dizzymarkus
shout box and hacking it

I have the shoutbox set to registered members only. Can someone tell me how a poster got on and spammed the heck out of it as anon? Also is there a way to reset whats been entered in the shoutbox instead of smiling the bad out?

Thank you,
Markus

xoops 2.0.13

jensclas
Re: shout box and hacking it

I can't help you with how they got in but I had a similar problem with spam comments on my word press module and i don;t really understand what happened or why but I did do something to try and stop them.

I set all comments to be approved - not just the registered user ones. Since then I have had only one comment for approval and the comments are quite obviously computer driven - like a file that gets sent out in hunt of any open comment area where it can plant and repeat itself. I was able to ban the IP and they haven't tried again yet.

I also had to painstakingly remove the unwanted comments. Needless to say I haven't done much with word press since...Don't know if this helps but it might!

Oh...do a search on 'shout box' and see what comes up for you - and maybe rephrase your question and put it onto the modules section of the forum - eg can someone help stop the spamming in shoutbox?

This forum is a better place for a question like this.
Cheers

svaha
  • 2006/3/20 23:50

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

There is an update for the shoutbox that deals with this problem.
What doesn't kill me,
makes me stronger.

http://exm.amevita.eu
http://www.amevita.eu
http://www.alohaspirit.nl

dizzymarkus

Thanks for the replies from you both.

SVAHA---

I never started using XOOPS till after the july 05 release date on the shoutbox lol so I am using the latest. I read throughly the articles and saw nothing on the hacking and anon. Please drop a link to what you are meaning please.

Thank you,
Markus

aim4fame
  • 2006/3/22 20:42

• aim4fame

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/12

My shout box works fine and if thecontents get spammed I just login as admin and click clear rightnextto the shout button.
www.aim4fame.com
www.aim4fame.com

dizzymarkus

omg i have stared at that erase button before lmao and never thought of using it how stupid lmao. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Still doesnt solve how someone go in under anon and spammed when its set to registered only

Thank you,
Markus

PTlooker
  • 2006/3/23 0:07

• PTlooker

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/6/15

Just for the record that happened to me too this week...i just went to shout.cvs and deleted the shout... but if anyone has a "cure" for that would be nice

Jan304
  • 2006/3/24 20:10

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

Quote:

BMCouto wrote:
Just for the record that happened to me too this week...i just went to shout.cvs and deleted the shout... but if anyone has a "cure" for that would be nice

There is a cure for this:
https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2924

Remember however that if you enable anonymous users to post you still will experience spam problems.

I will try to get a hold on a XOOPS.org official to update the download repository. I'm unable to do so.
Oracle: I'd ask you to sit down, but, you're not going to anyway. And don't worry about the vase.
Neo: What vase?
[Neo turns to look for a vase, and as he does, he knocks over a vase of flowers, which shatters on the floor.]
Oracle: That vase.
Neo:...

PTlooker
  • 2006/3/24 22:21

• PTlooker

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/6/15

Can you give just the files to update? if i update all files of the new version, then i update the module on admin right? will i loose any info from the shoutbox with that?

Jan304
  • 2006/3/25 15:59

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

Hi

The following files are updated: xoops_version.php, shoutframe.php and shoutpopupframe.php. You can just overwrite those files.

Also, messages are stored in a seperated folder (uploads/shoutbox) so those are not affected by the update.

Greetings

Jan
Oracle: I'd ask you to sit down, but, you're not going to anyway. And don't worry about the vase.
Neo: What vase?
[Neo turns to look for a vase, and as he does, he knocks over a vase of flowers, which shatters on the floor.]
Oracle: That vase.
Neo:...

Login

Who's Online

259 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 259

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits