whooven
Backup and restore should be a core function
  • 2006/8/3 16:05

• whooven

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/17

I'm working on installing one of the backup and restore modules but it occured to me that backup and restore are so critical, it really ought to be incorporated into the XOOPS core at some point, with each new XOOPS version including an updated version of backup and restore that is sure to work with the new version. This core function should also be incorporated into all module creation so no matter what module you install, it can be backed up and restored (tables and data included, of course) if needed.

I don't know if that's a monumental task or not but it seems pretty important. No, you can't make me backup my XOOPS install but it would be nice if backup and restore would be simple enough, anyone could do it and won't mind because it's so easy.

I checked the development roadmap and didn't see backup and restore listed.
"I'm going to see if this internet thing takes off" - someone told me this when I suggested he needed a website.

Bender
Re: Backup and restore should be a core function
  • 2006/8/3 17:53

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Unlikely to happen since more and more features are moved into modules. Also this is an area i think specialized applications should cover and not reinvent the wheel all over.

What good does the core do me if it offers a restore i can´t run because the site is broken?
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Dave_L
  • 2006/8/3 18:00

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I don't know if that feature is planned, but IMHO, it shouldn't be high priority.

Even if the feature were available, I wouldn't use it. I do my database backups either using phpMyAdmin or the mysqldump command (for a manual backup), or a cron script that uses mysqldump (for automatic backups).

phpMyAdmin is a reliable, actively maintained tool. It's applicable to any MySQL database, not just XOOPS. Why re-invent the wheel, especially when the core developers are already so overloaded with work that the development schedule is far behind?

----
edit: Bender beat me to it.

whooven
  • 2006/8/3 18:28

• whooven

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/17

I appreciate your feedback guys, I really do.

Quote:

Bender wrote:
What good does the core do me if it offers a restore i can´t run because the site is broken?

Sure I guess but what good does a backup module do for you in the same situation? Plus with module creators coming and going and module projects either dying on the vine or being updated very slowly when new XOOPS versions come out, it seems unproductive to depend on the fluidity of some module creators good nature and free time.

Quote:

Dave_L wrote

I don't know if that feature is planned, but IMHO, it shouldn't be high priority.

Even if the feature were available, I wouldn't use it. I do my database backups either using phpMyAdmin or the mysqldump command (for a manual backup), or a cron script that uses mysqldump (for automatic backups).

phpMyAdmin is a reliable, actively maintained tool. It's applicable to any MySQL database, not just XOOPS. Why re-invent the wheel, especially when the core developers are already so overloaded with work that the development schedule is far behind?

I understand and I guess it goes to the question of who XOOPS is directed to. If the answer is geeks and developers (like me) then you're absolutely correct - hack your own backup. If XOOPS is aimed at everyone though, including simple website designers and enthusiasts who don't really know their way around MySQL and phpMyAdmin then I have to disagree. It seems to me XOOPS is designed to be easy to use, point and click, drag and drop (unless you want it to be more technical, because it can be). For those users who gravitate towards XOOPS for it's ease of use and relative simplicity, I submit they need an easy to use and relatively simple way to run backups.

At the very least I suppose there should be a document that spells out step-by-step what one must do to make a complete backup just in case something goes wrong.
"I'm going to see if this internet thing takes off" - someone told me this when I suggested he needed a website.

Bender
  • 2006/8/3 18:38

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:

whooven wrote:
I appreciate your feedback guys, I really do.

Quote:

Bender wrote:

Sure I guess but what good does a backup module do for you in the same situation? Plus with module creators coming and going and module projects either dying on the vine or being updated very slowly when new XOOPS versions come out, it seems unproductive to depend on the fluidity of some module creators good nature and free time.

Uhmmm ... bad written posting from me. I actually don´t use a module and prefer completely unrelated stuff for that. Usually phpMyAdmin.

Quote:
Quote:

Dave_L wrote

[...]
schedule is far behind?

I understand and I guess it goes to the question of who XOOPS is directed to. If the answer is geeks and developers (like me) then you're absolutely correct - hack your own backup. If XOOPS is aimed at everyone though, including simple website designers and enthusiasts who don't really know their way around MySQL and phpMyAdmin then I have to disagree. It seems to me XOOPS is designed to be easy to use, point and click, drag and drop (unless you want it to be more technical, because it can be). For those users who gravitate towards XOOPS for it's ease of use and relative simplicity, I submit they need an easy to use and relatively simple way to run backups.

At the very least I suppose there should be a document that spells out step-by-step what one must do to make a complete backup just in case something goes wrong.

[/quote]

I see where you are coming from and i agree to a certain degree. However i also think that whoever runs a db based website has to get some basic knowledge about MySQL and how to use databases.

How to do a backup and restore can be found in the faq.
(though the entry could be improved i must admit)
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

bleu_
  • 2006/8/3 18:50

• bleu_

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/1 2

After reading many posts, I am in favor of the module packs. Core should still be left as core for now, and backups can be done through phpMyAdmin.

I have tried the Backpack module, I like it so far. I don't know if some documenation can be improved or not, but I've been happy with XOOPS so far.

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits