streetwalkin
deny access to a user with a low post count?

Is there a way to have a module deny access to a user with a low post count? Im using newbb BTW.

jensclas
Re: deny access to a user with a low post count?

I don't have an answer to that question but I wonder why you would want to do that.
Surely a low post count indicates that they need to be encouraged to post not be denied access? Imagine if we denied access to users with low post counts here? How many newbies would we loose!!!

If your concern is about inactive users clogging your DB then you have a very different question to ask about. If you want your site to be interactive then I would not be doing this. I think if you look there are some posts on ways to increase traffic, participation and activity if this is what you want to achieve.

Mantooth
  • 2006/4/6 15:55

• Mantooth

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/2

i completely understand why he might want to do that.

Some sites have large files available for download such as mp3, video clips, programs, game hacks, etc. When your site is relatively popular thousands of people come in, download ALL your files and destroy your bandwidth. A post requirement is a way to regulate bandwidth, encourage participation, and turn away people that in my community are referred to as "leechers"... because they won't bother to make a few posts to get access.

Smartdownloads fromhttp://smartfactory.ca/ has this feature built in. For other modules, I think you would have to enter some code into the module's header.

I hate Mortal Kombat

davidl2
  • 2006/4/6 15:59

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

It should be possible in most modules to simply limit access to particular groups, and to run a SQL query to change the group of users based on post count...

m0nty
  • 2006/4/6 16:18

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i might add that the new version of wf-downloads/smartdownload has the feature to select post count for both uploading and downloading. :)

davidl2
  • 2006/4/6 16:22

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Indeed it has, my talented SmartColleague

jensclas

Thanks Mantooth for the explanation...and makes me rethink some of the access on my site too...

davidl2
  • 2006/4/6 22:08

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Bandwidth is the one element that its worth restricting... especially with some hosting packages.

streetwalkin

Thanks for the links, lol.. dose any one know a fast way to convert my wf-downloads to smartdownload?

Thanks for all the help

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits