puterpeach
Move from Subdoman
  • 2006/6/1 20:00

• puterpeach

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/19

I would like to move my site from my subdomain into my main domain for example "mysite.com/xoops/" to "mysite.com/". What are the steps to do this. I tried to install directly into the main domain when setting up Xoops, but could not figure out what my "physical path" was. I have done a php info file and still can't figure it out... don't know what I am looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Kim

jensclas
Re: Move from Subdoman

Go to the XOOPS documentation website and look up root path and physical path. You will find these in the 'glossary' of the 'workspace' section. It will also be usefull for you to download a copy of the installation guide and user manual in the completed documentation pages. You can also use the FAQ section and search on this site.

HTH

puterpeach
  • 2006/6/3 16:37

• puterpeach

• Just popping in

I understand the definition of the path and such. I just don't know what MINE is. I have tried to do as posts on the subject (by doing a search) have suggested and created a phpinfo file. I can not find the information about my physical path there. I realize that each server may be different, I use yahoo small business webspace if this makes a difference.

I do appreciate the information to sections I have not discovered yet on this website, however.

jensclas

Your physical path is your website path: Just looked into John seymours tutorials:

xoops Phsycial Path: Physical path to your main XOOPS directory without the trailing slash:
YOUR_Home_path/public_html
To get this physical path you will need to contact your host or look at the information your host has provided you. I just did a google search and it appears it will depend on the server they are running your site from.

Physical paths represent Windows system paths and can be used to reference files and directories that may or may not be web shared. Physical paths must be absolute path names, starting with a drive letter (d:\) or a network drive specifier (\\).

For example it might be
C:/Domains/some_web_host.net/wwwroot
0r they often use \ slashes not / slashes

One webhosting company provides this FAQ for users:
Issue:
What is the physical path to my web space?
Solution:
D:\W3Sites\mysite\www
Where 'mysite' is the User ID for the website.

Hope this gives you the right idea now - look for the info from your web host or contact them.

Cheers

msdana
  • 2006/6/3 20:52

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

This post talks about Yahoo Web Hosting and Xoops.

If that doesn't help, try doing a search for Yahoo physical path.

When all else fails, ask Yahoo
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

puterpeach
  • 2006/6/4 5:33

• puterpeach

• Just popping in

Thank you very much. I guess I will just make a splash page with an auto redirect... not really how I wanted to do... but I guess it is better than not running xoops. I really like it - tried running phpnuke and ran into so many problems that my head hurt trying to fix them all. XOOPS is so much more user-friendly.

blueteen
  • 2006/6/4 7:53

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/16

2 tips for your physical path :

for XOOPS_ROOT_PATH, use :
define('XOOPS_ROOT_PATH', str_replace("\\", "/",dirname ( __FILE__)) );

or to find your real physical path :
you can create a php file, and put this code in it :

<?php
print getcwd();
?>

call this page in your browser and you'll see your physical path.

jonsimmonds

Quote:

puterpeach wrote:
Thank you very much. I guess I will just make a splash page with an auto redirect... not really how I wanted to do... but I guess it is better than not running xoops. I really like it - tried running phpnuke and ran into so many problems that my head hurt trying to fix them all. XOOPS is so much more user-friendly.

If your on a linux host you can create a text file, called .htaccess in the mysite.com/xoops/ folder with the following code in the file

RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule 
^(.*)$ http://www.mysite.com/$1 [R=301,L]

that should automacally send all links from mysite.com/xoops to mysite.com , as well as update any records held by search engines (so long as their bots still crawl your pages)(dont know for 100% as ive never had to use this code to change from a subdomain etc before)

you would also need to edit mainfile.php to reflect the new physical path, and the new url(non subdomain) of the site
www.jonsimmonds.co.uk

puterpeach
  • 2006/6/6 5:02

• puterpeach

• Just popping in

Quote:

jonsimmonds wrote:
If your on a linux host you can create a text file, called .htaccess in the mysite.com/xoops/ folder with the following code in the file

nope... yahoo doesn't like htaccess files... :(

thanks for the suggestion though

Login

Who's Online

195 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 195

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits