bluehatblue
Is it better to host on linux or windows?
  • 2006/8/15 17:45

• bluehatblue

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/15

Is it better to host on linux or windows? I hear linux is cheaper and more secure.

I have used windows for years and thought maybe windows hosting is easier.

Herko
Re: Is it better to host on linux or windows?
  • 2006/8/15 17:57

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

For hosting, I'd recommend linux for OS, apache for webserver, MySQL for database and php for application platform (the famous LAMP platform). This is a proven combination and is favored above the windows platforms (which have their own specific set of advantages, easier not being chief amongst them).

Herko

nekro
  • 2006/8/15 18:31

• nekro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/11/9

I dont think it is easier... i made a LAMP Server on a Debian two times faster than a Windows 2000 + IIS + ASP + M-SQL or worst an APACHE + MySQL and PHP + Windows 2000.

I think that now most of the Web Servers are under LINUX and not more under Windows.

I also think that the problem is what technology you want to develop ASP.net+MSql or PHP + MySQL, you will find the answer in that question, PHP -> Linux and ASP.net -> Windows

Swain
  • 2006/8/15 19:33

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

I prefer Linux myself. I have ran on Windows servers and it sometimes gives headaches as far as XOOPS is concerned. I know some of the modules I run under Linux do not work well under Windows.

bluehatblue
  • 2006/8/16 1:40

• bluehatblue

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/15

ok, I am not sure I understand all that, but thank you

msdana
  • 2006/8/16 1:48

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Based on my experience, XOOPS and other PHP applications run much better on Linux. That being said, I do have a few sites that operate successfully on Windows, but not as well as my sites on Linux.

On Windows, file permissions can be a pain in the and some modules won't run under Windows. I've had to tweak some modules to make them function properly. Also, XOOPS has a tendency to run slow on IIS even when you optimize it for Xoops, providing your web host will allow the "tweaks".

In short, go with Linux, you will be very glad you did.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Login

Who's Online

62 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 62

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits