mjmurphy5371
please help me make my site user friendly!

i just wanted it to be a user forum community and its opened a can of worms, for example, people cant load pictures in xcgallery and I also cant seem to figure out how to use it efficiantly.

please visit my site and offer criticism, suggestions, insight, anything!

Im very new to all of this and it was quite the challenge just to get this far...

here is the site www.midwestwakeboarder.com

WarDick
Re: please help me make my site user friendly!
  • 2006/5/4 8:06

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

On the home page you are confronted with donation requests, a login block, some unrelated ads, and some rather uninteresting pictures.

Logo is hard to read.

Give me a reason to login!

Why donate to a login message.

Let people see what you are all about on the front page.

Grant annonymous access to the forums.

Show some awesome wakeboarding photos.

Make me excited about wakeboarding.

Most importantly you must be patient.

Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

jensclas

perhaps you will find the docs in the find help docs here thread below useful...

In there you will find an operations guide. That should help you get a clearer idea of what you can do - Jack J's XOOPS for dummies is also useful.

Review: You need to choose a module as your start page if you are using 2.0.13 You do this in your system admin- if it is 2.2.3 or 2.2.4 do a search on setting start pages for these versions.

You need to allocate blocks for unregistered users to see when they arrive on your homepage. Seems to me since I arrived at the ost password page you have made nothing available to an unregistered user...go to your groups settings and let them at least see something and make sure that something is on the front page.

HTH

sinor
  • 2006/5/4 10:50

• sinor

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/13

Quote:

WarDick wrote:

Give me a reason to login!

Why donate to a login message.

mjmurphy5371

okay thanks for the suggestions, all noted.

I cant figure out why the random pics block is all screwed up.

the forum module has been the start module since day one, are you not getting this?

WarDick
  • 2006/5/4 12:44

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

I am seeing no forum. You need to enable access to anonymous users.

What kind of help do you need with the blocks? The block looks like it works o.k. but the thumbnails seem to be generated incorrectly.
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

mjmurphy5371

what do you mean the thumbnails are generated incorrectly? something in our setup? something in the way they were uploaded?

These XOOPS forums are inherently unspecific in the way questions are answered so I will ask as clearly as I can....

How can I fix the xc gallery to be more user friendly? (none of my users can create and upload albums/pictures).

How can I make the main page come up without the login? I already have the ip board set as the start module and anonymous users should have access.....Im lost.

Sorry for the hassle, but I need specific instructions if anyone could take the time. www.midwestwakeboarder.com

gmarkham1
  • 2006/5/6 0:53

• gmarkham1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/6 0

basically the random gallery pictures are there but the pictures are getting cropped on the right side, and are taller then the space for the pics....

jensclas

Quote:
These XOOPS forums are inherently unspecific in the way questions are answered so I will ask as clearly as I can....

How can I fix the xc gallery to be more user friendly? (none of my users can create and upload albums/pictures).

How can I make the main page come up without the login? I already have the ip board set as the start module and anonymous users should have access.....Im lost.

It is good you are asking specific questions. However, we often have 'unspecific' answers when the question or subject is not specific or the wrong forum is used. Your thread started as 'help make my site user freindly' - now you are asking specific questions about module usage which are hidden in the more generalised topic.

So...ask
Quote:

as a specific question in the module usage forum

Ask

Quote:
How can I make the main page come up without the login?

In the XOOPS general usage forum - better yet use search because you will find it has been a question asked a number of thimes and there are a few threads on it already.

As for the pictures

Quote:
getting cropped

You may need to try changing the theme - or ask a specific question about why they are not rendering properly in the appropriate forum. Or consider looking at the way you page renders in another browser - eg IE versus Firefox - sometimes there can be a big difference depending on the theme - and it has nothing to do with the module. The FAQ section is a good resource for some of these questions along with the search tool

Now..I have not been specific in answering some of your specific questions - because I can't - I would only be guessing. However, I hope you feel better eqipped to get the most from the help tools available to you.

jensclas

Now - back to an earlier question:

Quote:
You need to allocate blocks for unregistered users to see when they arrive on your homepage. Seems to me since I arrived at the ost password page you have made nothing available to an unregistered user...go to your groups settings and let them at least see something and make sure that something is on the front page.

You still have not given anonymous users access...

You really do need to download and use one of the XOOPS docs in the find docs here thread in my signature - it will help you from feeling lost.

This is for XOOPS 2.0 versions

1. Go to your site admin page
2. Click on the system admin icon
3. Click on groups
4. Click on anonymous users "Modify"
5. Under module access rights put a tick in the box of all the modules you wish to give them acces to.
6. Under block access rights do the same.

The difference between 5 and 6 is that anon will be able to use the module in 5, but only see the selcted block of a module in 6.

You can also manage groups in individual modules.
For exampl under my Forum I have a 'blocks' tab where i can choose which blocks are visible and below that which of the three user groups - admin, registered and anon can see each block via ticking the box.

I hope that is specific enough. For more details please use the docs thread as suggested in post number 3 of this thread. We don't have time to relist all the instructions when the docs are there to do that for us.

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits