my emails due to an invalid RETURN on my outgoing notifications.

I tracked this down to having specified an incorrect address in System Admin -> Preferences -> Mail Setup. Both From address and From name should be filled in. The From address needs to be a valid email on the hosting machine (at least for EXIM). I had another email server reject emails due to me not having filled in anything in the From name field.

Again, HTH.
Cheers.

Exactly my problem to ... had this problem for more than 3 weeks now ... still waiting for XOOPS (or core developer) to fix this. My hole project for a University is at a complete stand still.

still waiting...

waiting ...

caressing my gun...

Regards.

McNaz
  • 2006/9/5 10:42

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Hi AlienHand.

My reply suggested that the problem was not with XOOPS but with the way my MTA was rejecting my outgoing emails due to my incorrect setup.

Xoops' notification emails work (as they do here and on all my XOOPS sites). Unfortunately with current anti-spam measures in place it is difficult to write an email generating system that will cater for all email servers. This is where you will need to either configure your MTA or determine what the correct headers from XOOPS should be and modify accordingly for your site.

Peekay
  • 2006/9/5 12:37

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

OK. Panic over (for me).

It was a problem with (sigh..) CBB. Notifications seem to work as before with everything else. The world spins once more.

McNaz wrote:
Quote:
I stopped reading as soon as I saw IIS

I like a challenge.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Daigoro
  • 2006/9/5 12:40

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

The problem still isn't resolved.

And yes, the XOOPS notification works (kind of), with some providers and not with others.

When I reported the bug to SF, I also uploaded a version of the class.phpmailer.php which will not send out your mails, but rather dump the mail() calling arguments onto the screen.
With this, I found that some parts of the XOOPS system does send mails with valid headers and other parts does not. Some doesn't even include the To: field - which is pretty important, IMHO.
And the same goes with modules. Some modules send out correct headers, others does not.
Best regards,
Daigoro

McNaz
  • 2006/9/5 12:54

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
I like a challenge.

You have my complete and utter respect in that case .

Peekay
  • 2006/9/5 13:13

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

@daigoro
I confess I have always used 'smtp' as method and put 'localhost' in the list of servers. This seems to work on my PC (which runs the un-mentionable ) and on my web server (which runs Apache).

Would the problem with class.phpmailer.php still affect this?

I will run some more tests to se if any modules other than CBB have problems.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Daigoro
  • 2006/9/5 17:06

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

I suspect the problem is in the xoopsmailer and xoopsmultimailer, or the combination of them - and possible some expectations from module-developers thats not beeing met.
I believe the error can happen on all protecols, but I've only tried the PHP mail().

Both xoopsmailer and xoopsmultimailer have the phpmailer (which contains class.phpmailer.php and class.smtp.php) as underlaying layer.
Phpmailer is a seperate project (http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/), used by many other open source projects, and it's been stable (or at least unchanged) at version 1.73 for quiet some time. I'm quiet sure it's not where the problem lies.

The reason I've made changes to the class.phpmailer.php is only that it's the final destination for the message, headers etc. before it leaves the control of xoops.
The output shows errors, but not where those errors are comming from.

Peekay, you could try to go to the admin section, and in the system-popup, select to send mail to your users.
I'm quiet sure it will fail when you send out the message.
Best regards,
Daigoro

ananda
  • 2006/9/15 12:42

• ananda

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/30

I googled a lit bit around phpmailer and I know, this guy has some problems with ssl but swiftfor that matter worked fine on my account,
do you know, whether there is a way to make XOOPS use swift instead phpmailer?

Daigoro
  • 2006/9/16 9:44

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

@ananda:
It will require (atleast) a rewrite of the xoopsmailer and xoopsmultimailer classes, to use swift instead of phpmailer.

It would be nice to have a modern mail system, but I guess the priority should be to iron out the bugs thats allready present in the system before the message reaches the final destination. When that is flawless, then it will be easier to add new mailer systems.
Best regards,
Daigoro

ananda
  • 2006/10/9 19:13

• ananda

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/30

I could be wrong but would not be possible to use sendmail option with connection with other mailer program?

Login

Who's Online

297 user(s) are online (205 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 297

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits